Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Rebuild xorg

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 20:00 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> <snip>

> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Alan Bartlett a écrit :
>
> <snip>
> > following is from memory -- from a CLI, you could try this command (IIRC):
> >
> > system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=24
> > --set-driver=vesa
> >
> > You might prefer to boot the system into single-user mode before invoking
> > the above command.

The vga= stuff (if you need to use it) should get you get a virtual
screen that you can use for command line stuff. Just remember to convert
to decimal if you code a value on you grub menu boot. If you use
"vga=ask" (no quotes) you shouldn't need to do it IIRC - it's been a
long time since I used it.

OK. Let's try some basics. Get into single-user mode (e.g. telinit 1) or
when you boot, grub edit the kernel= line and add a space and a "1" (no
quotes) to the end of the line.

If you get to single-user with a boot (adding the " 1" in grub edit
mode), alternate consoles will have some stuff of possible value.
<CTRL>-<ALT>-<Fx> (where the Fx is function key F1, F2, F3, ...) should
switch you to other screens. Also, <ALT>-<RIGHT> or <ALT>-<LEFT> can be
used to cycle through. If X has not been started, the <CTRL> can be
omitted from that first set I mentioned.

Once you are at the root prompt, do the system-config-display with no
parameters. Looking at the alternate consoles while the config is
running might be helpful.

If the system finds _any_ driver it can use - e.g. vga, svga, vesa - it
should bring up a graphical screen that has a computer icon and some
tabs for display, multi-head, etc. There's a couple drop-down menus that
let you select resolution, color depth, etc.

Select something not too "heavy" and save the settings and exit.

If only part of the screen is visible, maybe the screen is scrollable?
Try moving the mouse off the edge (Hmm. Is the mouse working during this
process? I forgot to test that).

1) Can you get/see what I described at all?
2) If you can, and if you make and save changes, you should be able to
get to a graphical screen later. BUT FIRST ...
3) At a root prompt, type dmesg | less and look for any messages that
might give clues. This might be useful regardless of the results of 2).

Also, there might be useful messages in /var/log/messages
and /var/log/Xorg.*.

I don't recall what card you have - nvidia? There might be a solution
for that in rpmforge (I don't know how new his latest is - but we can
investigate that later if we get a basic operation going for you. Also,
nvidia usually has drivers for linux on their site but they don't work
as we want for an "enterprise class" system. No rpms, IIRC).

Anyway, back to the main task. If step 2) above seems to have worked,
try

telinit 5

if you have anything at all that is working, you should get a graphical
login screen running in an X environment. That will give you a working
environment, at least, and you can pursue other things.

--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
> > I did what you said, but it seems I didn't get the expected results:
> >
> > Video adapter: VESA VGA
> > Mode: COLSxROWS:
> > 0 0F00 80x25
> > 1 0F01 80x50
> > 2 0F02 80x43
> > 3 0F03 80x28
> > 4 0F05 80x30
> > 5 0F06 80x34
> > 6 0F07 80x60
>
> Those are good. But now that I see them I remember that they are for
> virtual consoles. I don't recall that they would affect the
> system-config-display actions.
>
> Regardless, you can pick one at boot time if "vga=ask" (without the
> quotes) and you'll see different character sizes. If you code "vga=xxx",
> where the "xxx" is one of those codes, they must be converted to decimal
> first.
> One of those links I posted later has a link to how to do that.
>
> But, as I mentioned, I now don't think this will affect the X setup.

No, it don't affect.

> > So, no graphic mode as I could find by googling
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
>
> This link only has effect if you're using framebuffer. That's (IIRC)
> optional - I have it on my 4.x system, but I set it up a long time ago
> and would have to research to recall the details. It gave a nice speed
> improvement.

I found several links:
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

Unfortunately, I can't find the dot clock for the driver as I can't find the
video controller model "ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100]" on
the ATI website :-(

> Anyway, it's not mandatory. If you want to use it, more setup steps are
> needed. I would skip it now and continue what you're doing - get a basic
> acceptable setup running.
>
> > If I use, as an example, vga=0x307, when I startx, I can see saying 4
> > desktops
>
> As I mention above, I think the hexadecimal needs to be converted to
> decimal. It's been a _long_ time, but I _think_ 0x307 = 775 decimal. But
> I don't remember if that value is big-endian or little-endian. Big, I
> think.

Both notations, decimal and hexadecimal, are allowed.

> > on the width of the screen and height of these desktop are only 1/10
> > height on the screen, at the top of it
> > So, 9/10 of the screen is black.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alain
>
> I saw that another posted some parameters to try with
> system-config-display. I'm going to peek at that and see what else I
> might offer.
>
> I might save my configs and play with system-config-display a bit and
> see if any clues pop up.

Thanks!

Alain
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/

Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> If you get to single-user with a boot (adding the " 1" in grub edit
> mode), alternate consoles will have some stuff of possible value.
> <CTRL>-<ALT>-<Fx> (where the Fx is function key F1, F2, F3, ...) should
> switch you to other screens. Also, <ALT>-<RIGHT> or <ALT>-<LEFT> can be
> used to cycle through. If X has not been started, the <CTRL> can be
> omitted from that first set I mentioned.

If I start up in single user mode, I get only one console. No switch possible.
So I start in run-level 3.

> Once you are at the root prompt, do the system-config-display with no
> parameters. Looking at the alternate consoles while the config is
> running might be helpful.

If I run system-config-display in, saying tty1, it start successfully.
If I switch to tty2, then back to tty1, I don't see the system-config-display
dialog any more, just the command I typed before.

> If the system finds _any_ driver it can use - e.g. vga, svga, vesa - it
> should bring up a graphical screen that has a computer icon and some
> tabs for display, multi-head, etc. There's a couple drop-down menus that
> let you select resolution, color depth, etc.

Unfortunately, resolution is too low (320x200), so, I can't see the "Cancel"
and "Valid" or "OK" button of the system-config-display dialog.

> Select something not too "heavy" and save the settings and exit.
>
> If only part of the screen is visible, maybe the screen is scrollable?

Unfortunately not.

> Try moving the mouse off the edge (Hmm. Is the mouse working during this
> process? I forgot to test that).

Mouse is working.

> 1) Can you get/see what I described at all?
> 2) If you can, and if you make and save changes, you should be able to
> get to a graphical screen later. BUT FIRST ...
> 3) At a root prompt, type dmesg | less and look for any messages that
> might give clues. This might be useful regardless of the results of 2).
>
> Also, there might be useful messages in /var/log/messages
> and /var/log/Xorg.*.

I don't know if I can post such heavy files here...
This is a devel list, not a user one.
Xorg.0.log is 38Kb and messages is 435Kb !

> I don't recall what card you have - nvidia?

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100]
(rev ce) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I think now it's a X server problem as it can't compute modelines for vga
module. I get, in Xorg.0.log, many lines as:
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (insufficient memory for mode)

Lines differs in mode value

(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "1920x1200" (insufficient memory for mode)

I know that the 1920x1200 mode is doable.

Regards
Alain

Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 22:48 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> <snip>

> I don't know if I can post such heavy files here...

YIKES! I forgot about that. I'll post my reply in the normal list with
the same subject.

<snip>

--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-12-20, 21:47 GMT, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.
> Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the=20
> xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need=20
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg >=3D 1.4.99.1 :-(

I think basically you need to rebuild all xorg-x11* packages plus
whatever they depend on (mainly from lib* packages). And you
would need to stay with F9 packages, because for F10 you would
also need new kernel. It is a huge undertaking and I am not sure
whether it is worthy of the effort.

> So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my
> laptop, and I want to use it!

Strictly speaking that's not correct. You have two more options:

a) To stick with CentOS and when on CentOS do as CentOS people do
-- that is use vesa driver (system-config-display and set vesa
driver). Of course, you won't have 3D, compiz and similar shiny
stuff, but it should work pretty reliably for applications which
don't need this (which is most of them).

Actually, what happens when you move /etc/X11/xorg.conf away and
restart X? At least since Fedora 6 (i.e., pre-RHEL5 days) it is
considered a bug when Xorg without xorg.conf won't start in
a working state.

b) Of course, least painful solution is probably to try Fedora 10
-- I fully understand that you want to have CentOS for stability,
but well, this is a desktop, and you should be able to get
support until (hopefully) RHEL6 will be out.

Best,

Matěj

Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-12-21, 16:11 GMT, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try
> to startx, =

Just remove xorg.conf and restart X. What happens?

Matěj

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Matej Cepl a écrit :

> Strictly speaking that's not correct. You have two more options:
>
> a) To stick with CentOS and when on CentOS do as CentOS people do
> -- that is use vesa driver (system-config-display and set vesa
> driver).

As you probably see in the discussion, only vga 320x200 mode work.

> Of course, you won't have 3D, compiz and similar shiny
> stuff, but it should work pretty reliably for applications which
> don't need this (which is most of them).

I don't need all theses stuffs.

> Actually, what happens when you move /etc/X11/xorg.conf away and
> restart X? At least since Fedora 6 (i.e., pre-RHEL5 days) it is
> considered a bug when Xorg without xorg.conf won't start in
> a working state.

X try to start but failed.

> b) Of course, least painful solution is probably to try Fedora 10
> -- I fully understand that you want to have CentOS for stability,
> but well, this is a desktop, and you should be able to get
> support until (hopefully) RHEL6 will be out.

After some bug reports and fixes, I succeed to use Fedora 9

Do you know when RHEL6 release is planned?

Regards,
Alain

Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Matej Cepl a écrit :
> On 2008-12-21, 16:11 GMT, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try
> > to startx, =
>
> Just remove xorg.conf and restart X. What happens?

X failed to start.
Here is some piece of Xorg.0.log

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 22 18:46:20 2008
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file

(II) PCI: 01:00:0: chip 1002,7210 card 10f7,8338 rev ce class 03,00,00 hdr 00

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x7210) rev 206, Mem @
0xe0000000/28, 0xd7ef0000/16, I/O @ 0x2000/8
New driver is "ati"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (55 lines)
(==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "record"
Load "dri"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
Driver "ati"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
Driver "vga"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vga Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Builtin Default Layout"
Screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vga Screen 0"
EndSection
(==) --- End of built-in configuration ---
(==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" (1)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" (2)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vga Screen 0" (3)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default pointer>"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading sub module "drm"
(II) LoadModule: "drm"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libdrm.so
(II) Module drm: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "ati"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
(II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
(II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) LoadModule: "vga"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vga_drv.so
(II) Module vga: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0

(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.6.3) for chipsets: ati, ativga

(II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.1) for chipsets: generic
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(II) ATI: Candidate "Device" section "Builtin Default ati Device 0".
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset vesa found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:

(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset generic found
(II) resource ranges after probing:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
(II) LoadModule: "vbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
(II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 9.13
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: M71M
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
(II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 16/16
(==) VESA(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) VESA(0): RGB weight 565
(==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) VESA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libddc.so
(II) Module ddc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC unkown failure 768
(II) VESA(0): Searching for matching VESA mode(s):
Mode: 100 (640x400)
A long list of modes
Mode: 1e6 (1920x1440)

(II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 256 64KB banks (16384kB)
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "ddc"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libddc.so
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Regards,
Alain

Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-12-22, 18:24 GMT, Alain PORTAL wrote:
>> Just remove xorg.conf and restart X. What happens?
>
> X failed to start.
> Here is some piece of Xorg.0.log
>
> (=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 22 18:46:20 2008
> (EE) Unable to locate/open config file

This is weird ... isn't there something weird about your
configuration? NFS, SELinux, screwed up rights on /var/log --
I have never seen the error like this.

> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x7210)
> rev 206, Mem

I talked with Dave Airlie about this and his conclusion was that
most likely RHEL/CentOS 5.2 won't work with your card, but 5.3
should. If you are willing to try Beta, then it should be
available from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/RHEL5.3/

(of course, there is no support, it is beta, no upgrades,
yadayadayada). For more information see announcement at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/2008-October/msg00000.html
(it should be released January 2009).

Best,

Matěj Cepl

Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le lundi 22 décembre 2008, Matej Cepl a écrit :
> On 2008-12-22, 18:24 GMT, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> >> Just remove xorg.conf and restart X. What happens?
> >
> > X failed to start.
> > Here is some piece of Xorg.0.log
> >
> > (=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 22 18:46:20 2008
> > (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
>
> This is weird ...

Why?
It seems to me meanful.
X server don't find xorg.conf, so, it build one in the fly

> isn't there something weird about your
> configuration? NFS, SELinux, screwed up rights on /var/log --

Nothing special as I just did a basic install, update via yum, and try to
start X. No more setup.

> I have never seen the error like this.

All happens ;-)

> > (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x7210)
> > rev 206, Mem
>
> I talked with Dave Airlie about this and his conclusion was that
> most likely RHEL/CentOS 5.2 won't work with your card, but 5.3
> should. If you are willing to try Beta, then it should be
> available from
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/RHEL5.3/

Yes, of course, but how do I do to install?

Regards,
Alain