Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Alain PORTAL

Default Rebuild xorg

Hi,

I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.
Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the
xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need
xorg-x11-server-Xorg >= 1.4.99.1 :-(

So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my laptop, and I
want to use it!

As this is the first time I use Centos, could you tell me which tools I need
and how I have to do to rebuild packages that I'll probably take on Fedora 9
mirrors?

Regards,
Alain
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 22:47 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.
> Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the
> xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg >= 1.4.99.1 :-(

Are you sure about that? Most video cards have a VGA compatible mode?
Have you tried that? About the only loss is some of the higher
resolutions and maybe some performance. The current X11 might be OK if
you can use and live with the VGA compatible mode.

> So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my laptop, and I
> want to use it!

Might be more work thatn you expect. Will you have to use/build later
versions of Gnome/KDE libraries, apps, etc. when the new X11 is
installed? Will that require more changes in more underlying things?

My guess would be there's a lot of work there.

> As this is the first time I use Centos, could you tell me which tools I need
> and how I have to do to rebuild packages that I'll probably take on Fedora 9
> mirrors?

I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with that. But whenever
certain "core" pieces are changed, there's a lot of potential for
breakage.

Since CentOS is "enterprise", i.e. stable, not supporting the latest
hardware, gets mostly security patches back-ported, CentOS may not be
appropriate if you need is for the "latest and greatest".

The more knowledgeable folks on the list suggest another distro for
those that do need the "latest and greatest" without as much need for
the "enterprise class" stability.

> Regards,
> Alain
> <snip sig stuff>

Sorry I can't be more help that that.

--
Bill

Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le samedi 20 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 22:47 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.

> > Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the

> > xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need

> > xorg-x11-server-Xorg >= 1.4.99.1 :-(

> Are you sure about that?

Unfortunately yes.

I was unable to use the graphical install.

After installation, I wanted to start X but I got a grey screen, I was unable to switch between ttys using Alt F[1-7], unable to kill X server with Alt-Ctrl-Back and I had to restart the laptop with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

And I got the same grey screen and freeze when I tried to use system-config-display.

> Most video cards have a VGA compatible mode?

> Have you tried that?

Not with centos, but some months ago, I tried even vesa mode with Fedora 9.

> About the only loss is some of the higher

> resolutions and maybe some performance. The current X11 might be OK if

> you can use and live with the VGA compatible mode.

I can accept lower resolution if I can use X server...

> > So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my laptop,

> > and I want to use it!

> Might be more work thatn you expect. Will you have to use/build later

> versions of Gnome/KDE libraries, apps, etc. when the new X11 is

> installed?

Current Centos desktops and libraries are enough for me if they can be ran on a new X server.

> Will that require more changes in more underlying things?

I don't know.

> My guess would be there's a lot of work there.

Sure, if the X server rebuilt imply a near full rebuilt of Centos, this isn't really serious...

> > As this is the first time I use Centos, could you tell me which tools I

> > need and how I have to do to rebuild packages that I'll probably take on

> > Fedora 9 mirrors?

> I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with that. But whenever

> certain "core" pieces are changed, there's a lot of potential for

> breakage.

> Since CentOS is "enterprise", i.e. stable, not supporting the latest

> hardware, gets mostly security patches back-ported, CentOS may not be

> appropriate if you need is for the "latest and greatest".

I don't want the latest and greatest.

At home as at the office, I'm under FC6, which isn't supported since more than one year.

I tried Fedora 9 (whith difficulties) on my laptop when I buy it, and I could see that I didn't like it (particulary Kde4).

> The more knowledgeable folks on the list suggest another distro for

> those that do need the "latest and greatest" without as much need for

> the "enterprise class" stability.

I decided to leave Fedora for several reasons, a big one is its too short time life: 13 months is now unacceptable to me;

> Sorry I can't be more help that that.

Thanks for yours answers.

But I hope I'll get answers about tools and how to build or rebuild from scratch or srpms on Centos because even if I can't install Centos on my laptop, I want to install it on two older computers.

Regards,

Alain

Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Hugo van der Kooij

Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Dag Wieers

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Alain PORTAL wrote:
>
>> So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my laptop, and I
>> want to use it!
>
> Getting Centos to support all the weird hardware in my laptop was too
> much trouble with Centos. So the laptop runs Fedora. But all other
> systems run Centos 4 or 5.

I have a very recent laptop (Thinkpad X200s) and I noticed that Red Hat
backports video drivers from newer Xorg versions to the one they ship.
So even if web-pages say you need at least version Y, it is possible that
you can still make it work with version X.

You also have the possibility to make it work in VESA or framebuffer mode
until the support is added in the future. For a list of things that are
coming up in CentOS 5.3, see:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/2008-October/msg00000.html

As an example all websites say that my very recent wireless card (IWL
AGN5300) is only supported by kernel 2.6.26+, but in the upcoming CentOS
5.3 it works on a 2.6.18-210.el5 or newer kernel thanks to the efforts of
Red Hat.

My built-in camera requires the uvcvideo driver which is also part of
2.6.24+, while Red Hat backported the driver to the 2.6.18-210.el5
or newer kernel.

What I can say is that CentOS 5.3 (due in roughly 2 months) will have a
lot of new driver support for recent hardware. And you can already test
the upcoming kernels from:

http://people.redhat.com/dzickus/el5/

Also, if you have Red Hat Network access, you can download the RHEL 5.3
Beta Xorg drivers to test your hardware.

You can see my experience installing CentOS 5 on this laptop from the
following wiki page:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Lenovo/Thinkpad-X200s

BTW What video chipset do you have exactly ?

Good luck,

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le samedi 20 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 22:47 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.
> > Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need
> > xorg-x11-server-Xorg >= 1.4.99.1 :-(

I reported a bug for people who want to check xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3309

> Are you sure about that? Most video cards have a VGA compatible mode?
> Have you tried that? About the only loss is some of the higher
> resolutions and maybe some performance. The current X11 might be OK if
> you can use and live with the VGA compatible mode.

I tried to use the vga driver but the only mode that succeded to run is
320x200....
I can accept low resolution but not a such one ;-)

In the Xorg.0.log, I get many lines as:
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (insufficient memory for mode)
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (insufficient memory for mode)

for a lot of modes, and finally:
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "1280x800" (insufficient memory for mode)
(WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty
(==) VGA(0): Virtual size is 320x200 (pitch 320)
(**) VGA(0): Built-in mode "Generic 320x200 default mode": 12.6 MHz (scaled
from 25.2 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 70.2 Hz (VScan)
(II) VGA(0): Modeline "Generic 320x200 default mode" 12.59 320 336 384 400
200 206 207 224 vscan 2 -hsync +vsync

Regards,
Alain

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 14:26 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> <snip>

> I tried to use the vga driver but the only mode that succeded to run is
> 320x200....
> I can accept low resolution but not a such one ;-)

You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.

As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try

system-config-display

That _ought_ to get you going.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

2008/12/21 William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 14:26 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:

> <snip>

> I tried to use the vga driver but the only mode that succeded to run is

> 320x200....

> I can accept low resolution but not a such one ;-)

You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.

As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try

* *system-config-display

That _ought_ to get you going.

> <snip>
Alain,

Whilst you are at runlevel 3,* please copy & post the output of both /sbin/lspci and /sbin/lspci -n commands that relate to your video card. Apologies if you've already posted this information -- have I missed it?

There should not be any big issue in getting your card operating in VESA mode, as Bill has mentioned.

Alan.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.

In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try to startx, it
failed and I get the following (incomplette) message:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

As my default xorg.conf was created with pyxf86config, there is no mode
neither modelines defined.

> As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try

I'm in this run level since installation.

> system-config-display

I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a lot of
things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.

Regards.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Alan Bartlett a écrit :
> 2008/12/21 William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>
>
> > On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 14:26 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > I tried to use the vga driver but the only mode that succeded to run is
> > > 320x200....
> > > I can accept low resolution but not a such one ;-)
> >
> > You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.
> >
> > As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try
> >
> > system-config-display
> >
> > That _ought_ to get you going.
> >
> > > <snip>
>
> Alain,
>
> Whilst you are at runlevel 3, please copy & post the output of both
> /sbin/lspci and /sbin/lspci -n commands that relate to your video card.
> Apologies if you've already posted this information -- have I missed it?

On bug I reported (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3309) I joined a
lspci.txt which is the result of "lspci -s 01:00.0 -vv".

"lspci -s 01:00.0" output:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon
X2100] (rev ce)

"lspci -s 01:00.0 -n" output:
01.00.0 0300: 1002:7210 (rev ce)

Regards,