Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
John Summerfield

Default C5 kernels

Using yum, I see these kernels:
[root@tpMail yum.repos.d]# yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=centosplus
info kernel.i686

* centosplus: centos.mirror.aussiehq.net.au
0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Installed Packages
Name : kernel
Arch : i686
Version: 2.6.18
Release: 92.1.10.el5
Size : 37 M
Repo : installed
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system. The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

Name : kernel
Arch : i686
Version: 2.6.18
Release: 53.1.14.el5.centos.plus
Size : 41 M
Repo : installed
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system. The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

Name : kernel
Arch : i686
Version: 2.6.18
Release: 92.1.6.el5
Size : 37 M
Repo : installed
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system. The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

Available Packages
Name : kernel
Arch : i686
Version: 2.6.18
Release: 92.1.10.el5.centos.plus
Size : 16 M
Repo : centosplus
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system. The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

[root@tpMail yum.repos.d]#

I'm bothered by the differences in their sizes.
This list makes it easier to see relevant points:
[root@tpMail yum.repos.d]# yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=centosplus
info kernel.i686 | egrep 'Name|Release|Size|Repo'

Name : kernel
Release: 92.1.10.el5
Size : 37 M
Repo : installed
Name : kernel
Release: 53.1.14.el5.centos.plus
Size : 41 M
Repo : installed
Name : kernel
Release: 92.1.6.el5
Size : 37 M
Repo : installed
Name : kernel
Release: 92.1.10.el5.centos.plus
Size : 16 M
Repo : centosplus
[root@tpMail yum.repos.d]#

One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other kernels
are 37 Mbytes.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Eric DuToit

In a flurry of recycled electrons John Summerfield wrote:

Using yum, I see these kernels:

One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other kernels
are 37 Mbytes.

Looks good to me.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Eric DuToit

In a flurry of recycled electrons John Summerfield wrote:

Using yum, I see these kernels:

I'm bothered by the differences in their sizes.
This list makes it easier to see relevant points:

One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other kernels
are 37 Mbytes.

Sorry.. didn't see the nugget in the middle.

<crawls back into hole>

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Karanbir Singh

http://bugs.centos.org/

Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>>
>> One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other kernels
>> are 37 Mbytes.
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature... Anyway, my guess is as
follows. Those kernels with the size ~40MB are installed on the
system and the size represents the "installed size" which can be seen
with 'rpm -qi'. On the other hand, the kernel that yum reported as
16MB is *not* on the system, so this is the size of the rpm file as
yum sees it as the "download size".

Akemi

Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
James Antill

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 08:52 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> I'm bothered by the differences in their sizes.
> This list makes it easier to see relevant points:

As Akemi said there is more than just "one size" for an rpm, the UI
value displayed is almost always "what the user wants to see" ... but it
falls down if you try and compare installed and not-installed sizes
using it.

If you want to know how to compare them, or what the different values
mean I've tried to write it up so it's understandable:

http://illiterat.livejournal.com/6439.html

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora

Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 AM
John Summerfield

James Antill wrote:

I'm bothered by the differences in their sizes.
This list makes it easier to see relevant points:

As Akemi said there is more than just "one size" for an rpm, the UI
value displayed is almost always "what the user wants to see" ... but it
falls down if you try and compare installed and not-installed sizes
using it.

If you want to know how to compare them, or what the different values
mean I've tried to write it up so it's understandable:

http://illiterat.livejournal.com/6439.html

Okay, I've downloaded the "short" kernel. It's filesize is (about) what
yum reported, when I interrogated the downloaded rpm with rpm its size
is more in line with the others:
[root@tpMail yum.repos.d]# rpm -qip
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.centos.plus.i686.rpm

Name : kernel Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 2.6.18 Vendor: CentOS
Release : 92.1.10.el5.centos.plus Build Date: Fri 08 Aug 2008
02:15:09 AM WST

Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: builder16.centos.org
Group : System Environment/Kernel Source RPM:
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.centos.plus.src.rpm

Size : 44636846 License: GPLv2
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Fri 08 Aug 2008 05:47:19 AM WST, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897

Description :

Old 09-03-2008, 02:06 AM
R P Herrold

If it is not in the bug tracker, it is not a bug.

-- Russ herrold

Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 AM
"Jerry Amundson"

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>>> http://bugs.centos.org/
>
>> And?
>
> the phase comes to mind:
>
> If it is not in the bug tracker, it is not a bug.

How about:
If a bug falls in the bug tracker, does it make a sound?

james says it's normal http://illiterat.livejournal.com/6439.html
karan says report the bug http://bugs.centos.org/

any other thoughts?

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".