Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default yum metadata for the c5-testing repository now has sqlite db as well

Hi,

As the subject line of this email says, the CentOS-5-Testing repository
now also has the sqlite databases along with the usual xml files. This
should result in faster end to end yum operations.

Depending on how this goes, we will then start adding the sqlite db's to
the CentOS-5 repos on mirror.centos.org as well.

As always, feedback is required. Either here in this mailing list or on
http://bugs.centos.org/

Regards,

- KB

Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the subject line of this email says, the CentOS-5-Testing repository now
> also has the sqlite databases along with the usual xml files. This should
> result in faster end to end yum operations.
>
> Depending on how this goes, we will then start adding the sqlite db's to
> the CentOS-5 repos on mirror.centos.org as well.
>
> As always, feedback is required. Either here in this mailing list or on
> http://bugs.centos.org/

OK, just a few things I noticed.

(1) yum-changelog cannot be installed:

Error: Missing Dependency: python-dateutil is needed by package
yum-changelog-1.1.14-0_beta_15_2.el5.centos.noarch (c5-testing)

(2) the skip-broken plugin causes an error:

optparse.OptionConflictError: option --skip-broken: conflicting option
string(s): --skip-broken

FIX: disable skip-broken

(3) On an x86_64 system with *no* i386 packages installed, the issue reported in

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/002961.html

did not occur (issue = 'yum install httpd-devel' installs both x86_64
and i386 rpm's). Only the x86_64 rpm was installed.

(4) However, 'yum install firefox' installs both arches unless
'.x86_86' is specified (on a clean x86_64 only system).

That's all for now.

Akemi

Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>
> (3) On an x86_64 system with *no* i386 packages installed, the issue reported in
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/002961.html
>
> did not occur (issue = 'yum install httpd-devel' installs both x86_64
> and i386 rpm's). Only the x86_64 rpm was installed.
>
> (4) However, 'yum install firefox' installs both arches unless
> '.x86_86' is specified (on a clean x86_64 only system).

To add a bit more observation in this area...

When doing a 'yum groupinstall "foo bar", some of the groups do pull
i386 packages. Again, this is on a pure x86_64 system.

I will stop this type of test unless there is something else I need to
try out. At lease there was some improvement with the current version
of yum.

Akemi

Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 14:50 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> To add a bit more observation in this area...
>>
>> When doing a 'yum groupinstall "foo bar", some of the groups do pull
>> i386 packages. Again, this is on a pure x86_64 system.
>>
>> I will stop this type of test unless there is something else I need to
>> try out. At lease there was some improvement with the current version
>> of yum.
>
> yum 3.2.17 and above set:
> mutlilib_policy=best in yum.conf under [main] and it will only install
> x86_64 pkgs.
>
> this is documented in the yum.conf file man page.
>
> -sv

Thanks. That did it. By the way it is multilib_policy :-)

>From the behavior I have seen, I assume 'all' is the default if not
specified. Wouldn't it be better if 'best' is made the default
option? Most people will probably not be aware of this option (when
the new yum hit the street) and therefore will be installing
unnecessary i386 packages on their x86_64 machines. ???

Akemi

Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 16:49 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> > yum 3.2.17 and above set:
>> > mutlilib_policy=best in yum.conf under [main] and it will only install
>> > x86_64 pkgs.
>> >
>> > this is documented in the yum.conf file man page.
>> >
>> > -sv
>>
>> Thanks. That did it. By the way it is multilib_policy :-)
>>
>> >From the behavior I have seen, I assume 'all' is the default if not
>> specified. Wouldn't it be better if 'best' is made the default
>> option? Most people will probably not be aware of this option (when
>> the new yum hit the street) and therefore will be installing
>> unnecessary i386 packages on their x86_64 machines. ???
>
> all has been the default behavior forever. We're experimenting with
> changing that default in fedora, but I think it is a bad idea to change
> defaults in the middle of a centos release.
>
> -sv

As you just pointed out, multilib_policy is new as of yum 3.2.17. So
as far as CentOS is concerned, it should be okay to start with the
'best' option ? (pun not intended).

Akemi

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> If the files get there from whatever method, they will be updated OK no
> matter what the setting ... correct?

I believe so. At least, I had to manually clean up the system to get
rid of those i386 packages that are not needed on my x86_64 install.

Akemi