FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Joe Pruett
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

i have been looking around and i can't see a way to figure out what
--define options might be used for rpmbuild by rh. i want to build the
rhwas 5 non-java srpms but there is lots of ifdef magic in the spec that
could be important to building.


so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are there
logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have moles that
tell us?


i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.


any clues out there? i've heard that 4.7 is brewing right now, so i
understand that the people in the know may be off waving wands over the
build gnomes and not paying much attention here...

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

> so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are there
> logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have moles that
> tell us?
>
> i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
> figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.

Well, you should think about mock in that case - because that is how it
is built.

Cheers,

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Fabian Arrotin
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are there
logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have moles that
tell us?


i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.


Well, you should think about mock in that case - because that is how it
is built.

Cheers,

Ralph


Hmm, afaik Upstream doesn't use mock for EL .. i think they use a
'homebrew' builder system and they don't publish the logs/builder system
specs/etc .... Talk to several CentOS developers and they confirm that
it sometimes hard to guess what's the minimal chroot they use to build
the package .. sometimes BuildRequires: are missing if you want to build
it with a buildsys group like the one CentOS is using
(http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/)
However using mock is surely the best way to rebuild such SRPMs .. and
that's what a lot of people do (including CentOS project)


--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
"Internet network currently down, TCP/IP packets delivered now by
UPS/Fedex ..."




_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>>> so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are
>>> there logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have
>>> moles that tell us?
>>>
>>> i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
>>> figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.
>>
>> Well, you should think about mock in that case - because that is how it
>> is built.
>
> Hmm, afaik Upstream doesn't use mock for EL .. i think they use a
> 'homebrew' builder system and they don't publish the logs/builder system
> specs/etc

That is true for up to CentOS 4. EL 5 seems to be built on the same
systems they build fedora on.

> .... Talk to several CentOS developers and they confirm that
> it sometimes hard to guess what's the minimal chroot they use to build
> the package .. sometimes BuildRequires: are missing if you want to build
> it with a buildsys group like the one CentOS is using
> (http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/)

As said: Not true anymore for EL 5.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Joe Pruett wrote:
any clues out there? i've heard that 4.7 is brewing right now, so i
understand that the people in the know may be off waving wands over the
build gnomes and not paying much attention here...



the rhwas, along with updates released so far is on the buildsystem
waiting to clear through a few issues. I'll try and push it out over the
weekend. If there is nothing in c-testing by monday, feel free to poke me.


- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Dag Wieers
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:


Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are
there logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have
moles that tell us?

i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.


Well, you should think about mock in that case - because that is how it
is built.


Hmm, afaik Upstream doesn't use mock for EL .. i think they use a
'homebrew' builder system and they don't publish the logs/builder system
specs/etc


That is true for up to CentOS 4. EL 5 seems to be built on the same
systems they build fedora on.


.... Talk to several CentOS developers and they confirm that
it sometimes hard to guess what's the minimal chroot they use to build
the package .. sometimes BuildRequires: are missing if you want to build
it with a buildsys group like the one CentOS is using
(http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/)


As said: Not true anymore for EL 5.


What is still true is that it is not defined on what environment a given
package was built. Given the fact that a big chunk of the RHEL packages
came directly from FC6 build on whatever was current then.


CentOS-5 is build on a CentOS-5 system that was build on CentOS-4.

Please update me if I am wrong on this Otherwise I need more story to
be corrected...


--
-- dag wieers, dag@centos.org, http://dag.wieers.com/ --
[Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Joe Pruett
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

> > > so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are
> > > there logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have
> > > moles that tell us?


first off, i don't seem to be getting all of centos-devel. of this thread
(6 messages on lists.centos.org), i only seemed to receive my initial post
and the one from dag. are there any known problems with the devel email
list?


second, even though karanbir will be trying to build the rpms i am
interested in, so far no one has actually answered how we know what
rpmbuild command line to give. there are lots of --define possibilities
and i don't see that info available from a binary rpm. so how do we know
how to build a package?

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 AM
John Summerfield
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Ralph Angenendt wrote:


That is true for up to CentOS 4. EL 5 seems to be built on the same
systems they build fedora on.


My best guess would be that FC6 and El5 used the same build software:
- The were in beta together
- The share many packages
- Whatever RH was using before must surely have required a lot of
maintenance and thsi, I speculate, would be driving the initiative for a
replacement.



--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Joe Pruett wrote:
>>> > > > so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things? are
>>> > > > there logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at? or do we have
>>> > > > moles that tell us?
>
> first off, i don't seem to be getting all of centos-devel. of this
> thread (6 messages on lists.centos.org), i only seemed to receive my
> initial post and the one from dag. are there any known problems with the
> devel email list?

You are the first to complain. So - no, there aren't known problems. All
mails to your address I can find in the maillog have been taken by the
MX for your domain with a status of 250.

> second, even though karanbir will be trying to build the rpms i am
> interested in, so far no one has actually answered how we know what
> rpmbuild command line to give. there are lots of --define possibilities
> and i don't see that info available from a binary rpm. so how do we know
> how to build a package?

As said (for CentOS 5): If you build an SRPM via mock/plague, you're
doing it nearly the same as Red Hat does: In a clean environment.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
David Hrbáč
 
Default still trying to build upstream srpms

Ralph Angenendt napsal(a):
> You are the first to complain. So - no, there aren't known problems. All
> mails to your address I can find in the maillog have been taken by the
> MX for your domain with a status of 250.

Ralph,
I'm the second to complain. I can mention e.g.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-August/003171.html
Thanks,
David
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org