Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Seth Vidal

Default yum metadata for the c5-testing repository now has sqlite db as well

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 16:49 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 14:50 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> >> To add a bit more observation in this area...
> >>
> >> When doing a 'yum groupinstall "foo bar", some of the groups do pull
> >> i386 packages. Again, this is on a pure x86_64 system.
> >>
> >> I will stop this type of test unless there is something else I need to
> >> try out. At lease there was some improvement with the current version
> >> of yum.
> >
> > yum 3.2.17 and above set:
> > mutlilib_policy=best in yum.conf under [main] and it will only install
> > x86_64 pkgs.
> >
> > this is documented in the yum.conf file man page.
> >
> > -sv
>
> Thanks. That did it. By the way it is multilib_policy :-)
>
> >From the behavior I have seen, I assume 'all' is the default if not
> specified. Wouldn't it be better if 'best' is made the default
> option? Most people will probably not be aware of this option (when
> the new yum hit the street) and therefore will be installing
> unnecessary i386 packages on their x86_64 machines. ???

all has been the default behavior forever. We're experimenting with
changing that default in fedora, but I think it is a bad idea to change
defaults in the middle of a centos release.

-sv

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Karanbir Singh

Seth Vidal wrote:

yum 3.2.17 and above set:
mutlilib_policy=best in yum.conf under [main] and it will only install
x86_64 pkgs.

This sounds like something that should go in as default policy

Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Karanbir Singh

Seth Vidal wrote:

all has been the default behavior forever. We're experimenting with
changing that default in fedora, but I think it is a bad idea to change
defaults in the middle of a centos release.

I think the issue here is that its not a change in centos policy, its
going back to the way it was in 5.0 and 5.1. Its only been broken in 5.2
with the updated yum.

Something to consider anyway.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Seth Vidal

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 01:07 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Seth Vidal wrote:
> > all has been the default behavior forever. We're experimenting with
> > changing that default in fedora, but I think it is a bad idea to change
> > defaults in the middle of a centos release.
>
> I think the issue here is that its not a change in centos policy, its
> going back to the way it was in 5.0 and 5.1. Its only been broken in 5.2
> with the updated yum.
>
> Something to consider anyway.

Fair enough. And it's your call anyway.

I'm fine with it being =best - it's been shown to work in fedora9
reasonably well.

-sv

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Johnny Hughes

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

yum 3.2.17 and above set:
mutlilib_policy=best in yum.conf under [main] and it will only install
x86_64 pkgs.

This sounds like something that should go in as default policy

Default or not, it will only get implemented in users who have never
changed their yum.conf files.

I would be happy to have it be set to best ...

The real question is, why are so many i386 things installed by anaconda too.

If the files get there from whatever method, they will be updated OK no
matter what the setting ... correct?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 06:22 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> >
> > If the files get there from whatever method, they will be updated OK no
> > matter what the setting ... correct?
>
> I believe so. At least, I had to manually clean up the system to get
> rid of those i386 packages that are not needed on my x86_64 install.

yes, that's correct. Once the i386 pkgs are installed they are treated
like any other pkg to be updated.

the setting doesn't impact updates at all, only installs.

-sv

Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> As always, feedback is required. Either here in this mailing list or on
> http://bugs.centos.org/

Also here: Please use <http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3084> for
reporting any issues.

Ralph