FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default language specific community subsites

Hi,

Different people seem to have a different take on what the whole point
and aim of the regional / local communities is. I am laying out here
what we started with for fr.centos.org and what we hope to use for :


ja.centos.org
de.centos.org
es.centos.org
cn.centos.org

-----

The first thing really is that these are not regional subsites, they are
language based. Which is why its JA.centos.org and not JP.centos.org -
if there are other such situations, we would go with the language iso code.


Moving onto the point of this whole exercise. Well the point is to give
people who speak and communicate in a specific language a focused CentOS
centric starting point and a web forum[1] that they can use. And
pointers on where to go for help, documentations, details on the project
etc. And this should help provide a means for language teams and
translation groups to communicate easier.


Apart from the starting page and forums there will be no other content
hosted in the language subsites. All the content would be hosted
alongside the regular english content. eg. the way our wiki is setup
right now, and how different language translations are handled there.


I know that fr.centos.org was only a pilot and one issue that lots of
people pointed out was that it does not look like the other CentOS.org
websites. Thats a point taken on board, and none of the other subsites
are coming up till the ArtWork guys have a look and feel sorted for the
fr.centos.org site. Those guys already have this in their ToDo list.


Now, if you are interested in helping with any of these language lists,
please reply to this thread here in the mailing list and let us know.



- KB

[1]: this would / should / could really compliment the language specific
mailing lists we have already got in place, perhaps a forum software
that can gateway between the two would be nice.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default language specific community subsites

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> ja.centos.org
>
> Now, if you are interested in helping with any of these language lists,
> please reply to this thread here in the mailing list and let us know.

I'd like to list the names of the people who have offered to help with
ja.centos.org:

Hajime Taira
Junya Terazono
Tadashi Jokagi

Thanks,

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
"Marcus Moeller"
 
Default language specific community subsites

Dear Karanbir,

thanks for pointing that out. I am going to offer my help for the
German subsites (as I already started translating the Wiki pages) and
will join the Artwork SIG (as promised) to help Alain to migrate
smoothly. Ralph, it would also be great to have a separate ML for the
Artwork SIG.

Best Regards
Marcus
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
"Cleber Paiva de Souza"
 
Default language specific community subsites

I'd like help with br.centos.org if possible.


On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Different people seem to have a different take on what the whole point and
> aim of the regional / local communities is. I am laying out here what we
> started with for fr.centos.org and what we hope to use for :
>
> ja.centos.org
> de.centos.org
> es.centos.org
> cn.centos.org
>
> -----
>
> The first thing really is that these are not regional subsites, they are
> language based. Which is why its JA.centos.org and not JP.centos.org - if
> there are other such situations, we would go with the language iso code.
>
> Moving onto the point of this whole exercise. Well the point is to give
> people who speak and communicate in a specific language a focused CentOS
> centric starting point and a web forum[1] that they can use. And pointers on
> where to go for help, documentations, details on the project etc. And this
> should help provide a means for language teams and translation groups to
> communicate easier.
>
> Apart from the starting page and forums there will be no other content
> hosted in the language subsites. All the content would be hosted alongside
> the regular english content. eg. the way our wiki is setup right now, and
> how different language translations are handled there.
>
> I know that fr.centos.org was only a pilot and one issue that lots of people
> pointed out was that it does not look like the other CentOS.org websites.
> Thats a point taken on board, and none of the other subsites are coming up
> till the ArtWork guys have a look and feel sorted for the fr.centos.org
> site. Those guys already have this in their ToDo list.
>
> Now, if you are interested in helping with any of these language lists,
> please reply to this thread here in the mailing list and let us know.
>
>
> - KB
>
> [1]: this would / should / could really compliment the language specific
> mailing lists we have already got in place, perhaps a forum software that
> can gateway between the two would be nice.
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-devel mailing list
> CentOS-devel@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
>



--
Cleber Paiva de Souza
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default language specific community subsites

Cleber Paiva de Souza wrote:

I'd like help with br.centos.org if possible.




how different really is pt_BR and pt ?

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Fabian Arrotin
 
Default language specific community subsites

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Hi,
<snip>

I know that fr.centos.org was only a pilot and one issue that lots of
people pointed out was that it does not look like the other CentOS.org
websites. Thats a point taken on board, and none of the other subsites
are coming up till the ArtWork guys have a look and feel sorted for the
fr.centos.org site. Those guys already have this in their ToDo list.




Being involved in the fr.centos.org pilot i can of course help for the
other $lang.centos.org.
But the question to answer is the following : which forum/portal stuff
will be used ? the same we used for fr.centos.org ? Same setup/hierarchy
? a dedicated domU or vhost on the same domU as fr.centos.org ?
Please note that regarding Artwork, the guy who designed the
fr.centos.org punBB theme (a member of the Fedora project French team)
offered to do another one if needed .. of course it would be best if he
joined the CentOS Artwork-SIG, which is something i'll ask him to do if
Alain and the rest of the Artwork-SIG team has no time to prepare a
standard CentOS template for the $lang.centos.org forums ...


--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
"Internet network currently down, TCP/IP packets delivered now by
UPS/Fedex ..."




_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 AM
"Marcus Moeller"
 
Default language specific community subsites

Dear Fabian.

> Being involved in the fr.centos.org pilot i can of course help for the other
> $lang.centos.org.
> But the question to answer is the following : which forum/portal stuff will
> be used ? the same we used for fr.centos.org ? Same setup/hierarchy ? a
> dedicated domU or vhost on the same domU as fr.centos.org ?
> Please note that regarding Artwork, the guy who designed the fr.centos.org
> punBB theme (a member of the Fedora project French team) offered to do
> another one if needed .. of course it would be best if he joined the CentOS
> Artwork-SIG, which is something i'll ask him to do if Alain and the rest of

That would be great. I personally do not really like the fr.centos.org
design as it's too colorful in my pov but fresh ideas are always
welcome and we could discuss this on a (hopefully upcoming) Artwork
ML.

> the Artwork-SIG team has no time to prepare a standard CentOS template for
> the $lang.centos.org forums ...

I don't think it's (only) a question of time but a question of choice.
The design needs to scale on different screen sizes and should be used
throughout the whole website and subsites to offer a consistent look
and feel. As the CentOS websites are very content oriented it should
be eye friendly, as is the current .org and wiki pages are. A subsite
should look nearly like the main site, so it's also suggested to use
the same software. So Karanbir, please let us know which backend cms
and forum software you are willed to use and to maintain and if the
main site should be migrated, too?

Otherwise we need to make sure that the theme on main and subsites
look nearly the same.

Best Regards
Marcus
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default language specific community subsites

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Cleber Paiva de Souza wrote:
>> I'd like help with br.centos.org if possible.
>>
> how different really is pt_BR and pt ?

Very. I had rather long talks about that with Rodrigo Barbosa.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM
"Cleber Paiva de Souza"
 
Default language specific community subsites

Yes, there are many differences.

The wikipedia website is more precise
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese):

[...]
The differences between European Portuguese and standard Brazilian
Portuguese are comparable to those one might find when comparing
British and American English. The Brazilian formal written standard,
which is defined by law and international agreements with other
Portuguese-speaking countries, is actually very similar to the
European one; but there are nevertheless many differences in spelling,
lexicon, and grammar. European and Brazilian writers also have
markedly different preferences when choosing between supposedly
equivalent words or constructs.
[...]

The lexicon section also shows some differences examples.


On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Cleber Paiva de Souza wrote:
>>> I'd like help with br.centos.org if possible.
>>>
>> how different really is pt_BR and pt ?
>
> Very. I had rather long talks about that with Rodrigo Barbosa.
>
> Ralph
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-devel mailing list
> CentOS-devel@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
>
>



--
Cleber Paiva de Souza
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org