Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Default CentOS on the Asus Eeepc ...

We talked earlier on IRC about the Asus Eeepc
I think the idea was to start a wiki page with at least informations
regarding the Eeepc.
So here it is : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Asus/Eeepc (not
linked from the CentOS on Laptops wiki page yet though , still a draft ;-) )

I had to modify the installer initrd.img to include the atl2.ko module
for the wired nic to install from my local mirror .. where do i store it
? on the wiki page itself, as an attachment ? a simple link to a tmp
space on my website ?

I'm now wondering what's the best way to include the atl2.ko module
during setup : a rpm that will be fetched from centos extras (?) or a
simple driverdisk ?

Ideas & comments welcome ...
--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
"Marcus Moeller"

Dear Adrian.

> We talked earlier on IRC about the Asus Eeepc
> I think the idea was to start a wiki page with at least informations
> regarding the Eeepc.
> So here it is : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Asus/Eeepc (not linked
> from the CentOS on Laptops wiki page yet though , still a draft ;-) )

First, thanks for your work on Eee support.

> I had to modify the installer initrd.img to include the atl2.ko module for
> the wired nic to install from my local mirror .. where do i store it ? on
> the wiki page itself, as an attachment ? a simple link to a tmp space on my
> website ?
>
> I'm now wondering what's the best way to include the atl2.ko module during
> setup : a rpm that will be fetched from centos extras (?) or a simple
> driverdisk ?

I would suggest to use ddiskit as that's what it's meant to be for.

An option could be to build an RPM and to include it in an additional
repository.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Karanbir Singh

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
I had to modify the installer initrd.img to include the atl2.ko module
for the wired nic to install from my local mirror .. where do i store it
? on the wiki page itself, as an attachment ? a simple link to a tmp
space on my website ?

I'm now wondering what's the best way to include the atl2.ko module
during setup : a rpm that will be fetched from centos extras (?) or a
simple driverdisk ?

Ideas & comments welcome ...

I've been working on an alternate installer, which does not use anaconda
at all, for the eeepc since we need to change a lot of default stuff in
order to get the basic stuff working in a reasonable manner.

Also, is this atl2 ko based on the one that I had built sometime back or
is this from the 2.x version ? if so, is it stable enough to rebase onto
in the 2.6.18 code ?

PS: please dont crosspost.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Marcus Moeller wrote:

Dear Adrian.

Dear Roger ,

I would suggest to use ddiskit as that's what it's meant to be for.

Yeah, that was one of the possibility i had a look at ...

An option could be to build an RPM and to include it in an additional
repository.

That was the alternative to a dd ... i was thinking about a very small
epo specific for the eeepc that could host the patched madwifi , the
uvcvideo kmod (for the webcam) and the atl2.ko module ...

But if Karanbir wants to take an alternative path to the traditionnal
anaconda stuff ...

--
-

Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
I had to modify the installer initrd.img to include the atl2.ko module
for the wired nic to install from my local mirror .. where do i store
it ? on the wiki page itself, as an attachment ? a simple link to a
tmp space on my website ?

I'm now wondering what's the best way to include the atl2.ko module
during setup : a rpm that will be fetched from centos extras (?) or a
simple driverdisk ?

Ideas & comments welcome ...

I've been working on an alternate installer, which does not use anaconda
at all, for the eeepc since we need to change a lot of default stuff in
order to get the basic stuff working in a reasonable manner.
Hmm, is that not too much work, especially when 5.3 and further releases
show their heads ?

Also, is this atl2 ko based on the one that I had built sometime back or
is this from the 2.x version ? if so, is it stable enough to rebase onto
in the 2.6.18 code ?
It's still the v1 of the driver, so basically the same that you used ..
except that i rebuilt it from
http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/atl2-kmod-1.0.40.4-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
We tried with Manuel Wolfshant to have the v2 driver built on 2.6.18 but
it didn't work (Manuel took contact with the devel guy but i think he
had still no answer )

PS: please dont crosspost.
Yeah, sorry for that (but of course i didn't intend to continue the
discussion on the -docs list).. i think i should have divided my post in
two : one for -docs regarding the created wiki page and the other one
about the core discussion ..

--
-

Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Mats Karlsson

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

We talked earlier on IRC about the Asus Eeepc
I think the idea was to start a wiki page with at least informations
regarding the Eeepc.
So here it is : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Asus/Eeepc (not
linked from the CentOS on Laptops wiki page yet though , still a draft
;-) )

I had to modify the installer initrd.img to include the atl2.ko module
for the wired nic to install from my local mirror .. where do i store
it ? on the wiki page itself, as an attachment ? a simple link to a
tmp space on my website ?

I'm now wondering what's the best way to include the atl2.ko module
during setup : a rpm that will be fetched from centos extras (?) or a
simple driverdisk ?

Ideas & comments welcome ...

A small correction:
The product name is : Eee PC 900 (ref.:
http://asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&mo delmenu=1)

and "CentOS 5.2 i386 setup on the eeepc"
Do you have plans to cover how to install via SD/USB devices?

Give me a hint if you want any help with the page.

/Mats

Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Mats Karlsson wrote:
<snip>

A small correction:
The product name is : Eee PC 900 (ref.:
http://asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&mo delmenu=1)

Ok, i'll correct that ;-)

and "CentOS 5.2 i386 setup on the eeepc"
Do you have plans to cover how to install via SD/USB devices?

Yes, i'll cover that a bit, but there is nothing special involved here
and it's already explained in the normal doc .. maybe i'll divide that
in two section : local usb install (with a link to the standard doc) and
network install

Give me a hint if you want any help with the page.

Of course i do ;-) .. Are you already running CentOS on the Eee pc ?
--
-

Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Mats Karlsson

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Mats Karlsson wrote:
<snip>

A small correction:
The product name is : Eee PC 900 (ref.:
http://asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&mo delmenu=1)

Ok, i'll correct that ;-)

and "CentOS 5.2 i386 setup on the eeepc"
Do you have plans to cover how to install via SD/USB devices?

Yes, i'll cover that a bit, but there is nothing special involved here
and it's already explained in the normal doc .. maybe i'll divide that
in two section : local usb install (with a link to the standard doc)
and network install

Give me a hint if you want any help with the page.

Of course i do ;-) .. Are you already running CentOS on the Eee pc ?
Not yet, Im running Ubuntu on it, I normaly run Ubuntu on desktops and
CentOS on servers.

But you inspired me so now am I downloading the LiveCD for tomorrows fun :-)

Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Niels de Vos

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> Also, is this atl2 ko based on the one that I had built sometime back
>> or is this from the 2.x version ? if so, is it stable enough to rebase
>> onto in the 2.6.18 code ?
> It's still the v1 of the driver, so basically the same that you used ..
> except that i rebuilt it from
> http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/atl2-kmod-1.0.40.4-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
> We tried with Manuel Wolfshant to have the v2 driver built on 2.6.18 but
> it didn't work (Manuel took contact with the devel guy but i think he
> had still no answer )

As discussed yesterday on #centos-devel, I've created a patch [1] for
madwifi (based on a version from fedora 8 [2]).

A src.rpm is available on my site [3]. Feel free to use the patch and/or
src.rpm to provide support for an eeePC

Cheers,
Niels

[1] http://www.nixpanic.net/software/patches/madwifi-ng-r2756_rhel52.patch?attredirects=0