Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
James Pearson

Default Instructions on rebuilding the CentOS 5 installer?

Are there any docs on how to rebuild the CentOS 5 installer?

I've been doing this for CentOS 4 based on the script at
<http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt> - but I now need to do
something similar with CentOS 5 ...

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 11-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

James Pearson wrote:

Are there any docs on how to rebuild the CentOS 5 installer?

I've been doing this for CentOS 4 based on the script at
<http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt> - but I now need to do
something similar with CentOS 5 ...

revisor should do the right thing, mostly.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
James Pearson

Karanbir Singh wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

Are there any docs on how to rebuild the CentOS 5 installer?

I've been doing this for CentOS 4 based on the script at
<http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt> - but I now need to
do something similar with CentOS 5 ...

revisor should do the right thing, mostly.

Thanks - but what is revisor? - OK, I can probably google for it, but if
you have any pointers, that would be most useful.

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

James Pearson wrote:

Are there any docs on how to rebuild the CentOS 5 installer?

I've been doing this for CentOS 4 based on the script at
<http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt> - but I now need to
do something similar with CentOS 5 ...

revisor should do the right thing, mostly.
Thanks - but what is revisor? - OK, I can probably google for it, but if
you have any pointers, that would be most useful.

First hit on google

Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM
James Pearson

Karanbir Singh wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

Are there any docs on how to rebuild the CentOS 5 installer?

I've been doing this for CentOS 4 based on the script at
<http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt> - but I now need
to do something similar with CentOS 5 ...

revisor should do the right thing, mostly.

Thanks - but what is revisor? - OK, I can probably google for it, but
if you have any pointers, that would be most useful.

First hit on google

OK - thanks ...

Is this what the CentOS team use to rebuild the installer?

Having a very quick look at the docs, it appears to be far much more
than I need ... for CentOS 4, I use a short script to run genhdlist
(twice), pkgorder and buildinstall (pulled from the build.sh.txt above)
- is there a similar script for CentOS 5 available somewhere?

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Karanbir Singh

James Pearson wrote:

Is this what the CentOS team use to rebuild the installer?

no.

Having a very quick look at the docs, it appears to be far much more
than I need ... for CentOS 4, I use a short script to run genhdlist
(twice), pkgorder and buildinstall (pulled from the build.sh.txt above)
- is there a similar script for CentOS 5 available somewhere?

There is no script really, since its all yum repo's on the install
media, its just a case of making sure your repo's are complete, the
packages dep loop close, and running buildinstall once.

In most cases, I highly recommend you dont even do the buildinstall
process. just use what is shipped with the centos media, just adapt
repo's to taste.

Jeroen offered to have revisor do something like this, where it would
recompose the repo tree's and rebuild install media without rerunning
buildinstall for CentOS. Not sure if he has had the time to make that
happen as yet or not.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
James Pearson

Karanbir Singh wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

Is this what the CentOS team use to rebuild the installer?

no.

Out of interest, how do the CentOS team rebuild the installer?

Having a very quick look at the docs, it appears to be far much more
than I need ... for CentOS 4, I use a short script to run genhdlist
(twice), pkgorder and buildinstall (pulled from the build.sh.txt
above) - is there a similar script for CentOS 5 available somewhere?

There is no script really, since its all yum repo's on the install
media, its just a case of making sure your repo's are complete, the
packages dep loop close, and running buildinstall once.

How do I make sure the 'packages dep loop close' - does that mean
running pkgorder?

In most cases, I highly recommend you dont even do the buildinstall
process. just use what is shipped with the centos media, just adapt
repo's to taste.

Yes, I agree, but there are times (with CentOS 4) that I have needed to
rebuild the installer for my own needs - and I would like to make sure I
can do this with CentOS 5 when required.

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Matt Rose

Just for fun (yeah, it was a real party) a few months ago I rebuild the
CentOS CD using pungi.* It took me about an hour, and gave me a
bootable CentOS cd.* My recommendation, only use the older methods if
you really have to hack the installer, or anaconda.

Matt

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Karanbir Singh

Matt Rose wrote:
Just for fun (yeah, it was a real party) a few months ago I rebuild the
CentOS CD using pungi. It took me about an hour, and gave me a bootable
CentOS cd. My recommendation, only use the older methods if you really
have to hack the installer, or anaconda.

your email client looks to be broken, or you should readup on howto
format posts to a mailing list!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado