Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 AM
seth vidal

Default CentOS 5.3 ETA?

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 19:42 -0500, William Warren wrote:
> On 2/28/2009 1:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 5.3 ETA Yet ?
> >
> > Is this one person show ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > YS
> >

> one person show? try go searching the forums on centos.org before you
> make a fool of yourself again. If you don't like the pace of
> development..how about you pitch in instead of being asinine?

Calm down. No need to be so upset.

-sv

Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Yogesh Sharma

On 02/28/09 16:42, William Warren wrote:
> On 2/28/2009 1:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 5.3 ETA Yet ?
>>
>> Is this one person show ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> YS
>>

> one person show? try go searching the forums on centos.org before you
> make a fool of yourself again. If you don't like the pace of
> development..how about you pitch in instead of being asinine?

What is it that makes you so upset ? Earlier posts wrote "About
Honeymoon" etc.
If someone says it is "one person show" to release CentOS, I am sure
that you will see lot of support ready to pitch in.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Yogesh Sharma

On 02/28/09 04:42, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Tim Verhoeven
> <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma
>>
>>> Is this one person show ?
>>>
>> Definitely not, the QA is currently testing.
>>

> Where does QA take place? Pointers to how to participate?

Can we have an update on CentOS Main page about how 5.3 release is
progressing ?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Marcus Moeller

Good Morning,

> Can we have an update on CentOS Main page about how 5.3 release is
> progressing ?

You can listen to twitter:

http://twitter.com/CentOS

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Scott Silva

>> one person show? try go searching the forums on centos.org before you
>> make a fool of yourself again. If you don't like the pace of
>> development..how about you pitch in instead of being asinine?
>>
> What is it that makes you so upset ? Earlier posts wrote "About
> Honeymoon" etc.
> If someone says it is "one person show" to release CentOS, I am sure
> that you will see lot of support ready to pitch in.
The "honeymoon" info you are speaking about was a one time glitch in the build
process that was only exposed when one developer was busy. It has probably
been corrected and shouldn't happen again.

Usually the developers get irritated, and rightly so, about people hounding
them for a new release of software they will not pay for, or will not
contribute toward.

A bunch of posts of "are we there yet" just make things worse.

Anybody that is so impatient that they have to bug the devels should just pony
up for a RHEL subscription. This is like fine wine, and it takes time to get
it right. You would all be angry if they released too fast and a glaring bug
surfaces and does some damage to your data or reputations, so patience is the
best thing.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Yogesh Sharma

On 03/02/09 08:27, Scott Silva wrote:

> Usually the developers get irritated, and rightly so, about people hounding
> them for a new release of software they will not pay for, or will not
> contribute toward.
>
> A bunch of posts of "are we there yet" just make things worse.
>
> Anybody that is so impatient that they have to bug the devels should just pony
> up for a RHEL subscription. This is like fine wine, and it takes time to get
> it right. You would all be angry if they released too fast and a glaring bug
> surfaces and does some damage to your data or reputations, so patience is the
> best thing.

I agree with your comments at the same time if some information about
progress can be published or links can be published on centos.org
website will help others to understand and not whine about it or keep
posting "are we there yet". I am no where in demand of new version but a
humble to keep everyone updated.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:40:14PM -0800, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> On 03/02/09 08:27, Scott Silva wrote:
> >
> > Usually the developers get irritated, and rightly so, about people hounding
> > them for a new release of software they will not pay for, or will not
> > contribute toward.
> >
> > A bunch of posts of "are we there yet" just make things worse.
> >
> > Anybody that is so impatient that they have to bug the devels should just pony
> > up for a RHEL subscription. This is like fine wine, and it takes time to get
> > it right. You would all be angry if they released too fast and a glaring bug
> > surfaces and does some damage to your data or reputations, so patience is the
> > best thing.
> >

> I agree with your comments at the same time if some information about
> progress can be published or links can be published on centos.org
> website will help others to understand and not whine about it or keep
> posting "are we there yet". I am no where in demand of new version but a
> humble to keep everyone updated.

I think there was an identi.ca or some other twitter'ish feed giving
the latest updates of progress on 5.3 if I'm not mistaken.

It might be nice for someone not as involved with the technical side of
packaging up the system and actually doing the QA to be designated as a
"PR" person of sorts who could keep tabs on internal progress and post
periodic updates to the mailing list for people. Definitely natural
that people should be curious without necessarily wanting to berate
people for not getting it done "fast enough"

We all definitely appreciate the work of the CentOS team btw!

Ray

Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Ned Slider

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> It might be nice for someone not as involved with the technical side of
> packaging up the system and actually doing the QA to be designated as a
> "PR" person of sorts who could keep tabs on internal progress and post
> periodic updates to the mailing list for people.

You mean like this:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18223&forum=37

It's only had 22,000 views so I'm not sure how you came to miss it

"When will CentOS 5.3 be out" also gives the top 4 hits on google.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:30:41PM +0000, Ned Slider wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> >
> > It might be nice for someone not as involved with the technical side of
> > packaging up the system and actually doing the QA to be designated as a
> > "PR" person of sorts who could keep tabs on internal progress and post
> > periodic updates to the mailing list for people.
>
> You mean like this:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18223&forum=37
>
> It's only had 22,000 views so I'm not sure how you came to miss it
>
> "When will CentOS 5.3 be out" also gives the top 4 hits on google.

Pretty easily since I don't ever follow the forums. :-) (Nor have I
asked when CentOS 5.3 will be out either ;-)

Ray

Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Milan Keršláger

Dne 1.3.2009 1:42, William Warren napsal(a):
> On 2/28/2009 1:20 AM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 5.3 ETA Yet ?
>>
>> Is this one person show ?
>
> one person show? try go searching the forums on centos.org before you
> make a fool of yourself again. If you don't like the pace of
> development..how about you pitch in instead of being asinine?

I would be glad if the CentOS team be a little bit community-oriented. I
saw posts here about "soon", then "no QA yet" etc. This leads to me like
prominent show only and not community project.

Please ask for help if you are unable to proceed now, soon and quickly.
We don't want to steal your credit. We want to feel more safe, less
dependent upon free time of few "core" team members and not be pushed
into the dark (dont't ask, wait until we are ready, we don't want you
know about progress etc).

We still do not have security update for the kernel even 5.2.z release
is out (2009-02-24). This is extremely pitty as we are able to help but
we are not supposed to (as we can read here). And we are vulnerable
(marked as Important)...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/2009-February/msg00013.html

--
Milan Keršláger