Old 06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Ned Slider

Default yum and fastestmirror

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

would save me once less configuration step on every new install

Likewise for yum-downloadonly.

I think that it's worth asking the more general question: if the plugins
don't modify at all (like downloadonly) or only make better (like
fastestmirror) the behaviour of yum, shouldn't they be in by default ?

Absolutely, its a discussion worth having.

However, for the sake of 5.2, i think we'll just go with the
fastestmirror added in.

Maybe we can work out a list of the others that are recommended by the
users, and decide on those for the future ?

- KB

How about Priorities preconfigured too?

Then maybe external repos like RPMForge's RPM for CentOS could come
preconfigured with priorities=x already set to compliment the core
CentOS repos and not overwrite base packages.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:

How about Priorities preconfigured too?

Then maybe external repos like RPMForge's RPM for CentOS could come
preconfigured with priorities=x already set to compliment the core
CentOS repos and not overwrite base packages.

that would be, imho, too dramatic a change in expected yum behavior to
push in during the release cycle. its something you should make a note
of and bring up when we are beta testing c6 for sure.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
"Wojciech Pilorz"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Jason_Meers
<jason_meers@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Alan Bartlett wrote:
>
> Third'eded ;-)
>
> I would love to see fastestmirror (along with skip-broken) automatically
> included, however we should probably mention in the release notes that if
> you share kickstart files between upstream and CentOS (as I do), you will
> receive a warning box on screen during the automated installing you that the
> "yum-fastestmirror" is not a recognised package "would you like to skip it
> and continue, or cancel the installation?", which breaks the un-attended
> nature of an un-attended install.
>
> I still think it should be included, but mentioned in the release notes.
>
> Jason_Meers
yum-fastestmirror does not work behind some restrictive (oppresive?) firewall
configuration.
Also, at least some time ago, fastestmirror was very address-space hungry,
and caused yum to die if ulimit on address-space or stack-spaceset
set to anything below 1Gig or more (well, that was on fedora
with a very long list of mirrors, and fastestmirror created
a large number of thread, perhaps one for a mirror).

I would second that mentioning in release notes is needed.

Wojtek

Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Karanbir Singh

Wojciech Pilorz wrote:

yum-fastestmirror does not work behind some restrictive (oppresive?) firewall
configuration.

if yum itself is able to make http/ftp connects to a remote host, I dont
see why yum-fastestmirror might have an issue, can you provide some
specifics about what broke and how ?

Also, at least some time ago, fastestmirror was very address-space hungry,
and caused yum to die if ulimit on address-space or stack-spaceset
set to anything below 1Gig or more (well, that was on fedora
with a very long list of mirrors, and fastestmirror created
a large number of thread, perhaps one for a mirror).

Well, this isnt Fedora. So if you have an issue on CentOS with something
similar its worth looking at.

I would second that mentioning in release notes is needed.

Thats on the wiki, so feel free to add it there Although I'd imagine
there is already something there about yum and the fact that it now
depends on yum-fastestmirror.

- KB

Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
"Wojciech Pilorz"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Wojciech Pilorz wrote:
>>
>> yum-fastestmirror does not work behind some restrictive (oppresive?)
>> firewall
>> configuration.
>
> if yum itself is able to make http/ftp connects to a remote host, I dont see
> why yum-fastestmirror might have an issue, can you provide some specifics
> about what broke and how ?

I have an environment where access to Internet is filtered, and only allowed
through a squid proxy (and DNS queries only to a local DNS server).
yum needs proxy line in config file to work at all.

If I run yum-fastestmirror in such environment, /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
contains 99999999999 in each entry (as direct connect to remote site
always fails).
So yum still does work, just the timing information is useless.

>> Also, at least some time ago, fastestmirror was very address-space hungry,
>> and caused yum to die if ulimit on address-space or stack-spaceset
>> set to anything below 1Gig or more (well, that was on fedora
>> with a very long list of mirrors, and fastestmirror created
>> a large number of thread, perhaps one for a mirror).
>
> Well, this isnt Fedora. So if you have an issue on CentOS with something
> similar its worth looking at.

Fedora had at some moment over 100 mirrors in mirrorlist returned
to yum. So when yum-fastestmirror decided it needs to create /
recreate timedhosts file,
it started that many threads at once, each allocating some 15 MB of stack
space, IIRC.
It seems CentOS mirrorlist returned to yum contains not more than 10-15
entries, so this should not be a problem (if the number of mirrors
yum gets is always that low on CentOS).

Thank you,

Wojtek

Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Karanbir Singh

Wojciech Pilorz wrote:

If I run yum-fastestmirror in such environment, /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
contains 99999999999 in each entry (as direct connect to remote site
always fails).
So yum still does work, just the timing information is useless.

This is interesting, so fastest mirror is unable to connect to a remote
host where yum itself is able to connect to the same machine with no
change in proxy knowledge ?

Is that what you are saying here. If so, I'd really like to look into this.

It seems CentOS mirrorlist returned to yum contains not more than 10-15
entries, so this should not be a problem (if the number of mirrors
yum gets is always that low on CentOS).

The centos mirrorlist side will try and give you a small set of mirrors,
all of which should work for your given IP.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:52 PM
"Wojciech Pilorz"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Wojciech Pilorz wrote:
>>
>> If I run yum-fastestmirror in such environment,
>> /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
>> contains 99999999999 in each entry (as direct connect to remote site
>> always fails).
>> So yum still does work, just the timing information is useless.
>
> This is interesting, so fastest mirror is unable to connect to a remote host
> where yum itself is able to connect to the same machine with no change in
> proxy knowledge ?
>
> Is that what you are saying here. If so, I'd really like to look into this.
Yes. It seems fastestmirror tries to just open connection to the host machine,
without using proxy protocol , while yum connects to the proxy server
as proxy config lines defines.
And the firewall does not allow direct connections to the outside world.

>> It seems CentOS mirrorlist returned to yum contains not more than 10-15
>> entries, so this should not be a problem (if the number of mirrors
>> yum gets is always that low on CentOS).
>
> The centos mirrorlist side will try and give you a small set of mirrors,
> all of which should work for your given IP.

That is very cool!

Best regards,

Wojtek

Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Johnny Hughes

Wojciech Pilorz wrote:

yum-fastestmirror does not work behind some restrictive (oppresive?)
firewall
configuration.

if yum itself is able to make http/ftp connects to a remote host, I dont see
why yum-fastestmirror might have an issue, can you provide some specifics
about what broke and how ?

I have an environment where access to Internet is filtered, and only allowed
through a squid proxy (and DNS queries only to a local DNS server).
yum needs proxy line in config file to work at all.

If I run yum-fastestmirror in such environment, /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
contains 99999999999 in each entry (as direct connect to remote site
always fails).
So yum still does work, just the timing information is useless.

right ... and we are going to look at that. But, in that case, all the
mirrors have the same time. This means that the "yum selection method"
that is called out in the config file (random or in order) will be used
as if you did not have fastestmirror installed.

<snip>

Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 PM
"Wojciech Pilorz"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> Wojciech Pilorz wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
>> wrote:

>>> if yum itself is able to make http/ftp connects to a remote host, I dont
>>> see
>>> why yum-fastestmirror might have an issue, can you provide some specifics
>>> about what broke and how ?
>>>

>> I have an environment where access to Internet is filtered, and only
>> allowed
>> through a squid proxy (and DNS queries only to a local DNS server).
>> yum needs proxy line in config file to work at all.
>>
>> If I run yum-fastestmirror in such environment,
>> /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
>> contains 99999999999 in each entry (as direct connect to remote site
>> always fails).
>> So yum still does work, just the timing information is useless.
>>

> right ... and we are going to look at that. But, in that case, all the
> mirrors have the same time. This means that the "yum selection method" that
> is called out in the config file (random or in order) will be used as if you
> did not have fastestmirror installed.

As a workaround for fastestmirror problems, I used to copy timedhosts.txt file
from another machine with similar connectivity and authorised to have
direct connections to mirror sites.
Then I had to touch it periodically to avoid recreating with useless contents
by fastestmirror on affected machine.

Wojtek