FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
"Marcus Moeller"
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Dear Dag.

>>> Did anyone look at the Forum capabilities of Drupal ? Or at some of the
>>> Drupal modules that add Forum capabilities.
>>
>> If you add drupal to the list on the wiki, I am sure someone will look
>> at it ( maybe me, I am considering using it for my own website as well ).
>
> There have been some interesting comments from Drupal users on my blog-post
> that compared the requirements with modules and features.

In general most of these comments are very interesting and Drupal is
of course a great CMS., but I think the forums (even the Advanced
Forums) does not scale that well.

There is a phpBB bridge available which might be an option.

Concerning Pun/FluxBB I have also talked to the (ex)developer of
Puntal who said that his software is final and will no longer be
developed. Puntal relies on the authentication framework of Pun/FluxBB
which also needs to be extended to use LDAP auth.

But I guess Puntal is no real option as it's no longer maintained.

Best Regards
Marcus
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ralph and Fabian are going to work on setting up a test ldap server,
> once that is online we will then start by installing into our
> test-vm-farm the various s/w to eval them.

That has been done now, see <http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums>.

As that page states: Password on request (oh yes, and I do have to know
you).

It's a very basic setup, but it should work. If one of those forum
softwares has special requirements about schemas or so, please note that
either here or in the wiki.

Cheers,

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Dag Wieers wrote:
There have been some interesting comments from Drupal users on my
blog-post that compared the requirements with modules and features.
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-972
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-973
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-978
I guess that is a first stop when assessing Drupal's capabilities.


That is good, however they dont say anything more than whats already
available on google searches for these things. What we really would need
before deciding is to have someone offer to take ownership of the
effort to evaluate drupal, do the setup, setup some of these features
and see how usable it really is.


eg. I am looking at Drupal for my own site and I find venturing into the
modules portion of drupal immediately drops the quality of code, and
even the ownership of security issues. It seems Drupal guys dont take on
security issues for things that come from the modules or related
projects that are being used inside drupal.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Marcus Moeller wrote:

In general most of these comments are very interesting and Drupal is
of course a great CMS., but I think the forums (even the Advanced
Forums) does not scale that well.


This seems to be my impression as well. However, I'd still like to see
this myself on a local install.



There is a phpBB bridge available which might be an option.


yup.


Concerning Pun/FluxBB I have also talked to the (ex)developer of
Puntal who said that his software is final and will no longer be
developed. Puntal relies on the authentication framework of Pun/FluxBB
which also needs to be extended to use LDAP auth.

But I guess Puntal is no real option as it's no longer maintained.


I think you missed some of the discussions around this issue since they
happened a few months back - but yes, puntal/punbb are not on the agenda
since fluxbb was the fork we are following.


Also, there were licensing issues around punbb which made a few people
uncomfortable.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Karanbir Singh wrote:


eg. I am looking at Drupal for my own site and I find venturing into the
modules portion of drupal immediately drops the quality of code, and
even the ownership of security issues. It seems Drupal guys dont take on
security issues for things that come from the modules or related
projects that are being used inside drupal.




We (in my day job) see the same security issues for Joomla based sites
when modules are used to extend core functionality. Site
developers/owners are quick to extend functionality by installing
additional plugins but then don't want the responsibility of maintaining
multiple packages/plugins on the server. It just adds a further layer of
complexity as any plugins need to also be separately monitored (and
maintained) for security updates.


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
"Marcus Moeller"
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Good Evening.

>> eg. I am looking at Drupal for my own site and I find venturing into the
>> modules portion of drupal immediately drops the quality of code, and even
>> the ownership of security issues. It seems Drupal guys dont take on
>> security issues for things that come from the modules or related projects
>> that are being used inside drupal.
>>
>
> We (in my day job) see the same security issues for Joomla based sites when
> modules are used to extend core functionality. Site developers/owners are
> quick to extend functionality by installing additional plugins but then
> don't want the responsibility of maintaining multiple packages/plugins on
> the server. It just adds a further layer of complexity as any plugins need
> to also be separately monitored (and maintained) for security updates.

That's definitly true and why I try to leave most of the code as-is
and add nearly no additional modules. I personally like Joomla very
much. There where some annoying security issues in the past but I
still believe in the stable code-base.

The Joomla phpBB bridge is non-invasive and should just work fine. If
someone is interested in testing I could give him/her an account on
gcug.de which will be merged when de.centos.org is going to happen.

This makes use of Fireboard, but I think I could also offer an phpBB
installation. I could also transfer the installation to a testing VM
if someone could grant me access.

Best Regards
Marcus
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Marcus Moeller wrote:

The Joomla phpBB bridge is non-invasive and should just work fine. If
someone is interested in testing I could give him/her an account on
gcug.de which will be merged when de.centos.org is going to happen.


you should request a vm on *.dev.centos.org and setup joomla there with
the phpBB bridge.


Were only really going to consider options that get setup on
*.dev.centos.org and ca demonstrate they work for the issues raised.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
"Marcus Moeller"
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

2008/9/29 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> Marcus Moeller wrote:
>>
>> The Joomla phpBB bridge is non-invasive and should just work fine. If
>> someone is interested in testing I could give him/her an account on
>> gcug.de which will be merged when de.centos.org is going to happen.
>
> you should request a vm on *.dev.centos.org and setup joomla there with the
> phpBB bridge.
>
> Were only really going to consider options that get setup on
> *.dev.centos.org and ca demonstrate they work for the issues raised.

So Ralph, could you please set up a basic LAMP VM for that?

Best Regards
Marcus
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Ned Slider wrote:
We (in my day job) see the same security issues for Joomla based sites
when modules are used to extend core functionality. Site
developers/owners are quick to extend functionality by installing
additional plugins but then don't want the responsibility of maintaining
multiple packages/plugins on the server. It just adds a further layer of
complexity as any plugins need to also be separately monitored (and
maintained) for security updates.




yes, and its things like this :

http://drupal.org/node/313054

which are quite scary.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Dag Wieers
 
Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:


Dag Wieers wrote:

There have been some interesting comments from Drupal users on my
blog-post that compared the requirements with modules and features.
http: //dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-972
http: //dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-973
http: //dag.wieers.com/blog/drupal-for-centos-portal-and-forums#comment-978

I guess that is a first stop when assessing Drupal's capabilities.


That is good, however they dont say anything more than whats already
available on google searches for these things. What we really would need
before deciding is to have someone offer to take ownership of the effort to
evaluate drupal, do the setup, setup some of these features and see how
usable it really is.


I can certainly ask the people the reacted on the blog-post, but in that
case (s)he should have access to the system to configure it.



eg. I am looking at Drupal for my own site and I find venturing into the
modules portion of drupal immediately drops the quality of code, and even the
ownership of security issues. It seems Drupal guys dont take on security
issues for things that come from the modules or related projects that are
being used inside drupal.


I think that is the difference between the core modules and the
contributed stuff. As soon as they would take ownership it would be as
part of the core.


Of course, core developers also contribute modules, so it largely depend
on the module itself.


--
-- dag wieers, dag@centos.org, http://dag.wieers.com/ --
[Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org