Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

Default Distro Theming

Hi guys,

What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
CentOS distro ?

Take a look at: http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/DistroDesign/modern-CentOS

I would like to collect comments of people how really know what things
must be changed, dimensions, CentOS Look and Feel, and stuff like
that, in order to focus the actions over what is really needed.

Here we propose:
1. Anaconda new designs (slides, splash, etc).
1. A Wallpaper
1. A LoginScreen
1. A GRUB Boot Image.

I would like to build that page like a Template with useful
information about the CentOS key elements that need to be changed, and
how they could be changed (note that some elements like rhgb need
modifications on a file splash.c that a "find / -iname splash.c"
did'nt find, maybe that's on my pc only). Also how could we test an
anaconda new design ? to make fixes and adjustments.

Anything else you consider useful is welcome.

This initial work is based on:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview

Cheers,
al.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
> CentOS distro ?
>
> Take a look at: http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/DistroDesign/modern-CentOS
>
> I would like to collect comments of people how really know what things
> must be changed, dimensions, CentOS Look and Feel, and stuff like
> that, in order to focus the actions over what is really needed.
>
> Here we propose:
> 1. Anaconda new designs (slides, splash, etc).
> 1. A Wallpaper
> 1. A LoginScreen
> 1. A GRUB Boot Image.
>
> I would like to build that page like a Template with useful
> information about the CentOS key elements that need to be changed, and
> how they could be changed (note that some elements like rhgb need
> modifications on a file splash.c that a "find / -iname splash.c"
> did'nt find, maybe that's on my pc only). Also how could we test an
> anaconda new design ? to make fixes and adjustments.
>
> Anything else you consider useful is welcome.
>
> This initial work is based on:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview

This looks very good :-) Great work. I would not mind to see this go into 5.3.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Bob Pierce

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 15:43 -0400, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
> CentOS distro ?

Wow! I really like these images. Great Work!
I would vote to include them in 5.3 - I wish I had them already.

Very nice.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Brandon Davidson

Bob Pierce wrote:

What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
CentOS distro ?

Wow! I really like these images. Great Work!
I would vote to include them in 5.3 - I wish I had them already.

I second that - if you gave me an RPM I'd install it now

-Brandon

Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
mkn0014

Brandon Davidson wrote:

Bob Pierce wrote:

What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
CentOS distro ?

Wow! I really like these images. Great Work!
I would vote to include them in 5.3 - I wish I had them already.

I second that - if you gave me an RPM I'd install it now

-Brandon

Nice work Alain.

An idea, what about creating a app/script that can add the hostname to
the splash screen ?

/Mats

Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

Hi guys,

What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
CentOS distro ?

Take a look at: http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/DistroDesign/modern-CentOS
<snip>

Nice work Alain (as always ;-) ) ..
The only that i (personally) find a little bit 'too heavy' is the GDM
one ... I'd prefer something smoother , in the idea of the actual GDM
wallpaper included in the actual release.

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> I would like to collect comments of people how really know what things
> must be changed, dimensions, CentOS Look and Feel, and stuff like
> that, in order to focus the actions over what is really needed.

Nice work, especially on the slides. Do you have a way to automate slide
rendering? Like "give it a preformatted text and it will put that into
the slide"?

Because one of the things we want to have for 5.3 are updated slides -
this came too late for this release cycle. And that would mean 10
or more slides per language - I don't think you'd want to draw all those
by hand >

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 15:43 -0400, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What do you think of adding some of modern-CentOS design into our
> CentOS distro ?
>
> Take a look at: http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/DistroDesign/modern-CentOS
>
> I would like to collect comments of people how really know what things
> must be changed, dimensions, CentOS Look and Feel, and stuff like
> that, in order to focus the actions over what is really needed.

I really like the idea and the designs, *but* (you knew that was coming,
right? :P ) I don't like the color.

Color is one of the strongest branding mechanisms there is. CentOS in
the past has used aqua/light blue on login screens, splash screens, and
so on. I think changing to dark blue is a bad idea. It's like seeing the
IBM logo in green; it's "just not" IBM anymore.

I'm not saying that we have to use the same blue that we have in the
past, but certainly we should stick to the same general "area".

Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Bob Pierce

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 05:12 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> I really like the idea and the designs, *but* (you knew that was
> coming, right? :P ) I don't like the color.

I prefer the new colour. I think it gives the distro a fresher, stronger
look. I believe the colour is similar to the colours used for the banner
at the top of the wiki. For me, the aqua and light blue colours of
previous versions always looked kind of weak.

Bob

Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 6/26/08, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>> I would like to collect comments of people how really know what things
>> must be changed, dimensions, CentOS Look and Feel, and stuff like
>> that, in order to focus the actions over what is really needed.
>
> Nice work, especially on the slides. Do you have a way to automate slide
> rendering? Like "give it a preformatted text and it will put that into
> the slide"?

mmm ... this seems to be an interesting task , doesn't it ?.

Actually we have something at:
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/DistroDesign/AutomateSlideRendering

Could you (or someone else) test what we have there ? and give some
feedback about it. Actually the process is for 01-centos5-welcome.png
slide only and for just a few languages. The rest will be included
soon.

Cheers,
al.