Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
It seems that because of the license, SMF can be removed from the forum
candidates list ?

In my opinion: Yes. We cannot redistribute a version adapted to CentOS (RHEL)
packaging guidelines without getting written permission.

I've updated the wiki page, added point I. Friendly license, and marked
off SMF, and moved decision to 'Rejected' Leave it in the list so we
know its been considered.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:55 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> I've updated the wiki page, added point I. Friendly license, and marked off
> SMF, and moved decision to 'Rejected' Leave it in the list so we know its
> been considered.

Sometime ago, we briefly talked about fluxBB as a candidate. You
showed some concerns at that time:

[Fri Jul 11 2008] [08:48:29] <z00dax> its got to be mainstream, its
got to be something with a secure reputation and its got to be
something that is going to be around for a while

The fact that fluxBB is on the list means this is no longer a factor
against it ?? One positive aspect of fluxBB is that llaumgui offered
to help with migration from xoops to fluxBB:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=14921&forum =18&post_id=52919

So, I added "Yes" to column H of fluxBB in the candidate matrix.

Akemi

Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Karanbir Singh

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Sometime ago, we briefly talked about fluxBB as a candidate. You
showed some concerns at that time:

I've not looked into it again, I dont know what the state of fluxbb is
at the moment, however it does seem that punbb is pretty much eol'ing now.

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=14921&forum =18&post_id=52919

So, I added "Yes" to column H of fluxBB in the candidate matrix.

Lets mark that as a Yes once we've seen the data move over. Is there a
migration script ?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:58 AM
"Jerry Amundson"

On 9/25/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> I can still suggest Joomla/Fireboard which is customizable and scales
>> well. Joomla is also LDAP capable and offers some nice features like
>> FAQs, News Headings and so on. Fireboard currently works in
>> compatibility mode on Joomla 1.5 but should do it's job either. I am
>> personally well known with Joomla Templates.
>
> Go ahead and add that to the list, if you like. My only issue with
> joomla is the sheer number of security issues that come up with it are
> quite disturbing.

But with a large community, and strong core developers, the number of
issues decreases over time, and are at a point now of 0 security
issues. Suffice to say that the past has lead key teams within Joomla
to circle the wagons. The current releases are solid - I use 1.5.x for
personal sites, and 1.0.x at $dayjob.

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".

Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> Sometime ago, we briefly talked about fluxBB as a candidate. You
>> showed some concerns at that time:
>
> I've not looked into it again, I dont know what the state of fluxbb is at
> the moment, however it does seem that punbb is pretty much eol'ing now.
>
>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=14921&forum =18&post_id=52919
>>
>> So, I added "Yes" to column H of fluxBB in the candidate matrix.
>
> Lets mark that as a Yes once we've seen the data move over. Is there a
> migration script ?

We have to check with llaumgui but he offered to do a migration test
from xoops to fluxBB using his script. Therefore, I would think he
can try that as soon as the vm farm has been set up.

Akemi

Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Sometime ago, we briefly talked about fluxBB as a candidate. You
showed some concerns at that time:

I've not looked into it again, I dont know what the state of fluxbb is at
the moment, however it does seem that punbb is pretty much eol'ing now.

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=14921&forum =18&post_id=52919

So, I added "Yes" to column H of fluxBB in the candidate matrix.

Lets mark that as a Yes once we've seen the data move over. Is there a
migration script ?

We have to check with llaumgui but he offered to do a migration test
from xoops to fluxBB using his script. Therefore, I would think he
can try that as soon as the vm farm has been set up.

Akemi

Just for information : in my previous mail i was talking about Guillaume
offering his help for the migration .. : his nickname is llaumgui ;-)

-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
"Internet network currently down, TCP/IP packets delivered now by
UPS/Fedex ..."

--
-

Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Marcus Moeller wrote:

I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.

I don't really see any restrictions on it's use, only it's distribution.
I just don't particularly like the language per se.

It would mean that we'd use a forum software but wouldn't really be able to
package it - especially if we had to change some code to make it work
smoothly on a (for example) SELinux enabled CentOS install (or just put
files somewhere else than SMF expects them to be and we would have to
change code for that).

For me this is a real showstopper.

Ralph

+1 ... actually punbb/fluxbb works on a CentOS 5.x DomU with Selinux
enabled and it's working ok (nothing to change, except allowing httpd to
send smtp mail for the mail notification part of the forum)

--
-

Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Dag Wieers

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
> Marcus Moeller wrote:
> > I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.
> >
> I don't really see any restrictions on it's use, only it's distribution.
> I just don't particularly like the language per se.

It would mean that we'd use a forum software but wouldn't really be able
package it - especially if we had to change some code to make it work
smoothly on a (for example) SELinux enabled CentOS install (or just put
files somewhere else than SMF expects them to be and we would have to
change code for that).

For me this is a real showstopper.

Ralph

+1 ... actually punbb/fluxbb works on a CentOS 5.x DomU with Selinux enabled
and it's working ok (nothing to change, except allowing httpd to send smtp
mail for the mail notification part of the forum)

Did anyone look at the Forum capabilities of Drupal ? Or at some of the
Drupal modules that add Forum capabilities.

I don't know what is important for forums, but it is used quite
succesfully for lots of websites and the integration with a Drupal portal
would mean that where necessary posts could be hightlighted on the
frontpage (or some subsequent portal-page).

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Neil Thompson

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:31:33PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Did anyone look at the Forum capabilities of Drupal ? Or at some of the
> Drupal modules that add Forum capabilities.
>
> I don't know what is important for forums, but it is used quite
> succesfully for lots of websites and the integration with a Drupal portal
> would mean that where necessary posts could be hightlighted on the
> frontpage (or some subsequent portal-page).

I'd agree with Dag - Drupal is definitely worth a look. License is good,
integration with all sorts of other things is good, they actively hunt
down security problems and fix them timeously, and a packages are already
available on Fedora, so just plugging it into CentOS should not be too
difficult.

OBDisclaimer: I'm still implementing my first site with it, so there may
be issues I'm not aware of.

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

...aliquando et insanire iucundum est.
-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Karanbir Singh

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Did anyone look at the Forum capabilities of Drupal ? Or at some of the
> Drupal modules that add Forum capabilities.

If you add drupal to the list on the wiki, I am sure someone will look
at it ( maybe me, I am considering using it for my own website as well ).

> I don't know what is important for forums, but it is used quite
> succesfully for lots of websites and the integration with a Drupal
> portal would mean that where necessary posts could be hightlighted on
> the frontpage (or some subsequent portal-page).

Looks like there is a phpBB module for drupal, so would be worth a look,
please add to the list