FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux User Repository

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2012, 10:51 PM
"Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen"
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

'Lo all.

I'd like to request the merging of teamspeak3[1] and teamspeak[2].

teamspeak3 is by far the older of the two, and both of them seem to not
have updated to 3.0.8.1. (I'm using teamspeak3 which definitely hasn't.)


teamspeak's PKGBUILD carries a lot of similarities with the one from
teamspeak3. A few more than I would think is co-incidental.


However, I do think the "teamspeak" namespace is more fitting, as it is
the latest version of "TeamSpeak", and if people still need v3 when
version 4 comes around, they can always fork it out and make a (new)
teamspeak3. But I'm really pretty indifferent about this.


Additionally, the maintainer of teamspeak3 appears to have gone AWOL.
I've sent them an e-mail just today, so I'll wait another two weeks to
request orphaning it, but as you can tell, there have been comments
asking about it for some time.


I'm not sure what the right path of action is in this situation, but I
trust you all to do The Right Thing(tm).


[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33023
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61431

--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Ike Devolder
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

Op maandag 17 september 2012 00:51:56 schreef Frederik Freso S. Olesen:
> 'Lo all.
>
> I'd like to request the merging of teamspeak3[1] and teamspeak[2].
>
> teamspeak3 is by far the older of the two, and both of them seem to not
> have updated to 3.0.8.1. (I'm using teamspeak3 which definitely hasn't.)
>
> teamspeak's PKGBUILD carries a lot of similarities with the one from
> teamspeak3. A few more than I would think is co-incidental.
>
> However, I do think the "teamspeak" namespace is more fitting, as it is
> the latest version of "TeamSpeak", and if people still need v3 when
> version 4 comes around, they can always fork it out and make a (new)
> teamspeak3. But I'm really pretty indifferent about this.
>
> Additionally, the maintainer of teamspeak3 appears to have gone AWOL.
> I've sent them an e-mail just today, so I'll wait another two weeks to
> request orphaning it, but as you can tell, there have been comments
> asking about it for some time.
>
> I'm not sure what the right path of action is in this situation, but I
> trust you all to do The Right Thing(tm).
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33023
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61431

Hi,

since you are not the maintainer of either of these packages i would like to
see an agreement of both maintainers.

so jwbirdsong and Sabaku, do you agree with a merge, and agree who will
maintain this merged package. and please reply to the mailinglist.

--Ike
 
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 AM
"Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen"
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

Den 17-09-2012 07:07, Ike Devolder skrev:

Op maandag 17 september 2012 00:51:56 schreef Frederik Freso S. Olesen:

I'd like to request the merging of teamspeak3[1] and teamspeak[2].


<zip>


[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33023
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61431


since you are not the maintainer of either of these packages i would like to
see an agreement of both maintainers.

so jwbirdsong and Sabaku, do you agree with a merge, and agree who will
maintain this merged package. and please reply to the mailinglist.


jwbirdsong has returned, somewhat, and updated his package. It's been
almost a month since this mail was sent out, and, to my knowledge,
neither of the two replied to the merge inquiry. How to proceed from here?


I'd say that teamspeak3 is the more mature and well-maintained of the
two, so merging teamspeak into that would work. I still personally
believe that "teamspeak" is the better namespace though, as long as
teamspeak3 is the latest version of TeamSpeak.


--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>
 
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Ike Devolder
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 07:02:59AM +0200, Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen wrote:
> Den 17-09-2012 07:07, Ike Devolder skrev:
> >Op maandag 17 september 2012 00:51:56 schreef Frederik Freso S. Olesen:
> >>I'd like to request the merging of teamspeak3[1] and teamspeak[2].
> >>
> <zip>
> >>
> >>[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33023
> >>[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61431
> >
> >since you are not the maintainer of either of these packages i would like to
> >see an agreement of both maintainers.
> >
> >so jwbirdsong and Sabaku, do you agree with a merge, and agree who will
> >maintain this merged package. and please reply to the mailinglist.
>
> jwbirdsong has returned, somewhat, and updated his package. It's been almost
> a month since this mail was sent out, and, to my knowledge, neither of the
> two replied to the merge inquiry. How to proceed from here?
>
> I'd say that teamspeak3 is the more mature and well-maintained of the two,
> so merging teamspeak into that would work. I still personally believe that
> "teamspeak" is the better namespace though, as long as teamspeak3 is the
> latest version of TeamSpeak.
>
> --
> Namasté,
> Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>

i'll mail both maintainers personally and see how to proceed

thx

--
Ike
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Malte Rabenseifner
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

On 14.10.2012 10:21, Ike Devolder wrote:

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 07:02:59AM +0200, Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen wrote:

Den 17-09-2012 07:07, Ike Devolder skrev:

Op maandag 17 september 2012 00:51:56 schreef Frederik Freso S. Olesen:

I'd like to request the merging of teamspeak3[1] and teamspeak[2].


<zip>


[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33023
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61431


since you are not the maintainer of either of these packages i would like to
see an agreement of both maintainers.

so jwbirdsong and Sabaku, do you agree with a merge, and agree who will
maintain this merged package. and please reply to the mailinglist.


jwbirdsong has returned, somewhat, and updated his package. It's been almost
a month since this mail was sent out, and, to my knowledge, neither of the
two replied to the merge inquiry. How to proceed from here?

I'd say that teamspeak3 is the more mature and well-maintained of the two,
so merging teamspeak into that would work. I still personally believe that
"teamspeak" is the better namespace though, as long as teamspeak3 is the
latest version of TeamSpeak.

--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>


i'll mail both maintainers personally and see how to proceed

thx



Hi,

I am the maintainer of "teamspeak3-server". As upstream uses
"teamspeak3*" or "ts3*" in most of the file- and pathnames I would like
to keep "teamspeak3-server". Maybe that would be a point to have
"teamspeak3" as client package for unity.
However I see no reason to stick with "teamspeak3-server" if nuking the
3 is what is decided here. Just post the result here. =)


--
Malte Rabenseifner
mail@malte-rabenseifner.de
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Slash
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

I'm the original creator of the TS2 and TS3 PKGBUILDs. The reason they are
numbered like that (rather than just a "teamspeak" package) is because TS3
was a complete rewrite from TS2. The magnitude of the rewrite was
significant enough that people still preferred or, for whatever reason, had
to continue using TS2. It's almost like a completely different program, not
a simple version bump. There was also a long period of time where the TS3
package was beta, so it didn't make sense to make it the de-facto
"teamspeak" package. That being said, at this point, the TS3 package should
probably just be called "teamspeak".

However, the creation of the "teamspeak" PKGBUILD was inappropriate. Sabaku
should have requested ownership of "teamspeak3", then moved/renamed it to
"teamspeak" so two different people aren't maintaining the same software. I
believe the package naming scheme is a secondary matter. Users shouldn't be
willingly duplicating effort like this ("teamspeak" is a copy of
"teamspeak3" with modifications, so ignorance cannot be claimed). We should
not be encouraging users to simply clone current PKGBUILDs under a
different name because they think it's named wrong. They should open up a
discussion on the current package and work it out with the current
maintainer. "teamspeak" (the copy) should be deleted from the AUR and the
exact naming scheme can be figured out by whoever is left and able to
maintain the PKGBUILDs.

Thanks,

Slash
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Ike Devolder
 
Default Merge request: teamspeak/teamspeak3

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 02:31:25PM -0400, Slash wrote:
> I'm the original creator of the TS2 and TS3 PKGBUILDs. The reason they are
> numbered like that (rather than just a "teamspeak" package) is because TS3
> was a complete rewrite from TS2. The magnitude of the rewrite was
> significant enough that people still preferred or, for whatever reason, had
> to continue using TS2. It's almost like a completely different program, not
> a simple version bump. There was also a long period of time where the TS3
> package was beta, so it didn't make sense to make it the de-facto
> "teamspeak" package. That being said, at this point, the TS3 package should
> probably just be called "teamspeak".
>
> However, the creation of the "teamspeak" PKGBUILD was inappropriate. Sabaku
> should have requested ownership of "teamspeak3", then moved/renamed it to
> "teamspeak" so two different people aren't maintaining the same software. I
> believe the package naming scheme is a secondary matter. Users shouldn't be
> willingly duplicating effort like this ("teamspeak" is a copy of
> "teamspeak3" with modifications, so ignorance cannot be claimed). We should
> not be encouraging users to simply clone current PKGBUILDs under a
> different name because they think it's named wrong. They should open up a
> discussion on the current package and work it out with the current
> maintainer. "teamspeak" (the copy) should be deleted from the AUR and the
> exact naming scheme can be figured out by whoever is left and able to
> maintain the PKGBUILDs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Slash

Both maintainers have been mailed by me personally, if no response comes
from both maintainers within a week time i'll decide to merge teamspeak
into teamspeak3 and leave the maintainer as is, if both reply to me and
agree who will maintain the package (teamspeak3) it will be so.

--
Ike
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org