Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Hi everyone,

I'm back on the internet (and still alive) and I'll will start having
some time again for CentOS.

About the forums. I've already posted my ideas in these threads a while back :

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/thread.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-August/003098.html

To recap my shortlist is :

1) phpBB
2) SMF
3) phorum

If I read the current threads correctly some people are going to setup
some of the softwares mentioned and I think nobody offered to setup
phpBB so I've there is a VM available I'm willing to setup a phpBB
instance for testing.

For the rest I like all the opinions offered :-)

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Brandon Davidson

Hi Tim,

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

I'm back on the internet (and still alive) and I'll will start having
some time again for CentOS.

And there was much rejoicing!

To recap my shortlist is :

1) phpBB
2) SMF
3) phorum

4) CentOS Directory Server and IPA ?

Glad to have you back!

--
Brandon Davidson
Systems Administrator

Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Brandon Davidson <brandond@uoregon.edu> wrote:

>> To recap my shortlist is :
>>
>> 1) phpBB
>> 2) SMF
>> 3) phorum
>
> 4) CentOS Directory Server and IPA ?

That is a different project altogether :-) I'm will get to it, promised !

> Glad to have you back!

Thanks !

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> To recap my shortlist is :
>
> 1) phpBB
> 2) SMF

License issues

> 3) phorum
>
> If I read the current threads correctly some people are going to setup
> some of the softwares mentioned and I think nobody offered to setup
> phpBB so I've there is a VM available I'm willing to setup a phpBB
> instance for testing.

As soon as we can create new instances - sure. They're still doing maintenance
on the system afaics.

But: You seem to have access to 92.60.118.133 already - why not put up one
instance on the ldap server itself? If you have the time and don't want to wait, that is.

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org

Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Marcus Möller

If I read the current threads correctly some people are going to
setup

some of the softwares mentioned and I think nobody offered to setup
phpBB so I've there is a VM available I'm willing to setup a phpBB
instance for testing.

As soon as we can create new instances - sure. They're still doing
maintenance

on the system afaics.

But: You seem to have access to 92.60.118.133 already - why not put
up one
instance on the ldap server itself? If you have the time and don't
want to wait, that is.

I have already started evaluating phpBB and am willed to setup an
Installation with a Joomla Bridge.

I'm just waitting for an test VM.

So Tim, you just might wamt to join then.

Marcus

Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Marcus Möller <mm@gcug.de> wrote:
> Am 29.09.2008 um 22:11 schrieb Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de>:
>> Tim Verhoeven wrote:
>>>
>>> To recap my shortlist is :
>>>
>>> 1) phpBB
>>> 2) SMF
>>
>> License issues
>
> What's wrong with the phpBB licence?

I'm guessing Ralph is referring to the SMF license, not the phpBB one.

...snip...

> I have already started evaluating phpBB and am willed to setup an
> Installation with a Joomla Bridge.
>
> I'm just waitting for an test VM.
>
> So Tim, you just might wamt to join then.

Alright, perfect. Give me a ring when you have it running.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Marcus Möller wrote:
> Am 29.09.2008 um 22:11 schrieb Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de>:
>
>> Tim Verhoeven wrote:
>>> To recap my shortlist is :
>>>
>>> 1) phpBB
>>> 2) SMF
>>
>> License issues
>
> What's wrong with the phpBB licence?

Nothing.

> I have already started evaluating phpBB and am willed to setup an
> Installation with a Joomla Bridge.
>
> I'm just waitting for an test VM.

So are we. Still waiting for the service provider to end the system
maintenance. We cannot create new VMs at the moment.

> So Tim, you just might wamt to join then.

I thought he wanted to do fluxbb?

Ralph

Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 AM
"Marcus Moeller"

Hi Ralph.

>>> License issues
>>
>> What's wrong with the phpBB licence?
>
> Nothing.

I thought so, just wonderd about the quotation

>> I have already started evaluating phpBB and am willed to setup an
>> Installation with a Joomla Bridge.
>>
>> I'm just waitting for an test VM.
>
> So are we. Still waiting for the service provider to end the system
> maintenance. We cannot create new VMs at the moment.
>
>> So Tim, you just might wamt to join then.

> I thought he wanted to do fluxbb?

<insert>
If I read the current threads correctly some people are going to setup
some of the softwares mentioned and I think nobody offered to setup
phpBB so I've there is a VM available I'm willing to setup a phpBB
instance for testing.
</insert>

Not really.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
admin

That's definitly true and why I try to leave most of the code as-is
and add nearly no additional modules. I personally like Joomla very
much. There where some annoying security issues in the past but I
still believe in the stable code-base.

I've been lurking here a little while and thought I'd add my 2 cents on
this topic ...

The strategy above is a sensible one. I've found that while many open
source CMS products are very good at what they do, they are not
"enterprise" products in the sense that development sometimes proceeds
very quickly, driven by the laudable enthusiasm of the developers, but
creating headaches for users who face a constant upgrade treadmill
(apart from security fixes). To make matters worse, plug-in developers
don't always keep up with the code base in a timely manner. Take the
Drupal project for example, which is currently juggling concurrent
support for versions 5 and 6 with 7 just around the corner.

Personally, I am now avoiding CMSs for my own projects (mainly
documentation type stuff from now on) for the reasons above and tending
more towards XML (DocBook) and XSLT. This frees me from the CMS upgrade
treadmill and the constant potential for security issues needing fixing,
and has the added benefits of being very flexible in how content is
formatted and presented. Content can either be pre-generated and
uploaded as static HTML, or generated on the fly with one pretty basic
script. I realise that such a solution would be unworkable for a
community site, however.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Stephane Corlosquet

Hi all,

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> There have been some interesting comments from Drupal users on my
>> blog-post that compared the requirements with modules and features.
>> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-972
>> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-973
>> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-978
>> I guess that is a first stop when assessing Drupal's capabilities.
>>

> That is good, however they dont say anything more than whats already
> available on google searches for these things. What we really would need
> before deciding is to have someone offer to take ownership of the
> effort to evaluate drupal, do the setup, setup some of these features
> and see how usable it really is.
>
> eg. I am looking at Drupal for my own site and I find venturing into the
> modules portion of drupal immediately drops the quality of code, and
> even the ownership of security issues.

Drupal core has a greater code quality than Drupal modules since each
patch going into core gets reviewed by a lot of developers before it
gets committed. Contributed modules however can be authored by anybody.
It's the reason why, before using one of them, one should consider the
code quality, the author of the module, the issue queue and what people
generally say about the module - see http://drupalmodules.com/ for
module ratings. Some well know core contributor also author modules.
There are some well know contributed modules which are very common and
therefore get a lot of review (CCK, Views, Panels, fivestars...). I
don't think this is very different from other Open Source projects where
anybody can share their plugin/module/code.

> It seems Drupal guys dont take on
> security issues for things that come from the modules or related
> projects that are being used inside drupal.
Being a member of the Drupal security team, I can assure you that we
also handle the contributed modules hosted on drupal.org (given the
resources of our team) and we reply to every legitimate security report
and release a security announcement when necessary. see
http://drupal.org/security-team for more details.

scor.