Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 PM
"Brian Schüler"

Default Question about CentOS 4.0beta PowerPC boot CD

Hi all!

Does anyone remember the CentOS 4.0 beta boot CD for PowerPC?
This is the only one type of boot CD that go to boot a Kernel on qemu (-system-ppc)
with the Open(Hack'ware)Bios. (The Kernel itself hangs up then)
Neither the Yellow Dog 6 DVD, nor Fedora 6 - 9 PPC edition, nor Ubuntu / Debian
boots on Qemu ppc. So I wanted to adapt the running yaboot loader and configuration
to boot the YDL 6 Kernel and initrd to install the stuff to make a mock build server for
the el5 ppc Target. But when I (re-)create the .iso with mkisofs, Qemu does not
recognize the CD-Image as a boot CD.

My Question: Does you (the creator of the 8.5 MB boot.iso) know, how you created the
.iso Image? Which options did you have used? I did not have found any documentation
how to create those CDs of that type (with a special Macintosh boot partition) that you
have produced. Would you like to help me saying how to create qemu-system-ppc
compatible boot discs ... ?

Thanks in advice,

Brian Schueler

Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Brian Schüler wrote:

Hi all!

Does anyone remember the CentOS 4.0 beta boot CD for PowerPC?

Yeah, i used to install it on a G4 recently ;-)

This is the only one type of boot CD that go to boot a Kernel on qemu (-system-ppc)
with the Open(Hack'ware)Bios. (The Kernel itself hangs up then)
Neither the Yellow Dog 6 DVD, nor Fedora 6 - 9 PPC edition, nor Ubuntu / Debian
boots on Qemu ppc. So I wanted to adapt the running yaboot loader and configuration
to boot the YDL 6 Kernel and initrd to install the stuff to make a mock build server for
the el5 ppc Target.

I know z00dax is busy with the ppc/ppc64 build these days ..
But when I (re-)create the .iso with mkisofs, Qemu does not

recognize the CD-Image as a boot CD.
how have you created the boot cd ? following this tuto ?
http://penguinppc.org/ppc64/power-bootable-iso/

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>