Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default s390 SIG

I've been working on a few things over the last 2 months, many of which
were just a case of pushing things around and getting more organised
internally. But some tasks should bring out more productive and visible
changes all around. I hope.

First thing to come from that is the possibility of a s390 SIG, made up
from a few people who have access to real s390 kit, who would work
together and help get a C5 build out.

Pasi, who maintains s390 on C3/C4 has previously expressed no desire in
following up with the C5 side of things, also access to real iron kept
getting in the way.

So, and oops for short notice, some of us are going to get together
later in the day today on #centos-devel and talk about this SIG. Anyone
/ everyone interested should join in. We expect to kick off at 21:00 UTC
today, 19th Nov 2008.

- KB

Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Karanbir Singh

Karanbir Singh wrote:
So, and oops for short notice, some of us are going to get together
later in the day today on #centos-devel and talk about this SIG. Anyone
/ everyone interested should join in. We expect to kick off at 21:00 UTC
today, 19th Nov 2008.

Quick catchup on this :

There are a few people interested in the s390x side of things, but there
does not seem to be too much hardware / resources around to help. Ray
Hand has offered to pick up on this and I will be working with him to
get the builds done on real iron. We are also going to concentrate on
s390x only for the time being. If there really are people who want s390
as well, we can address that independently.

Given this situation, we can still keep the door open for a s390(x)
specific SIG to come up, but unless there are atleast a few people who
want to get actively involved with the process and help out, it might be
too much of an overhead to handle for only 3 people's involvement.

But yes, please make noise and actively promote the idea. I will blog (
to planet.centos.org ) and get this into facebook / twitter etc as well.
Everyone else should too

Regards,

- KB

Old 11-21-2008, 04:03 AM
John Summerfield

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:
So, and oops for short notice, some of us are going to get together
later in the day today on #centos-devel and talk about this SIG.
Anyone / everyone interested should join in. We expect to kick off at
21:00 UTC today, 19th Nov 2008.

Quick catchup on this :

There are a few people interested in the s390x side of things, but there
does not seem to be too much hardware / resources around to help. Ray
Hand has offered to pick up on this and I will be working with him to
get the builds done on real iron. We are also going to concentrate on
s390x only for the time being. If there really are people who want s390
as well, we can address that independently.

I understand that IBM may provide the hardware for this, it does so for
porting software to the zSeries and this may qualify. It's also worth
discussing the matter on the existing Linux-390 list hosted by Marist.
The list is followed by significant people from significant
organisations including IBM.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Karanbir Singh

John Summerfield wrote:
I understand that IBM may provide the hardware for this, it does so for
porting software to the zSeries and this may qualify. It's also worth
discussing the matter on the existing Linux-390 list hosted by Marist.
The list is followed by significant people from significant
organisations including IBM.

Do ask IBM, and on the list. If you need anything from my side, let me know.

- KB

Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
R P Herrold

KB mentioned in IRC that I should speak up:

Incident to comercial work, we have solved centos (RHEL)
issues on Power5 and 390 hardware sufficient to run one of our
products. It is not a full distribution rebuild, nor indeed,
not even a selfhosting bootstrap set (that is on ym wish list,
but ...)

390 trailhead: http://www.zSeriesPenguins.ihost.com

one gets a 90 day slice access of a box
holding RHEL 4.4 with no

archive access

The Chiphopper program get access to power 5, and more

https://www.developer.ibm.com/isv/eserver/member/advantage/hardware_port.html

z server and p server

the chiphopper folks are really helpful

mention my name, etc -- ask me if you need help or get stuck

also see:
http://www.ibm.com/servers/enable/linux/testdrive

braindump ends

-- Russ herrold

Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Karanbir Singh

Karanbir Singh wrote:
There are a few people interested in the s390x side of things, but there
does not seem to be too much hardware / resources around to help. Ray
Hand has offered to pick up on this and I will be working with him to
get the builds done on real iron.

the s390x builds started on Monday night UTC, over the next few weeks we
should have the 5.0 build cycles done ( tempting fate! ).

- KB