Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Gianluca Sforna

Default CentOS 5.3 ETA?

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Milan Keršláger
<milan.kerslager@pslib.cz> wrote:

> I would be glad if the CentOS team be a little bit community-oriented. I
> saw posts here about "soon", then "no QA yet" etc. This leads to me like
> prominent show only and not community project.

What I gathered from this thread is that CentOS actually _is_ a
community project, but the community driving it surely is not using
centos-devel as a communication medium.

Instead, i've read the forums are used for that purpose (though I
can't confirm or deny this assumption, as I have absolutely no time to
check forums of any kind). Additionally, I saw several replies to the
"ETA" question stating the packages are ready, but waiting on QA.

Though, I can't easily find info what QA means in CentOS, who is
involved in QA, how to help with QA...

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Karanbir Singh

Milan Keršláger wrote:
> We still do not have security update for the kernel even 5.2.z release
> is out (2009-02-24). This is extremely pitty as we are able to help but
> we are not supposed to (as we can read here). And we are vulnerable
> (marked as Important)...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/2009-February/msg00013.html

iirc, there was talk about this - and the decision was to not do the
z-series at all. So I wont be holding my breath if I was you on that one

- KB

Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Phil Schaffner

Milan Keršláger wrote:
> We still do not have security update for the kernel even 5.2.z release
> is out (2009-02-24). This is extremely pitty as we are able to help but
> we are not supposed to (as we can read here). And we are vulnerable
> (marked as Important)...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/2009-February/msg00013.html

Not an official release, but to help address the security issue
community member Alan Bartlett has made some pre-release kernels available:

http://centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/kernels/
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18733&forum=37&post_id=6880 4
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-February/072555.html

Phil

Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
John Summerfield

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Milan Ker�l�ger wrote:
>> We still do not have security update for the kernel even 5.2.z release
>> is out (2009-02-24). This is extremely pitty as we are able to help but
>> we are not supposed to (as we can read here). And we are vulnerable
>> (marked as Important)...
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/2009-February/msg00013.html
>>

> iirc, there was talk about this - and the decision was to not do the
> z-series at all. So I wont be holding my breath if I was you on that one
Eh?
Who said "z-series?"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Phil Schaffner

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 09:46 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Milan Ker�l�ger wrote:
> >> We still do not have security update for the kernel even 5.2.z release
^^^^^
> >> is out (2009-02-24). This is extremely pitty as we are able to help but
> >> we are not supposed to (as we can read here). And we are vulnerable
> >> (marked as Important)...
> >>
> >> https://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/2009-February/msg00013.html

"2. Relevant releases/architectures:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5.2.z server) - i386, ia64, noarch, ppc, s390x, x86_64"

> Eh?
> Who said "z-series?"

The OP - not that he was expecting it for CentOS, just pointing out our
shortcomings. :-P

Cheers,
Phil

Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Phil Schaffner

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 21:05 -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> The OP - not that he was expecting it for CentOS, just pointing out our
> shortcomings. :-P
s/OP/Milan/ :-/

Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 AM
John Summerfield

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 21:05 -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> The OP - not that he was expecting it for CentOS, just pointing out our
>> shortcomings. :-P
> s/OP/Milan/ :-/

I didn't take that to mean z-series because _everyone_ knows CentOS
doesn't have CentOS5 for them.

I did a little checking, and I don't see why Milan would be asking about
zSeries. OTOH, if this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Milan_Kerslager
is the same person, he doesn't even know where he works:-) so we
shouldn't be surprised at anything he asks.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Dag Wieers

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, John Summerfield wrote:

> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 21:05 -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> The OP - not that he was expecting it for CentOS, just pointing out our
>>> shortcomings. :-P
>> s/OP/Milan/ :-/
>
> I didn't take that to mean z-series because _everyone_ knows CentOS
> doesn't have CentOS5 for them.

With z-series they meant Extended Update Support (EUS). To avoid any
confusion I guess we should coin the term EUS too.

More information here:

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/12/18/red-hat-increases-service-levels-and-reduces-costs-for-customers-with-extended-update-support/