Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Tianjiao Yin

Default make pacman case-insensitive.

Hello, all:

When we run "pacman -S Firefox", we will get "error: target not found:
Firefox" because there is only firefox, not Firefox, in repo. IMHO it
could be better if pacman is case insensitive.

Regards,
Mizuchi

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Tianjiao Yin <ytj000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> When we run "pacman -S Firefox", we will get "error: target not found:
> Firefox" because there is only firefox, not Firefox, in repo. IMHO it
> could be better if pacman is case insensitive.
>
> Regards,
> Mizuchi

Wrong list, it has nothing to do with AUR. Try posting to pacman-dev.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 08:43:53PM +0800, Tianjiao Yin wrote:
>> Hello, all:
>>
>> When we run "pacman -S Firefox", we will get "error: target not found:
>> Firefox" because there is only firefox, not Firefox, in repo. IMHO it
>> could be better if pacman is case insensitive.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mizuchi
>
> Pardon? This is already the case:

Are you sure?

$ sudo pacman -S Firefox
error: target not found: Firefox
$ type -a pacman
pacman is /usr/bin/pacman

Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Alexandre Ferrando

On 12 October 2012 14:59, Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 08:43:53PM +0800, Tianjiao Yin wrote:
>>> Hello, all:
>>>
>>> When we run "pacman -S Firefox", we will get "error: target not found:
>>> Firefox" because there is only firefox, not Firefox, in repo. IMHO it
>>> could be better if pacman is case insensitive.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mizuchi
>>
>> Pardon? This is already the case:
>
> Are you sure?
>
> $ sudo pacman -S Firefox
> error: target not found: Firefox
> $ type -a pacman
> pacman is /usr/bin/pacman

pacman -Ss seems to be case insensitive, however -S, -Q aren't

Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
nobody44

Hello,

Try
pacman -R FIREFOX
and
pacman -R firefox

In this case, it is case sensitive.

But:
pacman -Ss FIREFOX
This is case-insensitive.

Please do not make pacman -S(R) case-insensitive. I don't like the idea,
because the next "feature" would be case-insensitive paths.

nobody44