Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 AM
"Michael Worsham"

Default CentOS 5.x for Sparc?

Long ago, there was a CentOS build for Sparc under version 4.2 Beta. I
checked for the torrents for either the DVD and CD binary or source
isos, but no one is seeding that anymore as well. The old Sparc 4.2
beta repo was found here: http://beta.centos.org/centos/4.2beta/isos/sparc/ ... but that doesn't have enough information to even attempt a netinstall or a tftp/rarpd boot/install.

Then just recently, I saw this CentOS announcement/post:

"We
are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-5.2 for
the i386 and x86_64 Architectures. [...] Further Arch support for
PowerPC, IA64 and Sparc are planned and will be released soon. These
arch's will follow the existing pattern of release to Beta first, and
then to Final."

Reference:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2008-June/014999.html

So, my question is... when is a Sparc beta release going to be available for 5.x?

-- Michael

Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Karanbir Singh

hi,

Michael Worsham wrote:
So, my question is... when is a Sparc beta release going to be available
for 5.x?

http://sparc.centos.org/ has been available for sometime now. Were
working on bringing that uptodate with the currect i386/x86_64 pkg set.
Over the next couple of weeks we should have a more firm timeline and
action plan.

I am sure most of you guys who want to help out can also get involved.
We just need to work out how, give us a bit of time for that.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Johnny Hughes

Michael Worsham wrote:

[...]

There is a very alpha release here:

http://sparc.centos.org/

However, the code base and gcc/glibc (even for c5) is old and not so
stable for sparc.

That is based on 5.1 code ... I will be trying to build for 5.2 soon

Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Michael Worsham

Thanks for the site/URL. I downloaded the tftp64.img and was able to get
my SunFire V120 (UltraSPARC-IIe) to see the image and load it via my
CentOS 5 rarpd server.

However, I guess I am running into some sort of brick wall when it comes
to CentOS loading the correct NIC driver to assign an IP address to the
server. The V120's on-board network card is coming up as a eri0 and eri1
(Sun RIO 10/100 Ethernet [eri]).

If there a way to configure the command line via LOM interface it so it
loads the correct NIC driver, sets the ip, etc? I though about something
like kickstart, but the tftp64.img doesn't come up to a CentOS Linux
window -- just goes directly to where it starts loading drivers for the
SCSI drives, then waiting for the language location.

-- Michael

Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

Michael Worsham wrote:
Thanks for the site/URL. I downloaded the tftp64.img and was able to get
my SunFire V120 (UltraSPARC-IIe) to see the image and load it via my
CentOS 5 rarpd server.

However, I guess I am running into some sort of brick wall when it comes
to CentOS loading the correct NIC driver to assign an IP address to the
server. The V120's on-board network card is coming up as a eri0 and eri1
(Sun RIO 10/100 Ethernet [eri]).

If there a way to configure the command line via LOM interface it so it
loads the correct NIC driver, sets the ip, etc? I though about something
like kickstart, but the tftp64.img doesn't come up to a CentOS Linux
window -- just goes directly to where it starts loading drivers for the
SCSI drives, then waiting for the language location.

http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2008/03/01/network-booting-sparc-obp-machines#comments
first comment might interest you.

However, you will still need to work out what command you are going to
pass though with what values.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Michael Worsham

I took a look, but it seems a number of the comments have been cut-off:

i.e. 'boot net vnc vncconnect=192.168.1.50 ip=dhcp ksmethod=...'

Since it seems that the network card driver is failing, is it possible
to force load the Sun FastEthernet driver or at least boot to the Linux
screen where I can add in my own command line options?

-- Michael

Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
John Summerfield

Michael Worsham wrote:

I took a look, but it seems a number of the comments have been cut-off:

i.e. 'boot net vnc vncconnect=192.168.1.50 ip=dhcp ksmethod=...'

Read the source, Luke!
boot net vnc vncconnect=192.168.1.50 ip=dhcp
ksmethod=http://localrepo/centos/5/os/sparc/ lang=en_GB keymap=uk<

But, it needs to be fixed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Michael Worsham

I found that Ubuntu 8.04 has a build for Sparc. When I was loading it on
my SunFire V120, I saw this via the dmesg...

sungem.c:v0.98 8/24/03 David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
PCI: Enabling device: (0000:01:0c.1), cmd 146
PHY ID: 437421, addr: 1
eth0: Sun GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:03:ba:36:34:48
eth0: Found Generic MII PHY
PHY ID: 437421, addr: 1
eth1: Sun GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:03:ba:36:34:49
eth1: Found Generic MII PHY

So it seems the driver for the eri(x) NICs is the sungem. So, is it
possible to load this driver via the 'boot net linux...' upon a
netinstall for CentOS? Because right now this driver is not being
installed via the tftp64.img for Sparc builds.

-- Michael

Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Karanbir Singh

Michael Worsham wrote:

I took a look, but it seems a number of the comments have been cut-off:

i.e. 'boot net vnc vncconnect=192.168.1.50 ip=dhcp ksmethod=...'

Since it seems that the network card driver is failing, is it possible
to force load the Sun FastEthernet driver or at least boot to the Linux
screen where I can add in my own command line options?

I should have been clear'er. Was just pointing out how you might pass in
extra options to the installer for a net install. I wasent pointing out
any specific option.

Lets now see if we can now work out what options you need, or if there
might be a need for a driver disk.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Christoph Maser

Am Freitag, den 08.08.2008, 10:44 +0200 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
> Michael Worsham wrote:
> > Since it seems that the network card driver is failing, is it possible
> > to force load the Sun FastEthernet driver or at least boot to the Linux
> > screen where I can add in my own command line options?
>
> I should have been clear'er. Was just pointing out how you might pass in
> extra options to the installer for a net install. I wasent pointing out
> any specific option.
>
> Lets now see if we can now work out what options you need, or if there
> might be a need for a driver disk.

So what happend here? We have the same issue with a SunFire V125. Is
there any solution/workaround?

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach