Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default ECCN and CentOS

hi,

Over the last few months we have been repeatedly been asked about ECCN
and CentOS and how things work work for companies/governments etc. The
usual response is: were not your lawyers, speak to your lawyers.

Would someone on this list like to pick this up as an issue and work it
out, perhaps document something on the wiki / website and try to build a
picture that people could look at, and take some useful information away
from ?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
David Hrbáč

Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> hi,
>
> Over the last few months we have been repeatedly been asked about ECCN
> and CentOS and how things work work for companies/governments etc. The
> usual response is: were not your lawyers, speak to your lawyers.
>
> Would someone on this list like to pick this up as an issue and work it
> out, perhaps document something on the wiki / website and try to build a
> picture that people could look at, and take some useful information away
> from ?

Karanbir,
this is something we are not able to figure out ourselves. I guess
you've red http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/ and guess there's no
one with law background on the list to handle. I can ask sis to look at
it little bit, she's international/commercial lawyer. As far as I know
Centos should be listed under ECCN 5D002. As for CentosPlus it can be
different, but I don't remember having restricted code/technology within
the Centos Plus. The important is
http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/do_i_needaneccn.html, submission of
classification request, as described in the answer to question 3. But I
guess Centos doesn't have CIR nor PIN, so Centos is not able to ask fof
the classification http://www.bis.doc.gov/snap/pinsnapr.htm.

So I would sum it up with:
1. centos is ECCN 5D002
2. if you (exporter) are not sure it is so, go and submit classification
request of your product to BIS
Regards,
David Hrbáč