Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
SJ_UnderWater

Default mDNSResponder on Blacklist

I recently tried to submit a package for mDNSResponder to AUR and it was rejected, saying that mDNSResponder is on the blacklist, but after some searching, I wasn't able to find any reference to it in the repositories or the blacklist reason. I realize that avahi provides the same functionality, but I'm willing to support MDNSR and it has become an optional dependency for Netatalk's newest alpha, so I would like to be able to link against it.
The open-source package itself isn't the best-supported by Apple, but with a little work it's perfectly usable and provides the "official" solution; the IETF has asked Apple to submit mDNS as a standards track RFC [http://files.multicastdns.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns.txt]. The fact that it's lightweight (184KiB, no deps) doesn't hurt either.
See the PKGBUILD at: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1088978

Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Dave Reisner

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 01:53:44PM -0400, SJ_UnderWater wrote:
> I recently tried to submit a package for mDNSResponder to AUR and it was rejected, saying that mDNSResponder is on the blacklist, but after some searching, I wasn't able to find any reference to it in the repositories or the blacklist reason. I realize that avahi provides the same functionality, but I'm willing to support MDNSR and it has become an optional dependency for Netatalk's newest alpha, so I would like to be able to link against it.
> The open-source package itself isn't the best-supported by Apple, but with a little work it's perfectly usable and provides the "official" solution; the IETF has asked Apple to submit mDNS as a standards track RFC [http://files.multicastdns.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns.txt]. The fact that it's lightweight (184KiB, no deps) doesn't hurt either.
> See the PKGBUILD at: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1088978

Hi,

mdnsresponder is a provide/conflict/replace of avahi, which is why
you're being blocked from uploading it from the AUR. Whether or not
that's intended is another story.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 17 April 2012 20:29, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> mdnsresponder is a provide/conflict/replace of avahi, which is why
> you're being blocked from uploading it from the AUR. Whether or not
> that's intended is another story.

I think it is safe to remove it from blacklist. At least it doesn't
make any sense to blacklist it only because avahi provides mDNS
implementation.

Lukas

Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
SJ_UnderWater

Avahi no longer "replaces" mDNSResponder, but I still can't upload it. Also I've now split the package into mDNSResponder & nss-mDNSResponder to better fit the existing method.