Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Default Lang-Subsites still in womb ?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Marcus Moeller

Good Evening Al,

> Does anyone is already working on the Language subsites ? Is this an
> interest yet ?
>
> If you are asked to build your own CentOS subsite, what do you'd have on it?
>
> See: http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/langSubsites/cnus
>
> Please, add your feelings there (keep simplicity in mind when doing so).
,

I think I am currently the only one who is (more or less) actively
working on it. I have already evaluated phpBB as Forum software (which
is great, but a bit hard to theme) and managed the LDAP bind.

Now I have started coding an import script for the old/newbb which is
a bit hard as I need some help from a SQL guru and noone has cried out
'Yeah that's me, yet'

Your design mockups are really great. I personally welcome the first one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Alain.Reguera/CentOS?feat=embedwebsite#5301222327603873682

I have to take a look if it's easily possible to create a similar skin
for phpBB.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
John Summerfield

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Good Evening Al,
>
>> Does anyone is already working on the Language subsites ? Is this an
>> interest yet ?
>>
>> If you are asked to build your own CentOS subsite, what do you'd have on it?
>>
>> See: http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/langSubsites/cnus
>>
>> Please, add your feelings there (keep simplicity in mind when doing so).
> ,
>
> I think I am currently the only one who is (more or less) actively
> working on it. I have already evaluated phpBB as Forum software (which
> is great, but a bit hard to theme) and managed the LDAP bind.
>
> Now I have started coding an import script for the old/newbb which is
> a bit hard as I need some help from a SQL guru and noone has cried out
> 'Yeah that's me, yet'
>
> Your design mockups are really great. I personally welcome the first one:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/Alain.Reguera/CentOS?feat=embedwebsite#5301222327603873682
>
> I have to take a look if it's easily possible to create a similar skin
> for phpBB.

As a user, I've joined three or four BBs hosted with vbulletin, and one
with phpBB. I'd have to say the former is much nicer to use. It's
drawback is it costs money.

I thought fedoraforums was using vbulletin (it might have been), now
it's using vBadvanced which, at first glance, looks pretty similar, and
there is a free version.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Ned Slider

John Summerfield wrote:

> As a user, I've joined three or four BBs hosted with vbulletin, and one
> with phpBB. I'd have to say the former is much nicer to use. It's
> drawback is it costs money.

I have to agree that vbulletin is probably the best all round forums
package but it was discounted because of it's non friendly licence (and
cost). There's a matrix of requirements here:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Jerry Amundson

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Marcus Moeller <mm@gcug.de> wrote:
> Good Evening Al,
>
>> Does anyone is already working on the Language subsites ? Is this an
>> interest yet ?
>>
>> If you are asked to build your own CentOS subsite, what do you'd have on it?
>>
>> See: http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/langSubsites/cnus
>>
>> Please, add your feelings there (keep simplicity in mind when doing so).
> ,
>
> I think I am currently the only one who is (more or less) actively
> working on it. I have already evaluated phpBB as Forum software (which
> is great, but a bit hard to theme) and managed the LDAP bind.
>
> Now I have started coding an import script for the old/newbb which is
> a bit hard as I need some help from a SQL guru and noone has cried out
> 'Yeah that's me, yet'

Still no one? Ugh, I figured with the title "centos-devel" there would
more SQL talent out there. Might be a spare time issue, I know how
that goes. So, anyway, I can be that guy... What next?
I suppose I can start with some local testing. The idea is to go from
newbb to phpBB it looks like?

jerry

Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Jerry,

> Still no one? Ugh, I figured with the title "centos-devel" there would
> more SQL talent out there. Might be a spare time issue, I know how
> that goes. So, anyway, I can be that guy... What next?
> I suppose I can start with some local testing. The idea is to go from
> newbb to phpBB it looks like?

I have to talk to Ralph about that but I will come back to you via PM, soon.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> Still no one? Ugh, I figured with the title "centos-devel" there would
> more SQL talent out there. Might be a spare time issue, I know how
> that goes. So, anyway, I can be that guy... What next?

Want to tell us in a few words who you are? I like to know who I might
have to give out a login to sometime >

> I suppose I can start with some local testing. The idea is to go from
> newbb to phpBB it looks like?

Nope. From xoops (their forum implementation) to phpBB. Marcus knows
more about the actual details I guess.

Ralph

Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
"Worsham, Michael"

As per the http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
in relation to Drupal, I wrote a patch that allows support of MySQL split
read/write capabilities for master/slave MySQL database environments under Drupal
5.x environments, which -- from proof of concept testing -- has resulted in a
30% performance boost.

*

-- Michael

*

Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> Still no one? Ugh, I figured with the title "centos-devel" there would
>> more SQL talent out there. Might be a spare time issue, I know how
>> that goes. So, anyway, I can be that guy... What next?
>
> Want to tell us in a few words who you are? I like to know who I might
> have to give out a login to sometime >

Of course. Here's some pieces that I pulled from my dice.com resume.
It's relatively current. The main change from below is my employer is
now know as DTI, and the web-site (one of the servers I maintain) is
http://www.dtint.com/. We're an international software company with
400+ employees. Specific to SQL, a few years ago I wrote the
conversion of our support application - from Sybase to MS-SQL Server.
My daily tasks with MySQL involve the request system used for the IT
group of which I'm a part.

QUALIFICATIONS
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Enthusiastic about computers and technology for over 25 years
Excellent technical skills in anything Linux/Unix, from shell
scripting to kernel tuning
DBA qualifications with Oracle, Sybase, Progress, and MySQL
Very comfortable developing in C/C++, Java, HTML, PHP, ColdFusion,
Progress 4GL, and Perl

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Network Administrator, Publishing Business Systems
St. Paul, MN
1992 - present

Installed and maintained the company's first Microsoft network,
utilizing Windows NT 3.51
Installed and maintained the company's first Linux server, utilizing
Red Hat Linux 6.2
Responsible for approximately 28 servers running Unix or Linux, two
Xen servers, and one VMware ESX server
Primary administrator for all networking components, including
equipment from Cisco, Dell and other vendors
Key person for telephony equipment, especially digital phone systems,
and voice over IP
Provide technical support for customer connections via IPsec, PPTP,
PPP, RDP, ICA, SSH, Telnet, and analog lines

OTHER EXPERIENCE
Open Source Software documentation, development, and support

>> I suppose I can start with some local testing. The idea is to go from
>> newbb to phpBB it looks like?
>
> Nope. From xoops (their forum implementation) to phpBB. Marcus knows
> more about the actual details I guess.

Yet, from http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums :

H. There must exist a workable path to port existing data from newbb
over to new system

jerry

Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> > > Want to tell us in a few words who you are? I like to know who I might
> > have to give out a login to sometime >
>
> Of course. Here's some pieces that I pulled from my dice.com resume.

[...]

*grin* That was quite a bit more than I expected (or wanted)

But thanks.

> >> I suppose I can start with some local testing. The idea is to go from
> >> newbb to phpBB it looks like?
> >
> > Nope. From xoops (their forum implementation) to phpBB. Marcus knows
> > more about the actual details I guess.
>
> Yet, from http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums :
>
> H. There must exist a workable path to port existing data from newbb
> over to new system

Bleh. My mistake - I guess those two are the same ...

CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org