Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Rebuild xorg

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 17:11 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
>
> > You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.
>
> In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try to startx, it
> failed and I get the following (incomplette) message:
>
> (EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> As my default xorg.conf was created with pyxf86config, there is no mode
> neither modelines defined.
>
> > As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try
>
> I'm in this run level since installation.
>
> > system-config-display
>
> I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a lot of
> things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.

Time for extreme measures. At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.

I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?

Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
1240x1076(?) I think too.

> Regards.
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

2008/12/21 Alain PORTAL <alain.portal@free.fr>

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Alan Bartlett a écrit :

> Whilst you are at runlevel 3, *please copy & post the output of both

> /sbin/lspci and /sbin/lspci -n commands that relate to your video card.

> Apologies if you've already posted this information -- have I missed it?

On bug I reported (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3309) I joined a

lspci.txt which is the result of "lspci -s 01:00.0 -vv".

"lspci -s 01:00.0" output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon

X2100] (rev ce)

"lspci -s 01:00.0 -n" output:

01.00.0 0300: *1002:7210 (rev ce)
As I'm not at my home system (and have don't currently have remote access to it), I'll see what I can find out about that device tomorrow. Now the following is from memory -- from a CLI, you could try this command (IIRC):

system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=24 --set-driver=vesa

You might prefer to boot the system into single-user mode before invoking the above command.

Alan.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 PM
"Jerry Amundson"

On 12/21/08, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 17:11 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
>> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
>>
>> > You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.
>>
>> In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try to startx,
>> it
>> failed and I get the following (incomplette) message:
>>
>> (EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
>> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>>
>> As my default xorg.conf was created with pyxf86config, there is no mode
>> neither modelines defined.
>>
>> > As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try
>>
>> I'm in this run level since installation.
>>
>> > system-config-display
>>
>> I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a
>> lot of
>> things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.
>
> Time for extreme measures. At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
> line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.
>
> I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
> guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?
>
> Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
> Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
> the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
> 1240x1076(?) I think too.

IIRC, vga=ask will do it, otherwise pick one like vga=0x317, and it
will prompt if invalid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

jerry

--
To be named later.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 11:55 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> <snip>

> Time for extreme measures. At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
> line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.
>
> I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
> guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?
>
> Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
> Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
> the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
> 1240x1076(?) I think too.

I did a little googling. One post said that you should be able to go
into BIOS setup and set a default set of values that will get you going.

Another, http://www.mepis.org/node/2992 , has a small table of the
standard codes.

--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 12:16 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> <snip>

> Another, http://www.mepis.org/node/2992 , has a small table of the
> standard codes.

This one http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes
looks more useful to me.

--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> > I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a
> > lot of things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.
>
> Time for extreme measures.

Perhaps I didn't speak english well and I don't know if I was understood for
that. I wanted to say I saw 1/4 of the size of the s-c-d window;
Or you did a joke I didn't understood

> At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
> line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.
>
> I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
> guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?
>
> Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
> Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
> the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
> 1240x1076(?) I think too.

I did what you said, but it seems I didn't get the expected results:

Video adapter: VESA VGA
Mode: COLSxROWS:
0 0F00 80x25
1 0F01 80x50
2 0F02 80x43
3 0F03 80x28
4 0F05 80x30
5 0F06 80x34
6 0F07 80x60

So, no graphic mode as I could find by googling
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html

If I use, as an example, vga=0x307, when I startx, I can see saying 4 desktops
on the width of the screen and height of these desktop are only 1/10 height
on the screen, at the top of it
So, 9/10 of the screen is black.

Regards,
Alain
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/

Old 12-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Jerry Amundson a écrit :

> IIRC, vga=ask will do it, otherwise pick one like vga=0x317, and it
> will prompt if invalid.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

Work fine during startup, but same problem (graphical only 1/10 height at the
top of the screen) when I startx;

Regards,
Alain

Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Alain PORTAL

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Alan Bartlett a écrit :

> As I'm not at my home system (and have don't currently have remote access
> to it), I'll see what I can find out about that device tomorrow. Now the
> following is from memory -- from a CLI, you could try this command (IIRC):
>
> system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=24
> --set-driver=vesa
>
> You might prefer to boot the system into single-user mode before invoking
> the above command.

Change inittab and reboot before typing your s-c-d command.
startx failed with this error:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

It seems that for using the vesa module, I have to build an old style
xorg.conf (XFree86.conf ?) with a Section "Monitor" that hold HorizSync and
VertRefresh options and that define several ModeLine options,
and several Modes options in SubSection "Display" of the Section "Screen".

Like the attachement file of the bug 1862
http://bugs.centos.org/file_download.php?file_id=205&type=bug

However, I don't know how to create these ModeLines, since the XFree86 Video
Timings seems very old.

regards,
Alain

Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 19:02 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
>
> > > I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a
> > > lot of things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.
> >
> > Time for extreme measures.
>
> Perhaps I didn't speak english well and I don't know if I was understood for
> that. I wanted to say I saw 1/4 of the size of the s-c-d window;
> Or you did a joke I didn't understood

No joke meant. I understood you - you're doing fine with the English.

> > At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
> > line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.
> >
> > I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
> > guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?
> >
> > Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
> > Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
> > the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
> > 1240x1076(?) I think too.
>
> I did what you said, but it seems I didn't get the expected results:
>
> Video adapter: VESA VGA
> Mode: COLSxROWS:
> 0 0F00 80x25
> 1 0F01 80x50
> 2 0F02 80x43
> 3 0F03 80x28
> 4 0F05 80x30
> 5 0F06 80x34
> 6 0F07 80x60

Those are good. But now that I see them I remember that they are for
virtual consoles. I don't recall that they would affect the
system-config-display actions.

Regardless, you can pick one at boot time if "vga=ask" (without the
quotes) and you'll see different character sizes. If you code "vga=xxx",
where the "xxx" is one of those codes, they must be converted to decimal
first. One of those links I posted later has a link to how to do that.

But, as I mentioned, I now don't think this will affect the X setup.

> So, no graphic mode as I could find by googling
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html

This link only has effect if you're using framebuffer. That's (IIRC)
optional - I have it on my 4.x system, but I set it up a long time ago
and would have to research to recall the details. It gave a nice speed
improvement.

Anyway, it's not mandatory. If you want to use it, more setup steps are
needed. I would skip it now and continue what you're doing - get a basic
acceptable setup running.

> If I use, as an example, vga=0x307, when I startx, I can see saying 4 desktops

As I mention above, I think the hexadecimal needs to be converted to
decimal. It's been a _long_ time, but I _think_ 0x307 = 775 decimal. But
I don't remember if that value is big-endian or little-endian. Big, I
think.

> on the width of the screen and height of these desktop are only 1/10 height
> on the screen, at the top of it
> So, 9/10 of the screen is black.
>
> Regards,
> Alain

I saw that another posted some parameters to try with
system-config-display. I'm going to peek at that and see what else I
might offer.

I might save my configs and play with system-config-display a bit and
see if any clues pop up.

--
Bill

Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 19:14 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Jerry Amundson a écrit :
>
> > IIRC, vga=ask will do it, otherwise pick one like vga=0x317, and it
> > will prompt if invalid.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions
>
> Work fine during startup, but same problem (graphical only 1/10 height at the
> top of the screen) when I startx;

Decimal value s/b 791 I think.

--
Bill