Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Alain PORTAL

Default CentOS/RHEL 5.3

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 19:16 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> >
> > OK. If you say it, I trust you ;-)
> > I thought an upgrade was needed.
>
> a long time ago that was potentially true.
>
> the difference between yum update and yum upgrade was whether or not
> obsoletes were processed. In an upgrade they were, in an update they
> defaulted to not. This was necessary in a world where mutually
> obsoleting pkgs were allowed. Since about rhel4 and beyond no one has
> been letting a distro out the door with mutually obsoleting pkgs. So it
> was not longer a big deal.
>
> obsoletes=1 is now the yum default.
>
> Hope that helps.

For understanding, yes.

Thanks
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/

Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> Alain PORTAL wrote:
> >
> > Are you really sure about that?
>
> It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
> which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
> Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much bigger
> changes.

No confusion for me.
I understood that upgrading X.Y -> X+1.0 is a bad idea

Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Hugo van der Kooij

Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Andy Burns

2009/1/16 Alain PORTAL <alain.portal@univ-montp2.fr>:

> Does somebody know when RHEL 5.3 will be released?

That'll be today ;-)

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2009/rhel_5_3.html

Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le mardi 20 janvier 2009, Andy Burns a écrit :
> 2009/1/16 Alain PORTAL <alain.portal@univ-montp2.fr>:
> > Does somebody know when RHEL 5.3 will be released?
>
> That'll be today ;-)
>
> http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2009/rhel_5_3.html

Well! Good news! ;-)

Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Charlie Brady

Alain PORTAL wrote:

Are you really sure about that?

It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much bigger
changes.

No confusion for me.
I understood that upgrading X.Y -> X+1.0 is a bad idea

I don't think it is a bad idea. I just think that sometimes there are some
problems, or RedHat is not prepared to say that it will work. CentOS 3 ->
4 worked for me, using 'upgradeany' option to anaconda._________________________________________ ______
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Dag Wieers

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Alain PORTAL wrote:

>> > It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
>> > which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
>> > Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much bigger
>> > changes.
>>
>> No confusion for me.
>> I understood that upgrading X.Y -> X+1.0 is a bad idea
>
> I don't think it is a bad idea. I just think that sometimes there are some
> problems, or RedHat is not prepared to say that it will work. CentOS 3 -> 4
> worked for me, using 'upgradeany' option to anaconda.

Feel surprised to find in the RHEL 5.3 release notes the following
statement:

----
While anaconda's "upgrade" option will perform an upgrade from
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 or 5.2 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5.3, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will preserve all
of a system's settings, services, and custom configurations.
For this reason, Red Hat recommends that you perform a fresh
installation rather than an upgrade.
----

So they are advising to reinstall RHEL 5.3 even when you're running RHEL
5.2. Which seems scary to me. I would hope this is mostly because of the
many Xen improvements and thus mostly for their Advanced Platform.

But still, this is certainly no good evolution.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Alain PORTAL wrote:

>>> It has worked for every CentOS X.Y -> X.Y+1 so far (at least since 3.0
>>> which was the first I tried). They do tend to be big updates, though.
>>> Don't confuse it with an X.Y -> X+1.0 upgrade which can have much
>>> bigger
>>> changes.
>>
>> No confusion for me.
>> I understood that upgrading X.Y -> X+1.0 is a bad idea
>
> I don't think it is a bad idea. I just think that sometimes there are
> some problems, or RedHat is not prepared to say that it will work.
> CentOS 3 -> 4 worked for me, using 'upgradeany' option to anaconda.
two days ago I've done 3.5 -> 5.2. via anaconda (upgradeany). no real
problems except lack of X drivers after install.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
James Antill

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 15:19 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Feel surprised to find in the RHEL 5.3 release notes the following
> statement:
>
> ----
> While anaconda's "upgrade" option will perform an upgrade from
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 or 5.2 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> 5.3, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will preserve all
> of a system's settings, services, and custom configurations.
> For this reason, Red Hat recommends that you perform a fresh
> installation rather than an upgrade.
> ----
>
> So they are advising to reinstall RHEL 5.3 even when you're running RHEL
> 5.2.

*speaking _for me / as me_, as always, etc.*

I don't see the above text in the release notes, but what I do see is
the top section of:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Installation_Related_Notes.html

...which implies (to me) that the text you quoted is saying something
like "although a 4.7 => 5.3 upgrade has the same UI as 5.2 => 5.3, you
shouldn't expect it to work as well in all cases".

And, of course, that's all anaconda specific ... going 5.2 => 5.3 via.
"yum update" is expected to just work.

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora

Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Dag Wieers

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, James Antill wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 15:19 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Feel surprised to find in the RHEL 5.3 release notes the following
>> statement:
>>
>> ----
>> While anaconda's "upgrade" option will perform an upgrade from
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 or 5.2 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> 5.3, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will preserve all
>> of a system's settings, services, and custom configurations.
>> For this reason, Red Hat recommends that you perform a fresh
>> installation rather than an upgrade.
>> ----
>>
>> So they are advising to reinstall RHEL 5.3 even when you're running RHEL
>> 5.2.
>
> *speaking _for me / as me_, as always, etc.*
>
> I don't see the above text in the release notes, but what I do see is
> the top section of:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Installation_Related_Notes.html
>
> ...which implies (to me) that the text you quoted is saying something
> like "although a 4.7 => 5.3 upgrade has the same UI as 5.2 => 5.3, you
> shouldn't expect it to work as well in all cases".
>
> And, of course, that's all anaconda specific ... going 5.2 => 5.3 via.
> "yum update" is expected to just work.

I meant announcement, not release notes. See:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/2009-January/msg00000.html

If "yum updated" is expected to work, the quoted paragraph is very bad
worded. This is the kind of thing the Ubuntu people are using against RPM
based distributions.

And how ill-informed it may be, it is better to avoid than to remedy.