Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Farkas Levente

Default kmod packaging guideline

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:
>> Ned Slider wrote:
>
>>> There is some information on building kABI tracking kmod packages in the
>>> BuildingKernelModules page on the Wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules#head-b86b6eec08d5719cf1838929f26a64af88e2b7f0
>> the only problem it's outdated.
>
> It would help if you are more specific and tell us which part of it is
> outdated. You can see the edit history of that article here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules?action=info
>
> Alan has been actively and constantly working on it as you can see.
> So, any info/note that helps updating the content would be
> appreciated.

the latest weak-updates spec files don't use the same template as
mention on the above page. just look at the xfs kmod package.
and i wouldn't like to rewire this page without the permission of the
main kmod maintainers.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Old 12-26-2008, 07:20 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:

>>> the only problem it's outdated.
>
> the latest weak-updates spec files don't use the same template as
> mention on the above page. just look at the xfs kmod package.
> and i wouldn't like to rewire this page without the permission of the
> main kmod maintainers.

The spec files used in CentOS-supplied kmods have never been the same
as the example spec file on the Wiki. The latter is based on what is
found upstream (Jon Master's) and is designed to build kABI-tracking
kmods that survive kernel updates. The CentOS kmods used to be kernel
version specific. This was recently changed and the latest version is
now kernel independent.

With either spec file, we achieve the same goal, that is,
kABI-tracking kmods. Therefore, at this point of time, I am hesitant
to make changes to the example spec file on the Wiki. However, if
there is a good reason to modify the spec to match the one used in the
CentOS version rather than upstream's, we could do so as well. I just
do not see the urgent need for that right now.

Akemi