Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Martin Cigorraga

Default My first PKGBUILD, need some guidance

Hi!
I'm creating my first PKGBUILD for Zeya, a nice app that lets you play your
local music from any browser without any extra plugin(s) and I'm a bit
disoriented about how to handle its installation.
Unlike most application Zeya does not need to be compiled to run, just run
it's main Python file and that's all, so, how should I proceed? I think
about copying the whole directory structure after cloning it to
/usr/bin/zeya-git and then create a symlink to the executable to
/usr/bin/zeya but I'm not sure if this is the right procedure.
So far this is how the PKGBUILD is being shaped:

# Submitter: Martin C. msx@archlinux.us
pkgname=zeya-git
pkgver=0.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Bring your music anywhere"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://web.psung.name/zeya/"
license=('GPL3')
depends=('python2' 'fastoggenc')
makedepends=('git' 'python2')
optdepends=('mpg123: for decoding MP3 files'
'flac: for decoding FLAC files')
conflicts=('zeya')
_gitroot="http://web.psung.name/git/zeya.git"
_gitname="zeya"

build() {
cd "$srcdir"
msg "Connecting to GIT server...."

if [[ -d "$_gitname" ]]; then
cd "$_gitname" && git pull origin
msg "The local files are updated."
else
git clone "$_gitroot" "$_gitname"
fi

msg "GIT checkout done or server timeout"
msg "Starting build..."

rm -rf "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
git clone "$srcdir/$_gitname" "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
cd "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
}

package() {

}

I think I can put all the instructions to create the directory under
/usr/bin and to copy all the needed files in the package() section butI'm
unsure about it.
As you see this is a very basic question - for a very basic package.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

--
-msx

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM
"Stefan J. Betz"

Am 2012-08-14 04:03:28 -0300, Martin Cigorraga schrieb:
> Unlike most application Zeya does not need to be compiled to run, just run
> it's main Python file and that's all, so, how should I proceed?

/usr/bin is only for executables, scripts... not for any Data files.

Most Python applications provide a setup.py for installation, zeya doesn't.
:-/

A possible way:
Move required files (not the wohl git clone) to /usr/share/zeya and symlink
from /usr/bin/zeya to /usr/share/zeya/zeya.py. Keep in mind that zeya.py must
use the right python Version (python2 or python3).

Greetings
Stefan Betz
--
GPG : E188 933B BC00 723A 9DB0 0CD3 1398 E68B 6F33 567E
XMPP: stefan@jabber.stefan-betz.net

Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Martin Cigorraga

On 14 August 2012 04:13, Stefan J. Betz <info@stefan-betz.net> wrote:

> Am 2012-08-14 04:03:28 -0300, Martin Cigorraga schrieb:
> > Unlike most application Zeya does not need to be compiled to run, just
> run
> > it's main Python file and that's all, so, how should I proceed?
>
> /usr/bin is only for executables, scripts... not for any Data files.

Understood.

> A possible way:
> Move required files (not the wohl git clone) to /usr/share/zeya and symlink
> from /usr/bin/zeya to /usr/share/zeya/zeya.py. Keep in mind that zeya.py
> must

Excelent, I had this in mind but I were not sure where to put the data
files - not the full git clone, of course.

> use the right python Version (python2 or python3).

I already have the needed sed to change every #!/usr/bin/python for our
#!/usr/bin/python2

> Greetings
> Stefan Betz

Thank you very much!

--
-msx

Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Kwpolska

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Martin Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On 14 August 2012 04:13, Stefan J. Betz <info@stefan-betz.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 2012-08-14 04:03:28 -0300, Martin Cigorraga schrieb:
>> > Unlike most application Zeya does not need to be compiled to run, just
>> run
>> > it's main Python file and that's all, so, how should I proceed?
>>
>> /usr/bin is only for executables, scripts... not for any Data files.
>>

> Understood.
>

>> A possible way:
>> Move required files (not the wohl git clone) to /usr/share/zeya and symlink
>> from /usr/bin/zeya to /usr/share/zeya/zeya.py. Keep in mind that zeya.py
>> must
>>

> Excelent, I had this in mind but I were not sure where to put the data
> files - not the full git clone, of course.
>

>> use the right python Version (python2 or python3).
>>

> I already have the needed sed to change every #!/usr/bin/python for our
> #!/usr/bin/python2
>

>> Greetings
>> Stefan Betz
>>

> Thank you very much!
>

> --
> -msx

I suggest taking a look at the [Ubuntu package][0], or, if you can
read the messy Debian package creation stuff, [the messy Debian
package creation stuff][1]. In a nutshell: /usr/bin/zeya = zeya.py
file, everything else in /usr/share/zeya. Mind you, this is NOT the
Pythonic way of doing that, and the maintainer is an idiot. A regular
python package would use /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/zeya/,
containing all the .py files, and /usr/bin/zeya, which just imports
the python module and runs it. I suggest telling the maintainer to do
it right, including a setup.py file. This idiot uses Launchpad and
self-hosted stuff, so it’s nothing weird that it sucks so bad.

[0]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/zeya
[1]: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/zeya/0.6-1/+files/zeya_0.6-1.debian.tar.gz
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail | always bottom-post

Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Martin Cigorraga

Hi!

On 14 August 2012 07:48, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest taking a look at the [Ubuntu package][0], or, if you can
> read the messy Debian package creation stuff,

Yeah, I agree it sucks.

> [the messy Debian
> package creation stuff][1]. In a nutshell: /usr/bin/zeya = zeya.py
> file, everything else in /usr/share/zeya. Mind you, this is NOT the
> Pythonic way of doing that, and the maintainer is an idiot. A regular
> python package would use /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/zeya/,
> containing all the .py files, and /usr/bin/zeya, which just imports
> the python module and runs it.

I'm not a Python coder so this is good to know, thanks.

> I suggest telling the maintainer to do
> it right, including a setup.py file. This idiot uses Launchpad and
> self-hosted stuff, so it’s nothing weird that it sucks so bad.

Well, once I have a quality PKGBUILD I will try to contact him and tell him
about his packaging errors.
If you don't mind, I'll try a nicer approach, lol

> [0]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/zeya
> [1]:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/zeya/0.6-1/+files/zeya_0.6-1.debian.tar.gz
> --
> Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
> stop html mail | always bottom-post
> www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16

Thanks for the links and everything else!
Martin

--
-msx