Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
"Marcus Moeller"

Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Dear Ned.

>>> http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

>> I don't like the license
>>

> I don't like it either - that's why I raised it. Is it a show stopper
> discounting SMF from further consideration or is it something we can still
> work with (the license) and keep it on the shortlist? No point doing a lot
> of ldap integration work or whatever to only find out down the line the
> license isn't tolerable.

I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.

>>> This is a task I can do. Where/how would you like the information?
>>
>> Why not here in this thread first?
>>

> Here is a summary of issues raised by forum users so far:
>
> *Major*
> - Persistent logins (users currently have to re-login every 24h)
> - The remember me, keep cookie for 1 year option looks broken (relates to
> point 1 above and is presumably a xoops issue)
> - View/jump to first unread post within thread feature
> - Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins (per user, not per
> machine)
> - Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address.
> - Better management of subscribed threads
>
> *Minor*
> - Thank User button/feature
> - Quick links feature

I think phpBB addresses nearly all of these issues. It scales well and
is GPL licensed. It also inculdes an easy update/patch management
system which is really necessary in my pov.

The main disadvantage of phpBB is that there is no good portal
software available for it. There have been some attempts of XOOPS
integration (X-phpBBi) but they are afaik no longer supported. The
'only' active portal project for phpBB3 that I know is Board3.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Ned Slider

Marcus Moeller wrote:

Dear Ned.

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

I don't like the license

I don't like it either - that's why I raised it. Is it a show stopper
discounting SMF from further consideration or is it something we can still
work with (the license) and keep it on the shortlist? No point doing a lot
of ldap integration work or whatever to only find out down the line the
license isn't tolerable.

I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.

I don't really see any restrictions on it's use, only it's distribution.
I just don't particularly like the language per se.

[...]

Can you (or anyone) point me to any good examples of phpBB forum
deployments where I could register to get a feel for it's end-user
features/usability? (I'm already familiar with some SMF based forums and
it certainly meets end user requirements).

Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Ned Slider wrote:
<big snip>
Can you (or anyone) point me to any good examples of phpBB forum
deployments where I could register to get a feel for it's end-user
features/usability? (I'm already familiar with some SMF based forums and
it certainly meets end user requirements).

hmm, why not using the forums at the source :
http://www.phpbb.com/support/forums/ ;-)

Regarding data migration from one system to the other , Guillaume (the
fedora guy who was behind the initial request for the fr.centos.org
website) is willing to help : he wrote a script to migrate from xoops
(does that ring a bell ? ) to punbb for the http://www.fedora-fr.org
website/forum . I told him that because fluxbb (successor of punbb)
doesn't have (yet, but on the roadmap) a ldap auth feature, it could be
abandoned .. but he said that if that was needed he can have a look to
write the ldap_auth_hook for fluxbb .

It seems that because of the license, SMF can be removed from the forum
candidates list ?

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Ned Slider wrote:
<snip>
>... forum deployments where I could register to get a feel for it's
end-user
features/usability?

Talking about tests, there is plan to setup a 'sandbox' system in a
vm-farm so that we can simulate different instances of forums against a
temporary ldap so that people can play with, experiment and validate
first migration tests when the final decision will be made.

--
-

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Ned Slider

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
<snip>
>... forum deployments where I could register to get a feel for it's
end-user
features/usability?

Talking about tests, there is plan to setup a 'sandbox' system in a
vm-farm so that we can simulate different instances of forums against a
temporary ldap so that people can play with, experiment and validate
first migration tests when the final decision will be made.

Excellent. I'll look out for an announcement for that

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Ned Slider wrote:
> Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.
>>

> I don't really see any restrictions on it's use, only it's distribution.
> I just don't particularly like the language per se.

It would mean that we'd use a forum software but wouldn't really be able to
package it - especially if we had to change some code to make it work
smoothly on a (for example) SELinux enabled CentOS install (or just put
files somewhere else than SMF expects them to be and we would have to
change code for that).

For me this is a real showstopper.

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org

Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> It seems that because of the license, SMF can be removed from the forum
> candidates list ?

In my opinion: Yes. We cannot redistribute a version adapted to CentOS (RHEL)
packaging guidelines without getting written permission.

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org

Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Karanbir Singh

Karanbir Singh wrote:
I'll setup a wiki page for this issue, which might be a good place to
track progress.

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/langSubsites and
http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Karanbir Singh

Marcus Moeller wrote:

I can still suggest Joomla/Fireboard which is customizable and scales
well. Joomla is also LDAP capable and offers some nice features like
FAQs, News Headings and so on. Fireboard currently works in
compatibility mode on Joomla 1.5 but should do it's job either. I am
personally well known with Joomla Templates.

Go ahead and add that to the list, if you like. My only issue with
joomla is the sheer number of security issues that come up with it are
quite disturbing.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:
- Must address the specific requirements raised by the present
www.centos.org forum users ( Can you please fill this section in ? )

This is a task I can do. Where/how would you like the information?

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

Also, w.r.t testing, I think we will need it to be on one of our VM's
before any OK decisions are made.