Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Charlie Brady

Default CentOS 5.3 ETA?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> There is still no ETA because QA has not yet started (packages were not
> pushed to the QA tree). We're still waiting for Karanbir to come back
> from his honeymoon and/or Johnny to reappear ... so maybe you'd better
> continue providing support for the 5.2 kernels. But it's up to you of
> course ;-)

Is there anything we can do to help? It seems unfortunate that progress on
this project might stop if one person goes on a honeymoon and another
disappears.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Axel Thimm

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:34:54PM +0100, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > just a question on whether there is a known ETA for it. The reason I'm
> > asking is that I accidentially removed some 5.2. kernel support from
> > ATrpms (not for the 5.2 plus kernels, just the vendor ones) and if
> > 5.3 would take longer I would rebuild the erased bits. Otherwise I
> > would ask the users to wait for a couple of days.
>
> There is still no ETA because QA has not yet started (packages were not
> pushed to the QA tree). We're still waiting for Karanbir to come back
> from his honeymoon and/or Johnny to reappear ... so maybe you'd better
> continue providing support for the 5.2 kernels. But it's up to you of
> course ;-)

ah, these are wonderful news! Congratulations and a happy honeymoon to
you, Karanbir!

I'll fire up support for 5.2.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM
David Hrbáč

Charlie Brady napsal(a):
> Is there anything we can do to help? It seems unfortunate that progress on
> this project might stop if one person goes on a honeymoon and another
> disappears.

Hi,
I'm also prepared to lend a helping hand. I consider the state not
enough for "enterprise community distro".
Regards,
David Hrbáč

Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Phil Schaffner

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 10:25 +0100, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Charlie Brady napsal(a):
> > Is there anything we can do to help? It seems unfortunate that progress on
> > this project might stop if one person goes on a honeymoon and another
> > disappears.
>
> Hi,
> I'm also prepared to lend a helping hand. I consider the state not
> enough for "enterprise community distro".

Agreed - shades of the WhiteBox single-string developer model come to
mind. OTOH, managing a team approach has its own overhead - sometimes
it's easier to do-it-yourself.

I have quite a lot of experience building packages from assorted SRPMs
for local use - would be glad to pitch in if help is desired, and as
"real life" permits. In any case, efforts of the core team/developers
are much appreciated.

Phil

Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 02/16/2009 09:34 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 10:25 +0100, David Hrbáč wrote:
>
>> Charlie Brady napsal(a):
>>
>>> Is there anything we can do to help? It seems unfortunate that progress on
>>> this project might stop if one person goes on a honeymoon and another
>>> disappears.
>>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm also prepared to lend a helping hand. I consider the state not
>> enough for "enterprise community distro".
>>

> Agreed - shades of the WhiteBox single-string developer model come to
> mind. OTOH, managing a team approach has its own overhead - sometimes
> it's easier to do-it-yourself.
>
> I have quite a lot of experience building packages from assorted SRPMs
> for local use - would be glad to pitch in if help is desired, and as
> "real life" permits. In any case, efforts of the core team/developers
> are much appreciated.

There are several people with relevant experience around, some of them
being for quite sometime involved in the project. I am sure that a cry
for help will not get unnoticed, would such a need arise

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM
R P Herrold

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> There are several people with relevant experience around,
> some of them being for quite sometime involved in the
> project. I am sure that a cry for help will not get
> unnoticed, would such a need arise

There is a fine line the project walks between the various
roles which members of the core CentOS team assume over time.

As it happens this time (although the binaries were reported
as built), they did not get staged and spun where the
remaining folks with admin rights could take the next steps
needed for some QA and release of testing ISOs as we had
planned and blocked out.

It happened. In polling the other members not absent last
week, I think we are of a mind that we will not take steps to
compound one delay with a workaround which may impair the
value of work already done by a temporarily absent team member
-- more than a mere duplication of the build effort is at
issue here [easy enough with one off local 'leaf' updates, and
really not that hard in more the general case; just laborious
-- also the solution paths taken can introduce differing items
to bugfix for a general release]. I am loathe to possibly
break that absent member's workflow.

We are aware of the delay, and will take some steps at
improving the chokepoints identified this go round, just as we
do after every point release.

I wish I had an exact date to offer for a final release, and
it may be that we decide to expose a 'rough edges' archive for
those who 'cannot wait' to pick and choose updates from. As I
understand it, some information we need to talk through such
an alternative in the update process 1s supposed to surface
later this week

-- Russ herrold

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Yogesh Sharma

Hi

5.3 ETA Yet ?

Is this one person show ?

Thanks
YS

Old 02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Tim Verhoeven

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma
<ysharma@catprosystems.com> wrote:

> 5.3 ETA Yet ?

Still when it is ready, but I would say that in 2 weeks from now it
should be fairly ready.

> Is this one person show ?

Definitely not, the QA is currently testing.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Tim Verhoeven
<tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma
>> Is this one person show ?
>
> Definitely not, the QA is currently testing.

Where does QA take place? Pointers to how to participate?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
William Warren

On 2/28/2009 1:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> Hi
>
> 5.3 ETA Yet ?
>
> Is this one person show ?
>
> Thanks
> YS

one person show? try go searching the forums on centos.org before you
make a fool of yourself again. If you don't like the pace of
development..how about you pitch in instead of being asinine?