Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Dag Wieers wrote:
I dont see how that is relevant, CVE's are open to anyone to report
against / for ? so whats your point ?

It is relevant in the sense that:

1. You seem to hold Drupal responsible, while they merely put contributed
modules on their website

do you then mean to say that packages we host in the centos mirrors
should not be something we should even be concerned about ? Since they
are not something we write, we just package and put them up here ?

2. They at least respond to security problems by removing them from the
website and providing that information

Why are you picking on me again while I just respond to what you say and
try to put it into context ?

I dont think I am picking on you at all, this is a conversation that
Marcus started and you joined. If you merely want to say something and
have no replies to that, thats fine. I wont bother replying.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }

Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Dag Wieers

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I dont see how that is relevant, CVE's are open to anyone to report
> against / for ? so whats your point ?

It is relevant in the sense that:

1. You seem to hold Drupal responsible, while they merely put contributed
modules on their website

do you then mean to say that packages we host in the centos mirrors should
not be something we should even be concerned about ? Since they are not
something we write, we just package and put them up here ?

Did I say that ? Did I even imply that by explaining to you how Drupal
contributed modules work ? I don't think so...

You could have said that you misinterpreted how Drupal worked with
contributed modules and leave it at that.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 PM
"David Newkerk"

Stephane has kindly recommended I simply refer to my already-posted
info, and continue from here on in the mailing list. Please read these
posts, as I have tried to offer insight into the mindset behind
Drupal's way of releasing modules, as well as covered security/update
topics. As a recap to better organize links to the info posted thus
far:

Drupal answers for CentOS forum user requests, theme, multi-site:
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-973

Drupal forum performance test results:
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-978

Sample of CentOS.org implementation using Drupal:
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-988

>From within the above link (Sample of CentOS.org implementation using
Drupal), these are important to point to:

IA and implementation of CentOS.org with Drupal:
http://www.davidnewkerk.com/book/52

Recipe of modules to build the CentOS.org website using Drupal (minus
core forum, and including background info on each of the module
Maintainers, so you can see that the modules, when wisely selected,
are reliable):
http://www.davidnewkerk.com/module-recipes/r-centos

I'm available to help if a custom demo of Drupal is desired. If you'd
like I will set up a copy on my local server tailored for your needs,
and send you a tar.gz of the files and a database dump, so you can set
it up on your server. If you want to grant any access I will be happy
to set it up that way.

Also, I'd like to see if I can help fill in the requirements more
completely in a few areas, such as the Y/N in requirement D, and the
empty column for requirement a. If anyone could clarify these 2 areas,
I will research how best to fulfill them with Drupal.

I'm sure whichever CMS you choose will serve you well. It's my goal to
present Drupal as a viable option to allow you to make an educated
decision and help you bypass any learning curve if you select Drupal
(as Drupal is more complex and powerful than most CMSes and can thus
take more time to understand without a guide).

Thanks!

- David

Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM
"David Newkerk"

I have updated my suggested list of modules for CentOS.org to include
a tag stating whether a given module is supported by Acquia (Acquia,
co-founded by Drupal's original creator Dries Buytaert, is a
commercially supported package of Drupal 6 core + a selection of
modules to form an easy/seamless, pre-configuerd experience for
users).
To learn about what this means, see:
http://acquia.com/products-services/acquia-drupal-modules
http://acquia.com/products-services/acquia-frequently-asked-questions#fork
http://www.linux.com/feed/149212

The modules are the precise same releases as available on drupal.org
(and Acquia Drupal is precisely the same as Drupal 6.x released on
drupal.org... still 100% GPL), however a selection of contributed
modules have been chosen to be part of the commercially-supported
Acquia Drupal release/service - they remain contributed and completely
independent modules, but receive the full benefits of Acquia's support
(patches, upgraded features, etc), as they are pouring resources into
the improvement of these modules specifically. Though you can put
significant confidence in the modules I am carefully listing overall,
you can put complete confidence in the modules marked as supported by
Acquia.

Here is my module recommendation page for CentOS.org:
http://www.davidnewkerk.com/module-recipes/r-centos

The majority of the modules I've recommended in this list are
supported by Acquia (and are also almost exclusively "top tier"
modules that are broadly used by a significant percentage of the
Drupal community, as well as by a variety of variety of notable
sites/companies/organizations that run Drupal). Several others such as
Views and Nodequeue are additionally supported by other notable
sources (such as Sony, which the creator of those modules, Earl Miles,
works for and develops his modules full time). Many are maintained by
Drupal core contributors and/or well-established Drupal development
companies. CentOS.org would need "only" the modules I have listed,
give or take a few (dependent on the actual requirements of the site,
or possibly introducing new functionality that hasn't yet been
discussed). In the current Drupal environment, CCK and Views
eliminates the need for a wide variety of other modules, being able to
reproduce an extremely versatile array of functionality with only
those two modules and a small selection of well-supported Field and
Display format plug-in modules (such as ImageField, etc). From the
Case Studies I previously mentioned, you can see many of the same
modules coming up again and again: http://drupal.org/success-stories

It's important to note that "no" CMS (even a high priced commercial
one) will give you freedom from security flaws (we all know that,
regarding "certain" operating systems that will not be named haha).
The best recourse is with a system that works hard to discover
security flaws and deliver solutions for them effectively and rapidly
to users (which I believe Drupal does an excellent job of). Also, with
any CMS where community members are permitted to freely share their
own modules and themes to be made available to the rest of the
community, extra judgment is necessary to determine the quality and
safety of a module for your site, especially if you do not yet possess
the experience in the community/software to successfully separate the
"chaff from the grain" as it were. This applies equally to Drupal,
Joomla, and any other CMS which operates its community contributions
in this way (which to its credit, encourages amazing innovation,
sharing of knowledge and resources, etc). On the plus side for Drupal
as compared to most other CMSes, there is an active Security team
going through contributed modules seeking out security flaws, and due
to their centralized repository, all Drupal modules are "known of and
always accessible" and consequently able to be assessed - this can
only be done as rapidly as volunteer man-power can accommodate, due to
the huge quantity of available modules.

I hope this info proves helpful in your decision. Please don't
hesitate to ask me any questions, as I'll be happy to help clarify
anything.

- David

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM, David Newkerk

Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi David,

David Newkerk wrote:

I'm available to help if a custom demo of Drupal is desired. If you'd
like I will set up a copy on my local server tailored for your needs,
and send you a tar.gz of the files and a database dump, so you can set
it up on your server. If you want to grant any access I will be happy
to set it up that way.

thanks for all this work, much of it looks at first sight, to be quite
impressive. But, there is one point I want to stress here, Please dont
spend time looking at www.centos.org replacements - were not looking at
doing that right now. The focus of this effort, now, is to find a forum
system and a light weight portal around it that can display news and
host urls pointing at wiki content, issue tracker etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Guillaume Kulakowski

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Guillaume

> you can forget (Flux|Pun)BB for the next version. The 1.3 won't released
> and the next version (1.4) don't permit external authantification...
>
> This features will be in 2.0 who is not planed.

Thanks for the information.

Best Regards
Marcus