FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Kenneth Porter
 
Default perl-devel package

I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS 5. I
knew it wouldn't be in the CentOS repos (although I checked anyway) so I
went looking in Fedora Rawhide and pulled down the SRPM I found there. I
attempted to build it and it failed due to a missing "perl-devel" package.
Some investigation indicates that somewhere in Fedora's history the headers
and development utilities in Perl got broken out into a separate
subpackage. It looks like this happened at 5.8.8-15.


This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out the
BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel and depends
on the existing perl package?

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default perl-devel package

Kenneth Porter wrote:
I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS 5. I
knew it wouldn't be in the CentOS repos (although I checked anyway) so I
went looking in Fedora Rawhide and pulled down the SRPM I found there. I
attempted to build it and it failed due to a missing "perl-devel"
package. Some investigation indicates that somewhere in Fedora's history
the headers and development utilities in Perl got broken out into a
separate subpackage. It looks like this happened at 5.8.8-15.


This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out the
BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel and
depends on the existing perl package?


change perl-devel to perl

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Charlie Brady
 
Default perl-devel package

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Kenneth Porter wrote:


I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS 5.

...
This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out the
BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel and depends on
the existing perl package?


I would just rpmbuild with --nodeps.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Manuel Wolfshant
 
Default perl-devel package

On 07/31/2008 12:02 AM, Charlie Brady wrote:


On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Kenneth Porter wrote:


I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS 5.

...
This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out
the BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel
and depends on the existing perl package?


I would just rpmbuild with --nodeps.
Wrong approach. Apply Johnny's advice. Or be polite and modify the spec
to distinguish between building on fedora >=7 or on Centos (RHEL).

Something along the following line should do:

%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires perl-devel
%else
BuildRequires perl
%endif


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Kenneth Porter
 
Default perl-devel package

--On Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:29 AM +0300 Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:



Wrong approach. Apply Johnny's advice. Or be polite and modify the spec
to distinguish between building on fedora >=7 or on Centos (RHEL).
Something along the following line should do:

%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires perl-devel
%else
BuildRequires perl
%endif


That almost works. The spec parser didn't like the leading white space on
BuildRequires, and it's missing the colon. The following seems to work:


%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires: perl-devel >= 2:5.8.0
%else
BuildRequires: perl >= 2:5.8.0
%endif



_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Dag Wieers
 
Default perl-devel package

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Kenneth Porter wrote:

--On Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:29 AM +0300 Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:



Wrong approach. Apply Johnny's advice. Or be polite and modify the spec
to distinguish between building on fedora >=7 or on Centos (RHEL).
Something along the following line should do:

%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires perl-devel
%else
BuildRequires perl
%endif


That almost works. The spec parser didn't like the leading white space on
BuildRequires, and it's missing the colon. The following seems to work:


%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires: perl-devel >= 2:5.8.0
%else
BuildRequires: perl >= 2:5.8.0
%endif


Since the subversion people never report releases on freshmeat, I often
find out that a new release is made by people informing me, or by accident
(like now).


I have updated my subversion package to 1.5.1. But only on EL5, for EL4
and older there is a problem with libneon (and SSL functionality). You
should be able to pull it from RPMforge tomorrow during the day.


Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@centos.org, http://dag.wieers.com/ --
[Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Kenneth Porter
 
Default perl-devel package

--On Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:48 AM +0200 Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org>
wrote:



Since the subversion people never report releases on freshmeat, I often
find out that a new release is made by people informing me, or by
accident (like now).


Why not subscribe to subversion-announce?

<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList>


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Dag Wieers
 
Default perl-devel package

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Kenneth Porter wrote:


--On Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:48 AM +0200 Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org> wrote:


Since the subversion people never report releases on freshmeat, I often
find out that a new release is made by people informing me, or by
accident (like now).


Why not subscribe to subversion-announce?

<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList>


Because it would be hell to track 4000 other projects like that. Freshmeat
is a good centralised system to track new releases of Open Source
software. It would be nice of they used it as well.


Besides, anyone can report a new release so it does not necessarily need
to be done by the subversion release team (although that would be ideal).


Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@centos.org, http://dag.wieers.com/ --
[Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Kenneth Porter
 
Default perl-devel package

--On Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:42 PM +0200 Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org>
wrote:



Because it would be hell to track 4000 other projects like that.
Freshmeat is a good centralised system to track new releases of Open
Source software. It would be nice of they used it as well.

Besides, anyone can report a new release so it does not necessarily need
to be done by the subversion release team (although that would be ideal).


Interesting. I'd always thought Freshmeat was a hosting site, not an index.
I'll post to subversion-devel to let them know they need to post an update.

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Kenneth Porter
 
Default perl-devel package

On Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:29 AM +0300 Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:



Wrong approach. Apply Johnny's advice. Or be polite and modify the spec
to distinguish between building on fedora >=7 or on Centos (RHEL).
Something along the following line should do:

%if 0%{?fedora} > 6
BuildRequires perl-devel
%else
BuildRequires perl
%endif


I supplied this as a proposed patch to Rawhide and was told that:


Raw Hide spec files are not designed to be built on any distro other than
Raw Hide; you need to fork the spec and keep distro-specific hacks in the
fork.


<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=457334>
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org