Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Christoph Maser

Default Help offer on Sparc front

Am Dienstag, den 23.10.2007, 22:52 +0200 schrieb Hugo van der Kooij:

> Hi,
>
> I have just received a SunBlade150 which I would like to put to good
> use. I understand there is a Centos port underway for the Sparc line.
>
> If it is possible to trash the harddisk and fill it with the bare stuff
> to make it work I am willing to lend access to the system for developers
> and also do some things myself.
>
> I am not a programmer but I can spot the incidental error and maybe fix
> a typo or at least do my best to provide serious feedback in attempts to
> capture, reproduce and solve issues.
>
> If there is a basic kit somewhere to turn the former Solaris machine and
> set it on the road to Centos 5 I am willing to add my weight and push
> the cart along.
>
> Hugo.

Is there anything happening on the SPARC front? I too have some hardware
and time and would like to see a SPARC relase.
So anyone working on it and need help or can/shall I just start on my
own?

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach

Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Johnny Hughes

Christoph Maser wrote:

[...]

see:

http://sparc.centos.org/

That is very alpha and based on centos 5.1 code base.

If you can figure out why most GUI things fail that would be great

I am working on getting the 5.2 items done now

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Christoph Maser

Am Donnerstag, den 07.08.2008, 14:58 +0200 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
> see:
>
> http://sparc.centos.org/
>
> That is very alpha and based on centos 5.1 code base.
>
> If you can figure out why most GUI things fail that would be great
>
> I am working on getting the 5.2 items done now

I started working on sparc builds. Somehow i hardly can't build
anything. Even though i use --target=sparc some builds
require /lib64/libc.so.6. Is there any special gcc/glibc setup you used
for building?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Didi Hoffmann

On 8 Jan 2009, at 17:52, Christoph Maser wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 07.08.2008, 14:58 +0200 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
>> see:
>>
>> http://sparc.centos.org/
>>
>> That is very alpha and based on centos 5.1 code base.
>>
>> If you can figure out why most GUI things fail that would be great
>>
>> I am working on getting the 5.2 items done now
>>

> I started working on sparc builds. Somehow i hardly can't build
> anything. Even though i use --target=sparc some builds
> require /lib64/libc.so.6. Is there any special gcc/glibc setup you
> used
> for building?

Have you thought about bootstrapping the process. You could use an
linux distro that supports sparc and then build the binaries there.
Once you have a working system you can compile everything again to
eliminate the dependencies on the host system.

I suppose a chroot would be enough to get something decent quite
quickly.

I have always found it very hard to cross compile .

Cheers Didi

Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Christoph Maser

Am Freitag, den 09.01.2009, 06:00 +0100 schrieb Didi Hoffmann:
> Have you thought about bootstrapping the process. You could use an
> linux distro that supports sparc and then build the binaries there.
> Once you have a working system you can compile everything again to
> eliminate the dependencies on the host system.
>
> I suppose a chroot would be enough to get something decent quite
> quickly.
>
> I have always found it very hard to cross compile .
>
> Cheers Didi

I do use a sparc machine with a sparc OS (CentOS). Seem using -mcpu=v9
helps a lot.