Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 AM
jacky

Default How to split a DVD to CDs?

Hi, all.

I use createrepo and buildinstall to create a RHEL
DVD, but how can I split it to CDs?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Johnny Hughes

jacky wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I use createrepo and buildinstall to create a RHEL
> DVD, but how can I split it to CDs?

There is no easy way to split into CDs from the DVD.

You can use the program buildinstall (part of anaconda-runtime) to split
a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.

See this link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
John Summerfield

Johnny Hughes wrote:

jacky wrote:

Hi, all.

I use createrepo and buildinstall to create a RHEL
DVD, but how can I split it to CDs?

There is no easy way to split into CDs from the DVD.

You can use the program buildinstall (part of anaconda-runtime) to split
a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.

See this link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall

You could also google for fedora respin (also re-spin). Anything that
applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.

pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

John Summerfield wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

jacky wrote:

Hi, all.

I use createrepo and buildinstall to create a RHEL
DVD, but how can I split it to CDs?

There is no easy way to split into CDs from the DVD.

You can use the program buildinstall (part of anaconda-runtime) to split
a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.

See this link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall

You could also google for fedora respin (also re-spin). Anything that
applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.

pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29

Extract the tree from the ISO, run /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/pkgorder
against it and then /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/splittree.py using the
pkgorder output, followed by a createrepo --split.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 AM
jacky

--- John Summerfield
<debian@herakles.homelinux.org>wrote:

> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > jacky wrote:
> >> Hi, all.
> >>
> >> I use createrepo and buildinstall to create a
> RHEL
> >> DVD, but how can I split it to CDs?
> >
> > There is no easy way to split into CDs from the
> DVD.
> >
> > You can use the program buildinstall (part of
> anaconda-runtime) to split
> > a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.
> >
> > See this link:
> >

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall
>
> You could also google for fedora respin (also
> re-spin). Anything that
> applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.
>
> pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29

But how did CentOS developers created CentOS5 CDs?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Johnny Hughes

jacky wrote:
> --- John Summerfield
> <debian@herakles.homelinux.org>wrote:
>
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> RHEL
>>> There is no easy way to split into CDs from the
>> DVD.
>>> You can use the program buildinstall (part of
>> anaconda-runtime) to split
>>> a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.
>>>
>>> See this link:
>>>

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall
>>
>> You could also google for fedora respin (also
>> re-spin). Anything that
>> applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.
>>
>> pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7
>>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29
>
> But how did CentOS developers created CentOS5 CDs?

We used a highly classified, top secret method ... I could tell you, but
then I would have to kill you :-)

Actually ... I did tell you ... we used buildinstall

Which basically does what Jeroen van Meeuwen said ... then you write the
directories created by splittree to ISO using mkisofs.

pungi (as it is in fedora7/8/9) will not work as anaconda is not correct
in RHEL4/5 (and therefore not in CentOS either).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 AM
jacky

--- Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org>wrote:

> jacky wrote:
> > --- John Summerfield
> > <debian@herakles.homelinux.org>wrote:

> >> RHEL
> >> DVD.
> >> anaconda-runtime) to split

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall
> >>
> >> You could also google for fedora respin (also
> >> re-spin). Anything that
> >> applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.
> >>
> >> pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29

> > But how did CentOS developers created CentOS5 CDs?
> >

> We used a highly classified, top secret method ... I
> could tell you, but
> then I would have to kill you :-)
>
> Actually ... I did tell you ... we used buildinstall
>
> Which basically does what Jeroen van Meeuwen said
> ... then you write the
> directories created by splittree to ISO using
> mkisofs.

Yes, I did it. But I can't install it. Anaconda only
find rpm in the first CD, it seems that anaconda don't
know there are five CDs. So, what did I missing?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM
jacky

--- jacky <gtkdict@yahoo.com.cn>wrote:

> --- Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org>wrote:
>
> > jacky wrote:
> > > --- John Summerfield

> the

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall

> C5.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29

> > > But how did CentOS developers created CentOS5
> CDs?
> > >

> > We used a highly classified, top secret method ...
> > could tell you, but
> > then I would have to kill you :-)
> >
> > Actually ... I did tell you ... we used
> buildinstall
> >
> > Which basically does what Jeroen van Meeuwen said
> > ... then you write the
> > directories created by splittree to ISO using
> > mkisofs.
>
> Yes, I did it. But I can't install it. Anaconda only
> find rpm in the first CD, it seems that anaconda
> don't
> know there are five CDs. So, what did I missing?

I solve this problem by adding option "--baseurl" to
createrepo command.