Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Farkas Levente

Default one more problem with this new kmod packages

hi,
one more problem what i found with this new weak-updates kmod packages
that it can't updated ie. the previous version won't be delete with yum.
i don't know the reason but may be since it's provides kernel-modules
and yum don't update kernel* packages just install it. but imho in this
case it'd be better to update it.
any suggestions?
thanks.
yours.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Charlie Brady

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:

> one more problem what i found with this new weak-updates kmod packages
> that it can't updated ie. the previous version won't be delete with yum.
> i don't know the reason but may be since it's provides kernel-modules
> and yum don't update kernel* packages just install it. but imho in this
> case it'd be better to update it.
> any suggestions?

Do you really need the previous versions to be deleted? Ophaned kernel
modules don't use much space, and are harmless.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
John Summerfield

Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>> one more problem what i found with this new weak-updates kmod packages
>> that it can't updated ie. the previous version won't be delete with yum.
>> i don't know the reason but may be since it's provides kernel-modules
>> and yum don't update kernel* packages just install it. but imho in this
>> case it'd be better to update it.
>> any suggestions?
>
> Do you really need the previous versions to be deleted? Ophaned kernel
> modules don't use much space, and are harmless.

In years past I recall it was important to have the right libc. Can we
be sure old pg works with new libc? Where are the compatibility libraries?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Charlie Brady

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, John Summerfield wrote:

> Charlie Brady wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:
>>
>>> one more problem what i found with this new weak-updates kmod packages
>>> that it can't updated ie. the previous version won't be delete with yum.
>>> i don't know the reason but may be since it's provides kernel-modules
>>> and yum don't update kernel* packages just install it. but imho in this
>>> case it'd be better to update it.
>>> any suggestions?
>>
>> Do you really need the previous versions to be deleted? Ophaned kernel
>> modules don't use much space, and are harmless.
>
> In years past I recall it was important to have the right libc. Can we
> be sure old pg works with new libc? Where are the compatibility libraries?

We're talking about old kmod packages here.

I don't think it matters if they are not removed.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
John Summerfield

Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Charlie Brady wrote:

>>> Do you really need the previous versions to be deleted? Ophaned kernel
>>> modules don't use much space, and are harmless.
>> In years past I recall it was important to have the right libc. Can we
>> be sure old pg works with new libc? Where are the compatibility libraries?
>
> We're talking about old kmod packages here.

Look at the time I wrote it, I should have been in bed. I hope that's
all the nonsense I've disseminated:-(

Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Farkas Levente

Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>> one more problem what i found with this new weak-updates kmod packages
>> that it can't updated ie. the previous version won't be delete with yum.
>> i don't know the reason but may be since it's provides kernel-modules
>> and yum don't update kernel* packages just install it. but imho in this
>> case it'd be better to update it.
>> any suggestions?
>
> Do you really need the previous versions to be deleted? Ophaned kernel
> modules don't use much space, and are harmless.

do we need to delete any old lib at all?

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"