-   -   rubygems rpm spec file (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/195076-rubygems-rpm-spec-file.html)

Matt Rose 11-17-2008 08:36 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

I built the following rpm.* It
requires ruby and ruby-libs to build.* This version does not install
the built-in rdoc and ri files for rubygems, as that requires a little
more work than I have time for right now.

http://folkwolf.net/rubygems-1.3.1-1.src.rpm

HTH

Matt

BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
BuildArch: noarch
BuildPreReq: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5
Group: Development/Tools
%description
Ruby Gems

%prep
%setup -q

%install
ruby setup.rb --destdir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr --no-rdoc --no-ri

cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
find . -type d | sed '1,2d;s,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) \%dir ,' > $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}
find . -type f | sed 's,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) ,' >> $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}
find . -type l | sed 's,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) ,' >> $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}

%files -f ../file.list.%{name}
%clean
rm -rf %{buildroot}

Ralph Angenendt 11-17-2008 08:58 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Matt Rose wrote:
> requires: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5

Are you sure about that? I only have

Requires: ruby(abi) = 1.8

in my spec (which is for 1.1.1 though)

> Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tgz
> License: GPL

I think naming both licenses is correct here:

License: Ruby License/GPL

> BuildPreReq: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5

Hmmm. Why PreReq?

I have BuildRequires: ruby, ruby-irb, ruby-rdoc in my spec.

> %description
> Ruby Gems

RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party
libraries.

Yours is a tad short :)

> cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> rm -rf %{buildroot}

Hmmm. Either or, I think. Not both in one spec file :)

I also have a wad of rubygems which are packaged and should be published
somewhere (like a complete rails 2.1 environment, mod_passenger and other
stuff).

Cheers,

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org

Matt Rose 11-18-2008 04:53 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Matt Rose wrote:

requires: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5

Are you sure about that? I only have

Requires: ruby(abi) = 1.8

in my spec (which is for 1.1.1 though)

I don't think it actually requires ruby-libs, but the way I figure,
they're going to need the ruby stdlib if they're going to actually
install most gems.* Better to set up the expectation in advance, IMO.

Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tgz
License: GPL

I think naming both licenses is correct here:

License: Ruby License/GPL

BuildPreReq: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5

Hmmm. Why PreReq?

I have BuildRequires: ruby, ruby-irb, ruby-rdoc in my spec.

Because I forgot the syntax for BuildRequires

%description
Ruby Gems

RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party
libraries.

Yours is a tad short :)

cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
rm -rf %{buildroot}

Hmmm. Either or, I think. Not both in one spec file :)

good idea.

I also have a wad of rubygems which are packaged and should be published
somewhere (like a complete rails 2.1 environment, mod_passenger and other
stuff).

Cheers,

Ralph

we could put them up on github or I could host a publically available
subver repo for ruby gem rpms, or something.* It would be nice to have
a central repo for exactly this kind of stuff.** I wonder how hard it
would be to do a gem2rpm script, like perl has with cpan2rpm.

Matt

Matt Rose 11-18-2008 04:54 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Whoops, see comments in the previous email.* Attached is the updated
spec

Matt

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Matt Rose wrote:

[...]

BuildRequires: ruby >= 1.8.5, ruby-libs >= 1.8.5
Group: Development/Tools

%description
RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party libraries

%prep
%setup -q

%install
ruby setup.rb --destdir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr --no-rdoc --no-ri

cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
find . -type d | sed '1,2d;s,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) \%dir ,' > $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}
find . -type f | sed 's,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) ,' >> $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}
find . -type l | sed 's,^.,\%attr(-,root,root) ,' >> $RPM_BUILD_DIR/file.list.%{name}

%files -f ../file.list.%{name}
%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

Karanbir Singh 11-18-2008 09:33 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Matt Rose wrote:

I also have a wad of rubygems which are packaged and should be published
somewhere (like a complete rails 2.1 environment, mod_passenger and other
stuff).

a Ruby SIG would be good to get going, we ( ralph and I ) spoke about
this a while back. I have about 4 dozen rpms that could also go into this.

we could put them up on github or I could host a publically available
subver repo for ruby gem rpms, or something. It would be nice to have a
central repo for exactly this kind of stuff. I wonder how hard it
would be to do a gem2rpm script, like perl has with cpan2rpm.

projects.centos.org solves this very problem :D

But we would need a standard for the specs to get adopted, and working
with atleast the Fedora standards would be a good place to start.

So, is there interest in the ruby SIG ? and who wants to take ownership
of spec sanity checking ?

Matt Rose 11-18-2008 09:35 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Karanbir Singh wrote:

projects.centos.org solves this very problem :D

But we would need a standard for the specs to get adopted, and working
with atleast the Fedora standards would be a good place to start.

So, is there interest in the ruby SIG ? and who wants to take ownership
of spec sanity checking ?

I'd be happy to take ownership,
it's obviously something that's been on my mind lately.* I think it'd
be a good thing for both ruby and CentOS.

Matt

Karanbir Singh 11-18-2008 09:36 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Matt Rose wrote:
central repo for exactly this kind of stuff. I wonder how hard it
would be to do a gem2rpm script, like perl has with cpan2rpm.

there already is a gem2rpm script, and it works fine. I've churned the
entire gem base in Feb 2008 to prove it. Some of the ri handing isnt
ideal, but it works or is simple to patch out. I was lazy and only
really wanted to sanity check and did not mind either ri or rdoc in the
roots.

Matt Rose 11-18-2008 09:40 PM

rubygems rpm spec file

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Matt Rose wrote:

central repo for exactly this kind of stuff. I wonder how hard it
would be to do a gem2rpm script, like perl has with cpan2rpm.

there already is a gem2rpm script, and it works fine. I've churned the
entire gem base in Feb 2008 to prove it. Some of the ri handing isnt
ideal, but it works or is simple to patch out. I was lazy and only
really wanted to sanity check and did not mind either ri or rdoc in the
roots.

The ri and rdoc handling needs some special care.* IMHO the doc tree
should go in /usr/share/doc, and I don't think that gems, or ruby are
built to do that.** I think that some kind of docs should go in
/usr/share/doc (I hate installing rpms with no documentation), but
installing docs in the correct location takes a little bit of brain
scratching.

I found the gem2rpm rpm, I'll play with it in the coming days.

Matt

Manuel Wolfshant 11-19-2008 12:02 AM

rubygems rpm spec file