Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Dougal Ballantyne

Default Where to start in CentOS-devel

Hi,

I am a long time Red Hat Linux/RHEL/CentOS user and would like to try
and start putting back into CentOS. Where is a good place to start?

Dougal

Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 AM
John Summerfield

Dougal Ballantyne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a long time Red Hat Linux/RHEL/CentOS user and would like to try
> and start putting back into CentOS. Where is a good place to start?

Depends on what you want do do. Helping out on the users list is good.
Examining the bugs collection is good, especially if you find something
you can fix. Offering a hand when volunteers are needed is very good.
Finding what happened to the s390 port and getting involved is good, it
seems to have stalled a few times. Writing documentation is very good
(but best done by people who have a talent for clear writing).

Using another distro is good: SUSE, Debian and others have different
ways of doing things, and sometimes their ways are better. There's
nothing wrong with arguing for their better ideas to be incorporated in
RHEL (or Fedora which is the more likely way into RHEL).

RH has just announced RHEL 5.3. Getting involved in testing and fixing
the about-to-be CentOS 5.3 is very good.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Dougal Ballantyne

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:07 AM, John Summerfield
<debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Dougal Ballantyne wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a long time Red Hat Linux/RHEL/CentOS user and would like to try
>> and start putting back into CentOS. Where is a good place to start?
>
> Depends on what you want do do. Helping out on the users list is good.
> Examining the bugs collection is good, especially if you find something
> you can fix. Offering a hand when volunteers are needed is very good.
> Finding what happened to the s390 port and getting involved is good, it
> seems to have stalled a few times. Writing documentation is very good
> (but best done by people who have a talent for clear writing).
>
> Using another distro is good: SUSE, Debian and others have different
> ways of doing things, and sometimes their ways are better. There's
> nothing wrong with arguing for their better ideas to be incorporated in
> RHEL (or Fedora which is the more likely way into RHEL).
>
> RH has just announced RHEL 5.3. Getting involved in testing and fixing
> the about-to-be CentOS 5.3 is very good.

Would be very interested and willing to help with testing and fixing
for CentOS 5.3. Anything to get started with?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Dougal Ballantyne wrote:
> Would be very interested and willing to help with testing and fixing
> for CentOS 5.3. Anything to get started with?

Are you speaking a language which is not on

<http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.2>?

I'm looking for translators there >

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Dougal Ballantyne

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Dougal Ballantyne wrote:
>> Would be very interested and willing to help with testing and fixing
>> for CentOS 5.3. Anything to get started with?
>
> Are you speaking a language which is not on
>
> <http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.2>?
>
> I'm looking for translators there >

Hi, sorry I am not speaking any of the languages not covered on the
translations page. Also writing is not one of my best areas of
expertise!!

-Dougal