Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Farkas Levente

Default current state of kvm for centos-5

hi,
after a long time it seems the current packages which needed for kvm on
centos-5 host seems to working (ie. worth to change). my repo:
http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/SRPMS/
contains the current set of rpms what we use (about a week):
-----------------------------
libvirt-0.6.0-1
python-virtinst-0.400.1-1
virt-manager-0.6.1-1
virt-top-1.0.1-7.el5
virt-viewer-0.0.3-3
qemu-img-0.9.1-12
kvm-83-1
kmod-kvm-83-1
etherboot-5.4.4-8
-----------------------------
you can download x86_64 binary rpms too.
these are mostly the fedora src.rpms rebuild on el5 with small
modifications.
imho it'd be useful to add centos's extras repo too, since these are a
huge step even for the current rhel-5.3's rpms and the current kvm-36
which is in extras. these are usable on centos-5.2, so can be added to
it's extras repo, but there will be some patches in the coming
centos-5.3's kernel-2.6.18-128.el5 (eg. virtio) which has some more
benefit too.
any comments?
how are willing to add it to centos?
yours.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Farkas Levente

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Hi Farkas,
>
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:
>> after a long time it seems the current packages which needed for kvm on
>> centos-5 host seems to working (ie. worth to change). my repo:
>> http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/SRPMS/
>> contains the current set of rpms what we use (about a week):
>
> On how many machines / hardware configurations have you tested this
> KVM version? Since there does not seem to be much movement here
> upstream, I think it would be useful to test a new batch of KVM
> packages.

we only test with intel hosts and a dozens of guests, but this is the
first series which seems to stable and really usable (ie. better then 36).

> Of course, any packages that upgrade CentOS packages can only
> potentially be in CentOS-plus.

of course on the other hand there are virtio changes in libvirt and
virt-manager so it'd better to wait 5.2's kernel which has virtio updates.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"