Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Martin Sourada

Default Wallpaper Extras

Hi,

I noticed there were some proposals for additional backgrounds in
fedora, *again*. I also think it would be nice if we, the art team, have
provided some sort of background-extras package(s) with hand-picked
wallpapers. So I quickly put together a wiki page [1] for tracking the
content of such package. Feel free to extend it, edit it, propose
wallpapers for inclusion, ... Once we got a fair amount of accepted
wallpapers, I (or if anyone else is interested in it) will make a RPM
package and submit it for inclusion in Fedora.

Martin

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

I noticed there were some proposals for additional backgrounds in
fedora, *again*. I also think it would be nice if we, the art team, have
provided some sort of background-extras package(s) with hand-picked
wallpapers. So I quickly put together a wiki page [1] for tracking the

Good initiative!

content of such package. Feel free to extend it, edit it, propose
wallpapers for inclusion, ... Once we got a fair amount of accepted
wallpapers, I (or if anyone else is interested in it) will make a RPM
package and submit it for inclusion in Fedora.

What do you think is the best way to use it: upload the images (as big
as they are) to the wiki or have those hosted in our own space
(fedorapeople?) and just link to them?

A disadvantage of having them directly in the wiki is the large size,
but on the other hand we could use the MediaWiki built-in gallery feature.

Whit that being said, I think I have myself some photos to post right
away, will have to do some search and evaluation.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 12:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> What do you think is the best way to use it: upload the images (as big
> as they are) to the wiki or have those hosted in our own space
> (fedorapeople?) and just link to them?
>
> A disadvantage of having them directly in the wiki is the large size,
> but on the other hand we could use the MediaWiki built-in gallery feature.
>
> Whit that being said, I think I have myself some photos to post right
> away, will have to do some search and evaluation.

I think either is fine, but the gallery feature seems to win this for
me, IMHO it's perfect for such page. Is there a way to use within the
gallery external images? That would be even better. Or does the
MediaWiki also resize the images before it sends them to the requester?
I mean if the images displayed in the gallery were not scaled down on a
client but resized down on the server than the problem with large size
wouldn't be a problem at all.

Martin

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

I think either is fine, but the gallery feature seems to win this for
me, IMHO it's perfect for such page. Is there a way to use within the
gallery external images? That would be even better. Or does the

I don't know that much about MediaWiki.

MediaWiki also resize the images before it sends them to the requester?

For images stored in the wiki the thumbnails are created on the server.

I mean if the images displayed in the gallery were not scaled down on a
client but resized down on the server than the problem with large size
wouldn't be a problem at all.

I was thinking about file sizes... the JPEGs straight from my camera are
about 4.5-5MB, resized at 1920x1200, they will get under 1.5MB, but this
is still quite large (and the file size will be a problem for the
package too).

Thu Aug 7 13:30:01 2008
To: ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Change the default screensaver from black to ubuntu logo
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:15:44 +0100
From: "(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando"
<ubuntu@bugabundo.net>

Sender: ubuntu-desktop-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

--===============5516392669898426322==

--nextPart1434436.CfK4RoZ7xg

Ol=C3=A1 Oliver e a todos.

On Thursday 07 August 2008 10:45:20 Oliver Grawert wrote:

powertop might help

Powertop is a mess. running it will make my resume from hibernation fail an=
d some USB ports wont accept new devices [1]

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/51054

=2D-=20
BUGabundo )
(``-_-=C2=B4=C2=B4) http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net
Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance.=
I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...

--===============5516392669898426322==--

Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 13:11 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> For images stored in the wiki the thumbnails are created on the server.

Then I think uploading it to wiki directly is better way.

> I was thinking about file sizes... the JPEGs straight from my camera are
> about 4.5-5MB, resized at 1920x1200, they will get under 1.5MB, but this
> is still quite large (and the file size will be a problem for the
> package too).

That's a drawback of providing quality images we need to pay if we
decide to provide them. There are already packages in repos that have
size around 200MB and the extras backgrounds would fall into that kind
of packages too. Therefore I was thinking about splitting the package
into sub-packages as per the (sub-)categories listed on the wiki + plus
providing meta-packages to e.g. install all sub-categories of the
specified category, or everything. That would be nicer to our users.

Maybe even make separate packages for wide-screen wallpapers as people
with 16:10 displays usually do not need 4:3 wallpapers and vice-versa.

Another itchy thing is update of such packages. In environments with
yum-presto the issue would not be big, but for standard fedora
environment as it is now it means a lot of d/l with every update. That
would mean we'd need to keep the updates low and/or rather than making
sub-packages for categories, make the fully separate packages (but keep
the sub-categories-subpackages).

Btw. it is good thing to have upstream in more convenient place than
wiki/rpm, therefore making a fedorahosted.org project for that might be
a good idea. What do you think?

Any ideas/comments on that matter?

Martin

Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
"Frank Murphy (Frankly3D)"

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 10:51 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed there were some proposals for additional backgrounds in
> fedora,

This could tie in with:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-August/msg00103.html

By using extra packages give more control back to the user,
which is what it's all about.

Frank

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Nicu Buculei

Frank Murphy (Frankly3D) wrote:

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 10:51 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

Hi,

I noticed there were some proposals for additional backgrounds in
fedora,

This could tie in with:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-August/msg00103.html

Exactly that thread was Martin's motivation to start this

Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

Btw. it is good thing to have upstream in more convenient place than
wiki/rpm, therefore making a fedorahosted.org project for that might be
a good idea. What do you think?

Any ideas/comments on that matter?

Having the upstream or fedorahosted may bring us the benefit of a better
infrastructure, maybe some gallery software...
Are you subscribed to the infrastructure list? I think we can bring the
issue there and have their input.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:39 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > Btw. it is good thing to have upstream in more convenient place than
> > wiki/rpm, therefore making a fedorahosted.org project for that might be
> > a good idea. What do you think?
> >
> > Any ideas/comments on that matter?
>
> Having the upstream or fedorahosted may bring us the benefit of a better
> infrastructure, maybe some gallery software...
> Are you subscribed to the infrastructure list? I think we can bring the
> issue there and have their input.

Yeah, definitely. I am subscribed on the infra list. Basically, getting
space on fedorahosted involves filling a ticket in their trac instance
and having it accepted. I don't know if there are any trac plugins for
gallery, but if there were, it would be really great.

Come to think of it, if we were on fedorahosted we could also create a
simple application for downloading and installing some more extra
backgrounds e.g. directly from the repository, or various other places,
like art.gnome.org, that need not necessarily be among the
art-team-hand-picked limited selection.

But first things first :-p We need to get started and pick some
wallpapers for consideration ;-)

Martin

Old 08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

But first things first :-p We need to get started and pick some
wallpapers for consideration ;-)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Wallpaper_Extras

OK, I uploaded a [not that great] few, to break the ice, start the ball
rolling, provide an incentive and show how to use the gallery tag.