Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
BxS

Default Microchip Compilers Cleanup

Hi TUs,

I think is time for a cleanup in microchip compilers that I maintain,
lets start:

a) Merge hitech-picc_bin[1] and hitech-picc-18_bin[2] to
microchip-mplabxc8-bin[3].
Microchip bought [1] and [2] but now they are now legacy compilers,
Microchip decide to make [1]+[2]=[3], microchip-mplabxc8-bin[3] are just
the new versions of [1] and [2] packaged together with some small additions.
The code for [1]&[2] should just compile in [3], if not the changes
needed are very minimal, like in a normal new compiler version.

[1]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52776
[2]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52777
[3]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57911

b) Merge microchip-mplabc32_bin[4] to microchip-mplabxc32-bin[5].
[4] are now a legacy compiler, Microchip decide to make [4]->[5],
microchip-mplabxc32-bin[5] are just the new versions of [4], with some
additions like C++ support.
The code for [4] should just compile in [5], if not the changes needed
are minimal, like in a new version of a compiler.

Also [4] for Linux don't appear any more in any Microchip webpage.
[4]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52726
[5]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57912

c) Delete hitech-dspicc-bin[6].
[6] are a legacy compiler for a long time, Microchip in [6] page says:
"Microchip highly recommends the MPLAB C Compiler for PIC24 and dsPIC
(SW006012) for new designs."
Note that the recommended (SW006012) are this days already also a legacy
compiler, the (SW006012) have been replaced by
microchip-mplabxc16-bin[7], so you can have an idea.

Also [6] have 0 votes.
[6]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54315
[7]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=59174

d) Delete hitech-picc32-bin[8].
[8] are a legacy compiler for a long time, Microchip in [8] page says:
"Microchip highly recommends the MPLAB C Compiler for PIC32 (SW006015)
for new designs."
Note that the recommended (SW006015)=microchip-mplabc32_bin[4] are this
days already also a legacy compiler, as you can see in my b) merge
request, so you can have an idea.

[8]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54315

Sorry for all the requests, thanks for everything.

Best Regards,
BxS

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Connor Behan

On 13/08/12 03:57 PM, BxS wrote:
> Hi TUs,
>
> I think is time for a cleanup in microchip compilers that I maintain,
> lets start:
>
> a) Merge hitech-picc_bin[1] and hitech-picc-18_bin[2] to
> microchip-mplabxc8-bin[3].
> Microchip bought [1] and [2] but now they are now legacy compilers,
> Microchip decide to make [1]+[2]=[3], microchip-mplabxc8-bin[3] are
> just the new versions of [1] and [2] packaged together with some small
> additions.
> The code for [1]&[2] should just compile in [3], if not the changes
> needed are very minimal, like in a normal new compiler version.
> [1]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52776
> [2]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52777
> [3]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57911

Merged.
> b) Merge microchip-mplabc32_bin[4] to microchip-mplabxc32-bin[5].
> [4] are now a legacy compiler, Microchip decide to make [4]->[5],
> microchip-mplabxc32-bin[5] are just the new versions of [4], with some
> additions like C++ support.
> The code for [4] should just compile in [5], if not the changes needed
> are minimal, like in a new version of a compiler.
> Also [4] for Linux don't appear any more in any Microchip webpage.
> [4]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52726
> [5]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57912

Merged.
> c) Delete hitech-dspicc-bin[6].
> [6] are a legacy compiler for a long time, Microchip in [6] page says:
> "Microchip highly recommends the MPLAB C Compiler for PIC24 and dsPIC
> (SW006012) for new designs."
> Note that the recommended (SW006012) are this days already also a
> legacy compiler, the (SW006012) have been replaced by
> microchip-mplabxc16-bin[7], so you can have an idea.
> Also [6] have 0 votes.
> [6]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54315
> [7]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=59174

Deleted [6].
> d) Delete hitech-picc32-bin[8].
> [8] are a legacy compiler for a long time, Microchip in [8] page says:
> "Microchip highly recommends the MPLAB C Compiler for PIC32 (SW006015)
> for new designs."
> Note that the recommended (SW006015)=microchip-mplabc32_bin[4] are
> this days already also a legacy compiler, as you can see in my b)
> merge request, so you can have an idea.
> [8]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54315

Deleted https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54316 which is what I
assume you meant.
> Sorry for all the requests, thanks for everything.
>
> Best Regards,
> BxS

Thanks!