Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default yum and fastestmirror

Can anyone think of a good reason why we should not make fastestmirror a
direct dep for yum ? Its something that is well worth having and in
90%[1] of the cases, it will improve the user experience.

- KB

[1] Number pulled out of thin air - I have no facts or numbers to back
that up.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
"Michael Simpson"

On 6/12/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Can anyone think of a good reason why we should not make fastestmirror a
> direct dep for yum ? Its something that is well worth having and in 90%[1]
> of the cases, it will improve the user experience.
>
> - KB
>
> [1] Number pulled out of thin air - I have no facts or numbers to back that
> up.

nope
would save me once less configuration step on every new install

mike

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Johnny Hughes

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Can anyone think of a good reason why we should not make fastestmirror a
direct dep for yum ? Its something that is well worth having and in
90%[1] of the cases, it will improve the user experience.

- KB

[1] Number pulled out of thin air - I have no facts or numbers to back
that up.

I have no problem with it, since if you have only one mirror listed with
"baseurl=" it works fine too.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

would save me once less configuration step on every new install
Seconded.

Alan.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Les Mikesell

Michael Simpson wrote:

Can anyone think of a good reason why we should not make fastestmirror a
direct dep for yum ? Its something that is well worth having and in 90%[1]
of the cases, it will improve the user experience.

- KB

[1] Number pulled out of thin air - I have no facts or numbers to back that
up.

nope
would save me once less configuration step on every new install

Likewise for yum-downloadonly. I nearly always run updates with the
--downloadonly option unattended, then baby-sit the actual update which
happens quickly with everything already cached.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM