Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
"Jerry Amundson"

Default Centos 5 update breaks drbd

What needs to be done to keep update from breaking kmod packages when
the kernel is updated? This happens more often that not, and is a PIA
on production boxes.
I've added a comment to http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186 -
there may be others...

thx,
jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Alan Hodgson

On Tuesday 25 November 2008, "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@gmail.com> wrote:
> What needs to be done to keep update from breaking kmod packages when
> the kernel is updated? This happens more often that not, and is a PIA
> on production boxes.
> I've added a comment to http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186 -
> there may be others...

I agree.

I have to run a script that uninstalls kmod-* modules and reinstalls them to
make kernel updates actually work. At least for kmod-drbd82 and kmod-xfs,
the only ones I'm using.

The old way, which I understand required the modules to be specially built
for each kernel, worked better.

Not complaining, since it's free, but if anyone thinks this is actually
working right, I just have to say it isn't.

--
Alan

Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 AM
James Antill

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 13:17 -0800, Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2008, "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What needs to be done to keep update from breaking kmod packages when
> > the kernel is updated? This happens more often that not, and is a PIA
> > on production boxes.
> > I've added a comment to http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186 -
> > there may be others...
>
> I agree.
>
> I have to run a script that uninstalls kmod-* modules and reinstalls them to
> make kernel updates actually work. At least for kmod-drbd82 and kmod-xfs,
> the only ones I'm using.
>
> The old way, which I understand required the modules to be specially built
> for each kernel, worked better.

What verison of yum do you have, what version of yum-kmod?

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora

Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Karanbir Singh

Alan Hodgson wrote:
Not complaining, since it's free, but if anyone thinks this is actually
working right, I just have to say it isn't.

Patches welcome.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
"Jerry Amundson"

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Alan Hodgson wrote:
>>
>> Not complaining, since it's free, but if anyone thinks this is actually
>> working right, I just have to say it isn't.
>
> Patches welcome.

Since when does a workable solution to the user become a problem for
them to fix?
This is a regression, not a feature request.

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".

Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Karanbir Singh

Jerry Amundson wrote:

Since when does a workable solution to the user become a problem for
them to fix?
This is a regression, not a feature request.

yes, so investigate what is going on and why / how that kmod can be
fixed, let us see a patch.

- KB

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Jerry Amundson wrote:
>>
>> Since when does a workable solution to the user become a problem for
>> them to fix?
>> This is a regression, not a feature request.
>

> yes, so investigate what is going on and why / how that kmod can be fixed,
> let us see a patch.
>
> - KB

I tried to reproduce the trouble reported here but all went fine. I
have updated the bug tracker with the details.

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186

Akemi

Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Karanbir Singh

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> I tried to reproduce the trouble reported here but all went fine. I
> have updated the bug tracker with the details.

I dont have any such problem either, which is why I asked the OP to
figure out what is going on with his machine.

> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186

I think James would still like to know what yum and yum-kmod you are
using, and what the OP was using.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
"Jerry Amundson"

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> I tried to reproduce the trouble reported here but all went fine. I
>> have updated the bug tracker with the details.
>
> I dont have any such problem either, which is why I asked the OP to
> figure out what is going on with his machine.

I'm running kernel-xen, if it matters, and drbd *not* drbd82, which
might matter. Some time back, I added excludes in yum.conf to be sure:
exclude=*i386 *i686 kernel kmod-drbd drbd82 kmod-drbd82 kmod-drbd82-xen

[root@app1 ~]# rpm -qa *drbd*
kmod-drbd-xen-8.0.13-2
drbd-8.0.13-1.el5.centos

>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186
>>

> I think James would still like to know what yum and yum-kmod you are
> using, and what the OP was using.

[root@app1 ~]# rpm -qa *yum*
yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1

I don't have yum-kmod, should I?

Thanks,
jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Jerry Amundson <jamundso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> I'm running kernel-xen, if it matters, and drbd *not* drbd82, which
> might matter. Some time back, I added excludes in yum.conf to be sure:
> exclude=*i386 *i686 kernel kmod-drbd drbd82 kmod-drbd82 kmod-drbd82-xen
>
> [root@app1 ~]# rpm -qa *drbd*
> kmod-drbd-xen-8.0.13-2
> drbd-8.0.13-1.el5.centos
>
>>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3186

OK, some more development in the bug tracker. It seems to me that
your system is in good, working conditions and kmod-drbd was installed
just as expected in the right place.

Akemi