Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Jonathan Steel

Default TU Application - Jonathan Steel

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:27:46PM +0200, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Jonathan Steel <mail@jsteel.org> wrote:
> > I use i686, x86_64 and arm architectures. I enjoy using my 10 year old
> > laptop as much as my 2 year old desktop, so I tend to avoid software bloat
> > so I can run the same setup on all my hardware (don't drop i686 support!).
> > I enjoy trying out and hacking tiling window managers.
>
> Short questions. No troll needed.
>
> - What is your opinion on official arm support in Archlinux and AUR?

This is difficult. I would like to see arm as an official architecture, but I
do not know how feasible that would be! Until it is officially supported I
don't think maintainers (in the AUR) should add it in their PKGBUILDs. It's
not hard for arm users to add the arch manually, and that may work in some (or
most?) cases. Maybe there should be a section in the forum (or Arch ARM forum,
if there isn't already) for people trying to get packages working on arm. I
imagine a lot of maintainers do not have an arm to test, so it's a bit much
to ask them to blindly support it.

> - What do you think of our switch to systemd?

I think it is a good thing. The only problem I see is change in the way we
configure a few things, but we are competent users who can learn something new;
sorry to those who do not like change, or do not like systemd. While I think
some of the configuration is a little more complicated that it needs to be, I
think the switch is adhering to the Arch Way "code-correctness over
convenience"; in that initscripts is a bit of a hack that is hard to maintain
(from what I hear).

> - Which tiling window managers you use?

xmonad and spectrwm/scrotrwm are my favourite. I also tried monsterwm recently
and that looks nice. I like playing with dwm, but I never end up using it for
long. Most often I'm just using terminal stuff so sit in tmux and tile that,
often just inside openbox which plays nicely with GUI stuff on another
workspace.

Jonathan

Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase