Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
John Summerfield

Default CentOS/RHEL 5.3

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> Charlie Brady wrote:

>> I don't think it is a bad idea. I just think that sometimes there are
>> some problems, or RedHat is not prepared to say that it will work.
>> CentOS 3 -> 4 worked for me, using 'upgradeany' option to anaconda.
> two days ago I've done 3.5 -> 5.2. via anaconda (upgradeany). no real
> problems except lack of X drivers after install.

The main problem I see is that sometimes packages get replaced by others.

For example. 2.1 contained wu-imap server. I think from 3 on (and
certainly in 4, I've not actually installed 3 anywhere), wu-imap was
dropped and now we can choose between cyrus imap and dovecot.

Similarly, wu-ftpd was dropped at some point.

When these package substitutions are made, there is no chance at all of
the old configuration being translated into the new.

And then there's postgresql. One has to backup one's data before
upgrading major postgresql releases and then restore into the new.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Joshua Kramer

> And then there's postgresql. One has to backup one's data before
> upgrading major postgresql releases and then restore into the new.

Not to veer completely off-topic, but the PostgreSQL Development Group
(PGDG) are very good about making RHEL packages. Unless the application
you're using is constrained to the particular PG version supplied by the
Upstream Provider, or you are paying the Upstream Provider for support and
you want to stick with their packages - using the PGDG packages will
provide you with more benefits than sticking with the OS-based packages,
provided you can justify the time to dump-restore. There really isn't a
compelling reason to stick with 8.1, as 8.3 has many performance benefits.

Cheers,
-Josh

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
John Summerfield

Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Alain PORTAL wrote:

>>> It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
>>> which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
>>> Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much bigger
>>> changes.
>>
>> No confusion for me.
>> I understood that upgrading X.Y -> X+1.0 is a bad idea
>
> I don't think it is a bad idea. I just think that sometimes there are
> some problems, or RedHat is not prepared to say that it will work.
> CentOS 3 -> 4 worked for me, using 'upgradeany' option to anaconda.

The biggest problem is when the upgrade is from wu-ftpd and wu-imap to
vsftpd and cyrus-imapd or such. There's no good way to automate such a
process.