Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Hi,

Earlier in the evening today Ralph, Fabian and I had a chat about the
present state of the language subsites. This email sort of summarises
the main issue ( s/w ).

We seem to have run into a slight technical hitch with punbb/fluxbb.
They dont support LDAP as a backend. And we had decided a few months
back that all new rollouts must have ldap backend so we can rollin
CentOS-DS / openldap based backend.

So we need to look at alternatives, and since the primary focus of these
international sites is going be forums : Here is a shortlist ( if there
is anything else that people are aware of, please add to this list )

- phpBB
- SMF
- Fudforum
- phorum
- fluxbb

Requirements:
- Must be able to scale ( couple of hundred thousand msgs )
- Must be able to handle ldap auth ( if it cant, whats involved in
writing the ldap-auth portion )
- Must address the specific requirements raised by the present
www.centos.org forum users ( Can you please fill this section in ? )

- Must support all languages we need ( pure utf8 support would be good )
- Secure
- Skin'able

Nice to have:
- Capable of running multiple instances from a single deployment
- responsive community

Things we will need to do:
- Decide on what s/w to use.
- Give the ArtWork people enough time to get the look & feel sorted.
- Migrate newbb forums from www.centos.org to $system ( hey, english is
a language too ).

- Migrate fr.centos.org into the final s/w
- setup {de/es/ja/it/pt_br}.centos.org

Actions:
Ralph and Fabian are going to work on setting up a test ldap server,
once that is online we will then start by installing into our
test-vm-farm the various s/w to eval them.

If anyone would like to help, please feel free to jump right in.

I'll setup a wiki page for this issue, which might be a good place to
track progress.