-   -   aur and systemd service files (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/712195-aur-systemd-service-files.html)

skydrome 10-14-2012 03:11 AM

aur and systemd service files

Im not sure if this has been asked/answered yet as i couldnt find a
previous question.

When installing service files in aur packages, even if the service file
hasnt changed the user will be met with "Unit file foo changed, it is
recommended to run systemctl daemon-reload".

The question is would it be recommended to do this automatically in
post_upgrade()?

Ike Devolder 10-14-2012 08:24 AM

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 03:11:51AM +0000, skydrome wrote:
> Im not sure if this has been asked/answered yet as i couldnt find a previous
> question.
>
> When installing service files in aur packages, even if the service file
> hasnt changed the user will be met with "Unit file foo changed, it is
> recommended to run systemctl daemon-reload".
>
> The question is would it be recommended to do this automatically in
> post_upgrade()?

you could do this in post_upgrade, but i personally would leave the
option to the user if he/she restarts the service.

--
Ike

Sven-Hendrik Haase 10-14-2012 10:47 AM

On 14.10.2012 05:11, skydrome wrote:
> Im not sure if this has been asked/answered yet as i couldnt find a
> previous question.
>
> When installing service files in aur packages, even if the service
> file hasnt changed the user will be met with "Unit file foo changed,
> it is recommended to run systemctl daemon-reload".
>
> The question is would it be recommended to do this automatically in
> post_upgrade()?

In Arch we never restart daemons automatically for the user after
package installation and that's the way the users expect it to be. Let's
keep it that way.