Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Alain PORTAL

Default CentOS/RHEL 5.3

Hi,

Does somebody know when RHEL 5.3 will be released?
What is generally the delay between RHEL/CentOS releases?

Regards
Alain
--
La version française des pages de manuel Linux
http://manpagesfr.free.fr

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Does somebody know when RHEL 5.3 will be released?
> What is generally the delay between RHEL/CentOS releases?

The official 5.3 beta period is now over, so it would be a fair guess to
say we expect 5.3 anytime from early to end Feb.

The aim is to get CentOS-5.3 released within a few weeks of public
release upstream.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 à 15:27, Karanbir Singh a écrit*:

> The official 5.3 beta period is now over, so it would be a fair guess to
> say we expect 5.3 anytime from early to end Feb.

Humm... I though it was at the beginning of january.

> The aim is to get CentOS-5.3 released within a few weeks of public
> release upstream.

What means "a few"? ;-)
Well, I have to understand that Centos 5.3 will be release near the end of
march, I can't wait a such long time.
So, I'll install 5.2

Thanks!
Alain

Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Karanbir Singh

Alain PORTAL wrote:
> So, I'll install 5.2

you might want to look into exactly what the .2 and .3 signify in there.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Scott Silva

on 1-16-2009 6:32 AM Alain PORTAL spake the following:
> Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 � 15:27, Karanbir Singh a �crit�:
>
>> The official 5.3 beta period is now over, so it would be a fair guess to
>> say we expect 5.3 anytime from early to end Feb.
>
> Humm... I though it was at the beginning of january.
>
>> The aim is to get CentOS-5.3 released within a few weeks of public
>> release upstream.
>
> What means "a few"? ;-)
> Well, I have to understand that Centos 5.3 will be release near the end of
> march, I can't wait a such long time.
> So, I'll install 5.2

When 5.3 is released there is a "magic" incantation that will transform your
5.2 into 5.3!

Here it is;

Are you ready?

"yum update"

Easy, huh?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, Scott Silva a écrit :
> When 5.3 is released there is a "magic" incantation that will transform
> your 5.2 into 5.3!
>
> Here it is;
>
> Are you ready?
>

> "yum update"
>
> Easy, huh?

Are you really sure about that?

--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:59 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, Scott Silva a écrit :
> > When 5.3 is released there is a "magic" incantation that will transform
> > your 5.2 into 5.3!
> >
> > Here it is;
> >
> > Are you ready?
> >

> > "yum update"
> >
> > Easy, huh?
>
> Are you really sure about that?

I am.

-sv

Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:59 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> >
> > Are you really sure about that?
>
> I am.

OK. If you say it, I trust you ;-)
I thought an upgrade was needed.

Regards
Alain

Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 19:16 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, seth vidal a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:59 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you really sure about that?
> >
> > I am.
> >

> OK. If you say it, I trust you ;-)
> I thought an upgrade was needed.

a long time ago that was potentially true.

the difference between yum update and yum upgrade was whether or not
obsoletes were processed. In an upgrade they were, in an update they
defaulted to not. This was necessary in a world where mutually
obsoleting pkgs were allowed. Since about rhel4 and beyond no one has
been letting a distro out the door with mutually obsoleting pkgs. So it
was not longer a big deal.

obsoletes=1 is now the yum default.

Hope that helps.
-sv

Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Les Mikesell

Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, Scott Silva a écrit :
>> When 5.3 is released there is a "magic" incantation that will transform
>> your 5.2 into 5.3!
>>
>> Here it is;
>>
>> Are you ready?
>>

>> "yum update"
>>
>> Easy, huh?
>
> Are you really sure about that?

It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much bigger
changes.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com