Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Jeff Johnson

Default C5 kernels

On Sep 2, 2008, at 10:19 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com>
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

http://bugs.centos.org/

And?

the phase comes to mind:

If it is not in the bug tracker, it is not a bug.

How about:
If a bug falls in the bug tracker, does it make a sound?

james says it's normal http://illiterat.livejournal.com/6439.html
karan says report the bug http://bugs.centos.org/

any other thoughts?

Boot the kernels and see if they work acceptably?

If the kernels don't boot or run, that sure sounds worthy of a bug
report,

no matter what size they are.

For extra credit: Report all the kernel sizes in base 13 to avoid any
possible confusions

with pre-existing native intuitions or conventions regarding "size".

73 de Jeff

Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Karanbir Singh

John Summerfield wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other
kernels are 37 Mbytes.

http://bugs.centos.org/

You seem to forget often that this list isnt a user support list or a
general-I-have-a-concern list. If you have an issue that might be a
concern put it in the bugtracker. if you want to talk about stuff, take
it to the CentOS list.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM
John Summerfield

Karanbir Singh wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
One C5 kernel is 41 Mbytes, the other 16. In contrast, the other
kernels are 37 Mbytes.

http://bugs.centos.org/

You seem to forget often that this list isnt a user support list or a
general-I-have-a-concern list. If you have an issue that might be a
concern put it in the bugtracker. if you want to talk about stuff, take
it to the CentOS list.

I think it's better to found out whether a bug exists before reporting
one. Do you disagree?

I also think that, if a bug exists, it's better to try to find out where
it is. Do you disagree?

Later discussion shows there is no problem in the kernel, where I
thought there was one.

If a bug exists, it's in yum reporting size wrongly; in one case it
reports the installed size (presumably) and in the other, the package's
file size.

If I report a bug on yum, probably I should use redhat's mechanism and
not CentOS since the final fix is not in the CentOS project's hands.

If the "short" kernel really was that short, it would be useless unless
it had been seriously refactored, with lots of modules packages. OTOH
the yum bug, and I now assert it is one, at worst leads to confusion.

There might be an argument that I should have asked the question on the
general users' list, but it seems to me that this particular question
needs to be seen by developers: mere users can, most likely, just
speculate - as some did here.

Am I wrong?

--

Cheers