Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 AM
JaDa

Default Flashplugin DRM free?

I need some help and ideas, because the new Flashplugin 9.0.124.0 comes
with DRM.

Is it legal, if we crack it and build a DRM free Flashplugin?

--
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM, JaDa <jada@usalug.net> wrote:
> I need some help and ideas, because the new Flashplugin 9.0.124.0 comes with
> DRM.
>
> Is it legal, if we crack it and build a DRM free Flashplugin?

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. If you mean that
flashplugin *support* DRM media, then what is the problem with that?
Are you suggesting that I should not be allowed to play files I
purchased which have DRM? While the technology is shitty, I'm sure we
all agree, there's no real reason to get rid of applications which
will play/support DRM'd media.

If the installer itself is DRM'd, that's a different story.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 AM
JaDa

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:20:32 -0700, Aaron Griffin
I need some help and ideas, because the new Flashplugin 9.0.124.0 comes
with

DRM.

Is it legal, if we crack it and build a DRM free Flashplugin?

If the installer itself is DRM'd, that's a different story.

I like to get it DRM free, because I don't know what DRM really does. Off
course if someone like it with DRM support that will be no problem for me.
But I am sure many people don't like DRM.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. If you mean that
flashplugin *support* DRM media, then what is the problem with that?

The reason is, that many Websites depend on Flashpluin 8 & higher.
Alternative "Gnash" Builds are not ready for it.

Is it legal, to crack Adobe Flash 9 and build a DRM free Flashplugin
package? Then keep this package in AUR for those people how don't like
DRM?

--
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM, JaDa <jada@usalug.net> wrote:
> I like to get it DRM free, because I don't know what DRM really does.

Seriously?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Allan McRae

JaDa wrote:

Is it legal, to crack Adobe Flash 9 and build a DRM free Flashplugin
package? Then keep this package in AUR for those people how don't
like DRM?

Well you seem to have decided so by uploading one to AUR.... what that
is just the original flash plugin with a new name. Strange you uploaded
it to AUR and then asked for help to make it do what is says in the
package name rather than firstly using the forum to try getting help
building it. It is almost as useful as uploading and empty PKGBUILD...

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/4/10, JaDa <jada@usalug.net>:
> Is it legal, to crack Adobe Flash 9 and build a DRM free Flashplugin
> package? Then keep this package in AUR for those people how don't like DRM?

In short - it is illegal.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Rickard Eriksson

I took the liberty of quickly reading through the EULA of Adobe Flash
Player. This is fairly straight forward:

[quote]
2.5 No Modification.

2.5.1 You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works
based upon the Software. You may not reverse engineer, decompile,
disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the
Software except to the extent you may be expressly permitted to
decompile under applicable law, it is essential to do so in order to
achieve operability of the Software with another software program, and
you have first requested Adobe to provide the information necessary to
achieve such operability and Adobe has not made such information
available. Adobe has the right to impose reasonable conditions and to
request a reasonable fee before providing such information. Any such
information supplied by Adobe and any information obtained by you by
such permitted decompilation may only be used by you for the purpose
described herein and may not be disclosed to any third party or used to
create any software which is substantially similar to the expression of
the Software. Requests for information should be directed to the Adobe
Customer Support Department.

[End Quote]

You can find the source of this at
http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players/flash/

Under section 2.5 No Modification.

In short this means you cannot redistribute your modified versions of
this software in a legal way unless you have their approval.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Ondřej Kučera

Hi,

> I took the liberty of quickly reading through the EULA of Adobe Flash
> Player. This is fairly straight forward:

> [quote]
> 2.5 No Modification.

> 2.5.1 You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works
> based upon the Software. You may not reverse engineer, decompile,
> disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the
> Software except to the extent you may be expressly permitted to
> decompile under applicable law, it is essential to do so in order to
> achieve operability of the Software with another software program, and
> you have first requested Adobe to provide the information necessary to
> achieve such operability and Adobe has not made such information
> available. Adobe has the right to impose reasonable conditions and to
> request a reasonable fee before providing such information. Any such
> information supplied by Adobe and any information obtained by you by
> such permitted decompilation may only be used by you for the purpose
> described herein and may not be disclosed to any third party or used to
> create any software which is substantially similar to the expression of
> the Software. Requests for information should be directed to the Adobe
> Customer Support Department.
> [End Quote]

> You can find the source of this at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players/flash/
> Under section 2.5 No Modification.

> In short this means you cannot redistribute your modified versions of
> this software in a legal way unless you have their approval.

On the other hand - if it is only a PKGBUILD placed in unsupported,
nobody's doing any redistributing of their software. Also, all the
modifying is done by the end user, so it's up to them whether they
want to do this (and risk some legal issues) or not. Thirdly,
"illegal" is a word we should be careful about because each user is
living in a different country with different laws. Which means that
some parts of some EULAs might be simply invalid in some countries,
so some users don't have to care about those parts.

Not that I want to encourage the existence of the package (I don't
use Flash much and right now I'm totally uninterested in DRM flash
animations/applications, so I don't really care) but the way I see it
is this:
(1) It *might* be illegal to have said PKGBUILD available for
download from a webpage - this depends on the laws of the country
where aur.archlinux.org resides. So this should be checked first.
(2) If it is not the case, people responsible for running AUR are off
the hook and then it's up to the users - it *might* be illegal to use
the PKGBUILD to modify Adobe Flash in their country and it might not.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake in my assumptions.

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera

Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM
"Callan Barrett"

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Ondřej Kučera <ondrej.kucera@centrum.cz> wrote:
> [...]
> some parts of some EULAs might be simply invalid in some countries,
> so some users don't have to care about those parts.
>
> Not that I want to encourage the existence of the package (I don't
> use Flash much and right now I'm totally uninterested in DRM flash
> animations/applications, so I don't really care) but the way I see it
> is this:
> (1) It *might* be illegal to have said PKGBUILD available for
> download from a webpage - this depends on the laws of the country
> where aur.archlinux.org resides. So this should be checked first.
> (2) If it is not the case, people responsible for running AUR are off
> the hook and then it's up to the users - it *might* be illegal to use
> the PKGBUILD to modify Adobe Flash in their country and it might not.
>
> Hopefully I didn't make a mistake in my assumptions.

Even if it was technically legal to keep a PKGBUILD on the AUR I don't
think it should be home to this sort of crap. JaDa, you haven't given
any real reason for what you're talking about other than telling
everyone you're completely ignorant of what DRM actually is and what
flash player actually does regarding it. Can someone delete the
duplicate package from the AUR? I'm sure nobody else is going to steal
your great idea so no need to park the name.

--
Callan 'wizzomafizzo' Barrett