Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Default CentOS on the Asus Eeepc ...

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> Dear Adrian.
>>
> Dear Roger ,

Dear Eleanor,

> That was the alternative to a dd ... i was thinking about a very small
> epo specific for the eeepc that could host the patched madwifi , the
> uvcvideo kmod (for the webcam) and the atl2.ko module ...

But can you reach that repo with your eee pc (does it have a normal
ethernet interface?).

> But if Karanbir wants to take an alternative path to the traditionnal
> anaconda stuff ...

Hm?

Ralph

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Marcus Moeller wrote:

Dear Adrian.

Dear Roger ,

Dear Eleanor,

Dear Erik, ... :-p

That was the alternative to a dd ... i was thinking about a very small
epo specific for the eeepc that could host the patched madwifi , the
uvcvideo kmod (for the webcam) and the atl2.ko module ...

But can you reach that repo with your eee pc (does it have a normal
ethernet interface?).

The atl2 nic is a wired one ... the wireless nic (on the 900) needs a
specific madwifi version
So yes, assuming that the user wants to setup from the network/can
access the specific repo, that can be doable ..

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 09-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Niels de Vos wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
Also, is this atl2 ko based on the one that I had built sometime back
or is this from the 2.x version ? if so, is it stable enough to rebase
onto in the 2.6.18 code ?

It's still the v1 of the driver, so basically the same that you used ..
except that i rebuilt it from
http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/atl2-kmod-1.0.40.4-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
We tried with Manuel Wolfshant to have the v2 driver built on 2.6.18 but
it didn't work (Manuel took contact with the devel guy but i think he
had still no answer )

As discussed yesterday on #centos-devel, I've created a patch [1] for
madwifi (based on a version from fedora 8 [2]).

A src.rpm is available on my site [3]. Feel free to use the patch and/or
src.rpm to provide support for an eeePC

Cheers,
Niels

[1] http://www.nixpanic.net/software/patches/madwifi-ng-r2756_rhel52.patch?attredirects=0
[2] http://tchung.fedorapeople.org/madwifi/ar2425/2.6.24.3-34.fc8/
[3] http://www.nixpanic.net/software/packages/madwifi-0.2756.20071018-6.src.rpm?attredirects=0

Thanks Niels

I've rebuilt your madwifi patched SRPM and it works ok on the Eee PC ..
i still don't know what will be the official CentOS way regarding that
.. but because madwifi contains 'non-free' stuff, it should be better if
that rpm would be available from a third-party repo, and not from centos
extras for example ...
What others think about that ? I'll wait for an official answer before
updating the wiki page and point to the madwifi rpms (madwifi and
madwifi module)

--
-